Sponsored by:

Apex Pro unit for sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 03:04 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Apex Pro unit for sale

I have an Apex Pro unit for sale. I used it a couple of weekends. $325 shipped - includes the magnetic mount, charging cable, and soft case. PM me if interested....

Old 11-25-2018, 05:29 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

PM Sent...
Old 11-25-2018, 08:24 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interested
Old 11-25-2018, 09:43 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry - just sold it - thanks for the interest...
Old 11-25-2018, 10:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I've got mine for sale as well. Should have it back this week and it was just updated by Apex.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:28 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've got mine for sale as well. Should have it back this week and it was just updated by Apex.
Matt--What do you think of it? How was (or was it) it helpful?
Old 11-26-2018, 08:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Matt--What do you think of it? How was (or was it) it helpful?
I think there are is a group of people who like it and sell them. Not saying my driving is beyond reproach. Andrew and Austin are nice guys and really working on this.

I originally had one of the first units they sold (without GPS), then they upgraded me to one with GPS, and are putting the latest electronics revision in it.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:52 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 527 Likes on 282 Posts

My experience with the Apex Pro

My first time using it I didn't notice it at all - it was too far out of my field of vision. Moved it closer and actually started yelling at in in the car "WTF Red....I can't go through that turn any faster!" Eventually started saying to myself (or out loud..I dunno), "ok, fine I'll go faster"...and I did. Got more green. and faster lap times. So I kept trying until it was almost all green. (still yelling at it when I saw red).

I still obviously use my AiM and compared data from early sessions to later ones (you can do that with the Apex Pro app too) and saw that yes, I was carrying more speed through the turns. Difference with using the Apex was, I could make the correcting IN THE NEXT LAP instead of in the next session. That's the benefit - simple feedback that you can react to instantaneously instead of waiting until later in the day...or the next day.

Is it as complete of a tool as something like an AiM Solo2? No, but it's not meant to be. It's meant to be simple feedback that you can react to immediately. I see it as something that's really good for, say, learning a new track where you don't know the limits, working with a new set up or a new car, or helping through those stubborn turns that you just can't master. Or even a good personal coaching tool (the crew function on the app is pretty cool too).

We've sold a few and the people like it. Gives them something to work with without the complexity of Race Analysis.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-27-2018, 08:37 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I think there are is a group of people who like it and sell them.
Hahaha! Well, as a long time dealer for more than six lines, and Apex Pro's first dealer, I think that's true for a lot of folks!

"A group of people" include drivers like David Donohue, Robby Foley and Skip Barber champion and IMSA GT3 Cup winner Jake Eidson. Yes, there was a promotional aspect, but now, all the Skip Barber Racing School cars are equipped with them.

As well as true for several different lines of equipment that capture and present driver performance information. One size does NOT fit all, for sure.

They're not sports teams. You need to buy what works for YOU, not what someone is "selling."

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
...actually started yelling at in in the car "WTF Red....I can't go through that turn any faster!" Eventually started saying to myself (or out loud..I dunno), "ok, fine I'll go faster"...and I did. Got more green. and faster lap times.

Difference with using the Apex was, I could make the correcting IN THE NEXT LAP instead of in the next session. That's the benefit - simple feedback that you can react to instantaneously instead of waiting until later in the day...or the next day.

Is it as complete of a tool as something like an AiM Solo2? No, but it's not meant to be. It's meant to be simple feedback that you can react to immediately. I see it as something that's really good for, say, learning a new track where you don't know the limits, working with a new set up or a new car, or helping through those stubborn turns that you just can't master. Or even a good personal coaching tool (the crew function on the app is pretty cool too).

Gives them something to work with without the complexity of Race Analysis.
There you go. Three good reasons, supported by DATA, that show this is a very USEFUL and easy to use tool. Even for a driver as experienced as yourself!

Despite the low cost and small package, relative to other systems, the Apex Pro has power beyond tools like the Solo 2 in the fact that it uses a much more capable IMU and incorporates "learning" capability, whereas the Solo 2 is just a recorder. It can calculate the amount of forces acting on the car in ALL axis, and readjust on-the-fly, an accurate assessment of "how much is left?" I call it a risk-management tool!

The developers offer more user support, videos, live clinics, explanations and examples of how to use it than AiM, MoTeC and a few others combined, so there's that.

It's a worthwhile option, after you do some homework. They are constantly making the app easier to use and more powerful. For many, the Apex Pro means NO more laptop at the track required. And as you've pointed out, the learning curve for AiM RaceStudio is very steep, especially for folks that don't look at this stuff every day.

