Sponsored by:

Help with clubs at Lime Rock for DE

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:14 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

While a LOT of people now call themselves "coaches" when in fact they are focused on demonstrating "do as I do," Elivan is a GIFTED coach, great communicator and far more interested in YOUR improvement than showing off mad skillz. A true professional.
And a class act too . .
Old 11-27-2018, 09:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Another place where Niagara Region PCA gets this right. When I went with them they split slow and fast cars but you were free to go out in either group should you so desire. I had my base 991 and felt more comfortable in slow group. In my E46M3 I would have felt ok in either group.
Very impressed with Niagara's program.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-27-2018, 09:20 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 27 Posts

There are a number of people in leadership positions with Niagara that understand our students are our customers. As an instructor with them we are continually reminded that these people chose to spend their money with us and we need to treat them in the best way possible. It's part of the culture. On behalf the other instructors thank you for the compliments.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:26 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Like severeral, but not all tracks, Lime Rock has a calendar with all the driving events up on their website. Handy reference on which clubs are there when. Probably won’t be up to date yet for 2019.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:21 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver8
At Lime Rock CVR allows only Porsches to participate. The do give special dispensation to instructors if they would like to bring a different car. Their advanced DE at Watkins Glen allows certain other marques to run.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...8-and-9-a.html

Aaron
LOL Mustangs and Camaros are OK but not Miatas? That does seem strangely arbitrary.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

I used to run with SCDA 10 years ago but stopped DE for medical reasons and became an autocross addict. But this past season started doing DE again and I did just as many SCDA events as PCA region events. Did not make it to LRP with them this season.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My favorite LRP event of year!. Ferrari - Empire Region - unmuffled- All welcome with approval. Grouped by skill level. August 2 & 3- Special hotel rates already arranged. PM me for info
Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver8
At Lime Rock CVR allows only Porsches to participate. They do give special dispensation to instructors if they would like to bring a different car. Their advanced DE at Watkins Glen allows certain other marques to run.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...8-and-9-a.html

Aaron
That statement is incorrect, though I do like your "Special dispensation" terminology. I was a CVR trained instructor in good standing and catagorically denied the use of my Subaru STi at Limerock. At that time I checked with every region within 500 miles to ascertain who allows non-marques to attend PCA events and was told by each and every one all marques are welcome if properly prepared and inspected. Is what it is, I did what I needed to, and moved on after some initial crying here. I will agree with Peter's statement that their instructors are among the best, as my Instructor training/mentoring (and all of my peers at the time) took over 1 year to complete.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That statement is incorrect, though I do like your "Special dispensation" terminology. I was a CVR trained instructor in good standing and catagorically denied the use of my Subaru STi at Limerock. At that time I checked with every region within 500 miles to ascertain who allows non-marques to attend PCA events and was told by each and every one all marques are welcome if properly prepared and inspected. Is what it is, I did what I needed to, and moved on after some initial crying here. I will agree with Peter's statement that their instructors are among the best, as my Instructor training/mentoring (and all of my peers at the time) took over 1 year to complete.
I know you have had your issues over the years with CVR so I appreciate your not using this thread as opportunity to bash the region, and moreover, to recognize the instructor core and training as being among the best. Thank you for that.

Here is the takeaway from this thread - different regions have different ways of doing things. These rules are the preference of the CVR members - its as simple as that. There is no right or wrong to this discussion. If other regions want a mix of cars at LRP they are free to do so. Years ago I drove with NASA and it was many different marques. They were great but when I joined CVR I felt like I was on with a group of people who shared my passion for Porsches and that is where I have done 98% of my DE driving. Let's not forget, PCA club racing is Porsche only as well.

Personally, I feel bad if anyone is turned away but I like the fact that our region is passionate about Porsches. In the area that I live I could run with at least 5 or 6 different regions but I choose CVR because of the way they run their events. I went from a complete noob green driver, to a PCA instructor, as well as racing at the pointy end of the stick in GTB1, because of CVR.

Enuff said!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:14 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I have done only 1 CVR event. It was at The Glen. It was about 3 or 4 seasons ago. I was yellow at the time. (That was about 120 track days ago).
I was still an instructed student at that time and I was tracking a much faster car than I am now. It was a brand new 2015 Turbo S Cabriolet with no safety equipment. It was my DD. (See avatar to the left). I got it in 2014, so I am now thinking it was a late season event in 2014 or an early event in 2015. Really not sure.
My instructor was a guy named Tom, or Tommy, or Thomas. I think he was working at registration as well.
He was very helpful and I loved his "Brooklyn" attitude. He called some of the other drivers "chuckle-heads" when they got into a train or held us up. Then when I made a mistake, he called me a chuckle-head. I loved it.
I honestly believe that event was one of the reasons I really fell in love with WGI and the DE/Track culture in general.
I will be back next season to do at least a couple of the CVR events, and yes, I will be driving a Porsche (2014 981 S with all the safety equipment, seats, 6 pts, roll bar, and suspension upgrades). My now dedicated track car.
Not sure why I remember that DE so vividly, but I know I had a great time and that DE was my first time at WGI. I was smiling all the whole way home. What a great time. You folks welcomed me in to the event with much courtesy, respect, and penchant to help me learn.
Looking forward to finally getting back with CVR next season. You guys definitely have a unique track culture, as do all the regions I have run with. To each region his own. That's what makes running with so many different regions so great. You get to see how different regions run things, and I learn differently with each region I run with.
Next season can't come soon enough.
CVR has a unique culture for sure. I loved it. I think I remember it so vividly because it was my first time at The Glen and I have been in love with that track ever since.
Thanks Tom. Thanks CVR.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:19 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Here is the takeaway from this thread - different regions have different ways of doing things. These rules are the preference of the CVR members - its as simple as that. There is no right or wrong to this discussion. If other regions want a mix of cars at LRP they are free to do so. Years ago I drove with NASA and it was many different marques. They were great but when I joined CVR I felt like I was on with a group of people who shared my passion for Porsches and that is where I have done 98% of my DE driving. Let's not forget, PCA club racing is Porsche only as well.

Personally, I feel bad if anyone is turned away but I like the fact that our region is passionate about Porsches. In the area that I live I could run with at least 5 or 6 different regions but I choose CVR because of the way they run their events. I went from a complete noob green driver, to a PCA instructor, as well as racing at the pointy end of the stick in GTB1, because of CVR.
Enuff said!
+1

As a driver of a car without a marque club I'm very grateful to be able to drive with the various PCA regions that do allow other marques, as well as many open track/lapping entities like Trackmasters that also welcome them. TM, in particular, is to me as CVR is to you because, though not a marque club per se (though there are certainly plenty of Porsches there ) at day's end they simply run a quality event with great people (both drivers and principals) who are quick to lend encouragement and sincerely want you to enjoy yourself.

Gary

Quick Reply: Help with clubs at Lime Rock for DE