Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, a PCA National Instructor, How Was Your Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 04:10 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
How about that we were in the same class. I recall Tremper telling us about PCA Club Racing and how his team Above the Crease Racing got its name!

Alex H.Bell II 200801042 First Settlers
LOL. Then I went on to buy Tim's car and raced it with that banner for the first couple years.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:35 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I might be able to guess what the "Crease" is referencing
Old 12-08-2018, 10:14 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

This old thread might be of interest to new instructors
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...me-a-bone.html

For me, the reward of teaching something I love, to others has been very rewarding.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:53 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by seanseidman
I think I might be able to guess what the "Crease" is referencing

When the results are printed lanscape across two pages, and you finish in the top half of the field, your result is printed “above the crease” in the pages.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:11 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993

When the results are printed lanscape across two pages, and you finish in the top half of the field, your result is printed “above the crease” in the pages.

Specifically refers to the front page when you fold it in half but that works too. In multi-class racing, where you end up on the sheet depends a lot on groupings but it's always good to be above the crease.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:18 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Specifically refers to the front page when you fold it in half but that works too. In multi-class racing, where you end up on the sheet depends a lot on groupings but it's always good to be above the crease.
Thank you!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats to the OP for admittance into that hollowed clique, the PCA instructor core. Yes, that comment is dripping with sarcasm and realize that this post is going to ruffle some feathers. I am always bemused at the amount of horror stories throughout this forum about bad students with no equal time for the inverse. Speaking from strictly a left seat guy, yes, I understand that safety is and must be the most and the second and third most important thing(s). But my advice is, for cryin' out loud, please never forget that the student is there to have fun as well. Last time out with a group that has the letters c, a and p in its name, I uttered a "goddamnit" to myself for having missed an apex. I was promptly rewarded for having acknowledged my own mistake with a stern "please watch your language sir!!" from the guy in the right seat. I'm not making that up. I should have stuck my must out the left window, pitted, parked and explained to the guy in the right seat that nobody is going to talk to me that way and then asked for a new instructor. Unfortunately, I did not and the weekend went downhill from there. (Actually, I would think the correct euphemism would be "all uphill". ) Ruined my whole experience with the PCA and I won't likely ever return...though I doubt they give a damn. Sorry for jacking this thread.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Batman33
Sorry for jacking this thread.
Somehow I doubt that... Thanks for the input, it's appreciated! <dripping with sarcasm>...
Old 12-15-2018, 02:11 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't know why people assign a bad experience with a specific instructor to an entire organization. PCA instructors and the Chin instructors and the BMW instructors and the SCCA instructors (and group X instructors and group Y instructors and group Z instructors) are a giant overlapping Venn diagram.

It isn't PCA policy (to my knowledge) to prohibit mild swearing in the driver's seat; and PCA has no way of knowing if someone has a bad experience unless you tell them so. Posting on rennlist months later does not constitute telling PCA about it.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:36 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Congrats to the OP for admittance into that hollowed clique, the PCA instructor core. Yes, that comment is dripping with sarcasm and realize that this post is going to ruffle some feathers. I am always bemused at the amount of horror stories throughout this forum about bad students with no equal time for the inverse. Speaking from strictly a left seat guy, yes, I understand that safety is and must be the most and the second and third most important thing(s). But my advice is, for cryin' out loud, please never forget that the student is there to have fun as well. Last time out with a group that has the letters c, a and p in its name, I uttered a "goddamnit" to myself for having missed an apex. I was promptly rewarded for having acknowledged my own mistake with a stern "please watch your language sir!!" from the guy in the right seat. I'm not making that up. I should have stuck my must out the left window, pitted, parked and explained to the guy in the right seat that nobody is going to talk to me that way and then asked for a new instructor. Unfortunately, I did not and the weekend went downhill from there. (Actually, I would think the correct euphemism would be "all uphill". ) Ruined my whole experience with the PCA and I won't likely ever return...though I doubt they give a damn. Sorry for jacking this thread.
Just taking a guess, I assume that is because, generally, the really bad students are worse than really bad instructors, and yes, this is driven mostly by safety. Any group of people are going to have variances, and yes, I've had my share of bad instructors as well. There was that guy who was *always* late to grid, and even missed one session when I was *not* soloed. Then there was that instructor whose instruction consisted of bragging about his race car. Neither one of these chuckle heads really impacted safety.

I suspect the bad student stories tend to be a bit more interesting that bad instructor stories - but they are out there.

In my experience, most instructors care a great deal that their students have fun. Also, most instructors are common to geographic area rather than just one club. I've instructed for 3-4 groups beyond PCA and most of those people also instructed with PCA.

-Mike
Old 12-15-2018, 08:37 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I don't know why people assign a bad experience with a specific instructor to an entire organization. PCA instructors and the Chin instructors and the BMW instructors and the SCCA instructors (and group X instructors and group Y instructors and group Z instructors) are a giant overlapping Venn diagram.
Yep
Old 12-15-2018, 10:25 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Originally Posted by DTMiller

It isn't PCA policy (to my knowledge) to prohibit mild swearing in the driver's seat; and PCA has no way of knowing if someone has a bad experience unless you tell them so. Posting on rennlist months later does not constitute telling PCA about it.
No it sure does not. That's why I had discussions with the CI and ultimately a long conversation with the chapter president about the whole experience, thank you very much.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:29 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Somehow I doubt that... Thanks for the input, it's appreciated! <dripping with sarcasm>...
Wait. What. Let me guess. You are an instructor.
The following users liked this post:
Bman (10-23-2019)
Old 12-16-2018, 12:07 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

wow, one person telling you to watch your language ruined your entire experience with PCA...... you need to grow some thicker skin. Most mature adults would have simply apologized for offending someone with your language and then asked for a new instructor since you two clearly were not a good match. But, allowing that isolated moment to ruin your entire experience is on you - not the instructor - and certainly not on PCA.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:11 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Just taking a guess, I assume that is because, generally, the really bad students are worse than really bad instructors, and yes, this is driven mostly by safety. Any group of people are going to have variances, and yes, I've had my share of bad instructors as well. There was that guy who was *always* late to grid, and even missed one session when I was *not* soloed. Then there was that instructor whose instruction consisted of bragging about his race car. Neither one of these chuckle heads really impacted safety.

-Mike
I have been lucky, only one instructor that was not great. Even, then he was on time for run groups and had respect for my time on the track. He was a well respected club racer.
After the first run group debrief session, I explained I was there at a PCA HPDE at a new track with new chapter. While I really do want to learn the line, I also was there to learn how to drive my car. I did want to learn the line, but to someone who requires a right seat person, sometimes there is a lot more than learning the line, brake now, turn now, accelerate, unwind etc,.
For example other instructors have explained why the line is the line, not just learning camber of track or exact apex, but the why, and how it applied to my skill level, my car etc. Also, that there are race lines, as well as HPDE lines on the same track, they overlap at points but not always the same.
As instructors, remember how much of a thirst for driving details and feedback you had when you were still being instructed?
It is still the same for us in the left seat. If the order of run groups do facilitate a detailed review of session, come back to it when time allows. That is how we improve for the next session.
(My best instructor was 10 minutes late for a session, it didn't matter, the quality out weighted the quantity)
just my $.02

-David

Quick Reply: Finally, a PCA National Instructor, How Was Your Experience?