Is it for everyone? No, but I have many customers who use it alone and, in concert with other loggers, for a more complete, VALIDATED assessment of what they're doing in the car.

I do have a Cyber Monday week special going on this week until Friday on in-stock units, all of which are the latest and greatest hardware release. Let me know if I can help.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-27-2018, 10:06 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Thanks, Peter. Great feedback, as always.

What's the Cyberweek special price? Feel free to send me PM.

Do you know if they are making any material changes in the device (h/w or s/w capabilities) this year?

I may go to PRI next week and I believe they run specials, there, too.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Thanks, Peter. Great feedback, as always.

What's the Cyberweek special price? Feel free to send me PM.

Do you know if they are making any material changes in the device (h/w or s/w capabilities) this year?

I may go to PRI next week and I believe they run specials, there, too.
Will only PM. Same with other equipment.

No h/w, AFAIK, but s/w is always under improvement, and it's all about unlocking and displaying more of the power and capability of the unit.

Yep, free mounts.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
My experience with the Apex Pro

My first time using it I didn't notice it at all - it was too far out of my field of vision. Moved it closer and actually started yelling at in in the car "WTF Red....I can't go through that turn any faster!" Eventually started saying to myself (or out loud..I dunno), "ok, fine I'll go faster"...and I did. Got more green. and faster lap times. So I kept trying until it was almost all green. (still yelling at it when I saw red).

I still obviously use my AiM and compared data from early sessions to later ones (you can do that with the Apex Pro app too) and saw that yes, I was carrying more speed through the turns. Difference with using the Apex was, I could make the correcting IN THE NEXT LAP instead of in the next session. That's the benefit - simple feedback that you can react to instantaneously instead of waiting until later in the day...or the next day.

We've sold a few and the people like it. Gives them something to work with without the complexity of Race Analysis.
Good feedback. I know you've worked with it a bunch and found it really useful. I think that is why you are doing so well selling them as "I'm not only the President, I'm a client!" You use it, support it, and understand how it works.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahaha! Well, as a long time dealer for more than six lines, and Apex Pro's first dealer, I think that's true for a lot of folks!

They're not sports teams. You need to buy what works for YOU, not what someone is "selling."

Is it for everyone? No, but I have many customers who use it alone and, in concert with other loggers, for a more complete, VALIDATED assessment of what they're doing in the car.
Sorry if you feel I called you're baby ugly - that's not what I meant (or said). Like you pointed out, different people learn different ways and find different systems more useful. There are lots of people that love their units and find it really helpful, which is great. I'm not one of them.

We completely agree that people need to figure out what system works for them and then use it.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good feedback. I know you've worked with it a bunch and found it really useful.

We completely agree that people need to figure out what system works for them and then use it.
Yep, while I haven’t worked with it a bunch, nor is it “my baby,” I have sold quite a few. And, I see huge value in the measures it provides, all readily available without any manipulation, configuration, or “math channel” formulation. No learning curve. Wow!

With my understanding of how people learn, assimilate information and GET faster, I do know that it offers benefits that are a) central to the reason why pros are quicker than ams (most consistent, FULL use of the tire contact patch) and b) a device capable of AI, “machine learning,” if you will. Just as drivers improve, this device is capable of resetting the bar.

AiM and MoTeC can’t do that, while Race Technology and VBOX can at least tell you where that might be, but neither of the latter do that calculation themselves (real-time) or with as much precision and “local knowledge.”

The beauty of the maturation of this technology is not in improvements to the capability or accuracy of measure, it’s making the benefit more easily accessible and easy to use for the end user. That’s all.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:09 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I like the idea of this unit. I am curious how the unit can simply give green/red in any car with varying car capabilities? In other words, how does it know my car/setup traction limit? What if I change tire compound or tire sizes? I think I am overthinking the function of this unit. What am I missing here? I assume there is an initial setup for baseline.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by moburki
I like the idea of this unit. I am curious how the unit can simply give green/red in any car with varying car capabilities? In other words, how does it know my car/setup traction limit? What if I change tire compound or tire sizes? I think I am overthinking the function of this unit. What am I missing here? I assume there is an initial setup for baseline.
I remembers you're max combined G (among other things) and then compares where you are to that. The max becomes your top level red light and then where you're driving to is the green. No initial setup for limits. You drive and it keeps using your performance to measure you against it.

Imagine you were on a skid pad and doing a constant speed with a constant radius. It would read that G level and say you are at the max. But, if you went any faster or turned tighter without sliding, it would see a new G limit and when you returned to the steady state, you would have red lights saying you could do better. It actively catches the "flowing brilliance" and then compares you to it (using all the other stuff in the algorithm).

Quick Reply: Apex Pro unit for sale