Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA TROPHY EAST 2019 series announcement

Old 11-13-2018, 04:10 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts
Default PCA TROPHY EAST 2019 series announcement

As a 3x competitor of PCA Trophy East I would like to advise any would be competitors that the 2019 Trophy East tentative schedule is out.
$20k entry. $10k Deposits are neccessary to secure the series for a minimum of 20 cars by December 15th (100% refundable if 20 count is not met), but a maxium of 35 cars for decent size run group.

All 2016-2019 Cayman GT4CS in any spec or mix match is welcome.
All 991.1 & 991.2 GT3 Cup "as delivered"
All 997.2 GT3R and 991.1 GT3R "as delivered" will be accepted at this point. GT3 MR Cup also accepted in any interest comes forward...

The series is a great format for those interested in condensed run group based on factory Porsche race cars.
It also serves as great preperation for those interested in moving up to IMSA/PWC or simply getting seat time inbetween IMSA/PWC events.

Enjoy the relaxed 13/13 rule, less driver's meetings, less traffic, lots of track time and good tracks. What is not to like?

website http://clubsport.pcaclubracing.org/contact/
email Pcatrophyeast@pca.org

COTA – March 29-31

Road Atlanta – April 12-14

VIR – June 21-23

Road America – August 31 – September 2

Daytona – October 25-27 (Enduro under lights)

6th race TBA

Last edited by tcsracing1; 11-13-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
All 997.2 GT3R and 991.1 GT3R "as delivered" will be accepted at this point. GT3 MR Cup also accepted in any interest comes forward...
How would classing work with that?
7R and 1R in the same class, or?
MR participation would be low given there are only 3 cars in the country - but I'm interested whether R or MR.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:29 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLA997
MR participation would be low given there are only 3 cars in the country - but I'm interested whether R or MR.
The classing would more then likely be handled the same way as Pirelli Trophy West.
Trophy West have listed 997.2 GT3R, 991.1GT3R and 991.2 MR as eligible cars for their 2019 series.
Trophy West have 8 races for 2019 and 4 of them are Trophy East invitational which could make for interesting racing for Trophy East racers thinking about participating in an east-west battle!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:36 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

I hadn't heard PCA was considering allowing the R's and MR's. That is going to be a lot of classes. Masters category for each as well?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coryf
I hadn't heard PCA was considering allowing the R's and MR's. That is going to be a lot of classes. Masters category for each as well?
PCA said they would welcome the R's and the "unicorn" MR's.
Not sure how they will be classed. One would assume the same way trophy west will class them.

I think it is time to eliminate the masters class...
Old 11-14-2018, 01:40 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
I've got an email out to find out exactly how they will class all 3; 7R, 1R, MR
Old 11-14-2018, 02:04 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I've got an email out to find out exactly how they will class all 3; 7R, 1R, MR
I think they would appreciate your input on how you would like to see the classes grouped for those cars.
They are looking to make it appealing for the owners of these special factory cars.

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2018, 08:47 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Would love to hear from current trophy series participants why they chose this series over regular PCA racing? It's 3-4x regular registration fee, fields seemed much smaller than red group during the race weekends I attended in 18, looser 13/13 may be a disadvantage because there's not much discouragement for driving over your head and lap times don't look any faster than red group. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the insights.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Would love to hear from current trophy series participants why they chose this series over regular PCA racing? It's 3-4x regular registration fee, fields seemed much smaller than red group during the race weekends I attended in 18, looser 13/13 may be a disadvantage because there's not much discouragement for driving over your head and lap times don't look any faster than red group. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the insights.
I have been running trophy east for 3 seasons. Having a smaller run group has allowed for a lot of open track during practice, qualifying and racing. Not the typical 50 car pile up of turn one red group with super slow cars and super fast cars and everything inbetween.
The one driver's meeting is also refreshing.
Relaxed 13/13 has been good for the series. The fight at the top of the field has been healthy.
The cost of entry has been worth it for the quality track time.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:47 PM
sbriscoe
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Firehawk, I ran the Trophy East Series as a rookie last season and have the same experience as tcsracing, who was one of my teammates. In fact, looking back at his '16 series standings, we had close to the same points total at the end of both our rookie seasons, and since then, he has improved as I hope to improve with more track and racing time. It was a good learning environment for me since I didn't have racing experience before, just track events. The smaller run group helps when you are learning new tracks and the beginnings of racecraft. I had an excellent team at Autometrics, and an excellent coach in Cory Friedman. I also had great teammates with Charlie Craig and Noel Brown who also ran with Autometrics in GT4 Clubsports, but the other drivers in the GT3 Cup Cars, like Seth Davidow, and Shannon Herford, were great teammates, just in faster cars, so I observed everyone's driving lines, as they passed me. When i ran my rookie race at Barber in the Red Group I had JRZ 3-ways which put me in the GT3 class, so with so many GT3 Cup Cars, I felt overwhelmed to a degree, and only had a few laps of good driving time before I felt I was surrounded by a bunch of hornets zooming by. Great experience for running with faster cars, and developing situational awareness, but I was looking for a lower count run group, which I found in Trophy East. Now I had other spec class Clubsports to compete with and picked up a lot of learning having more experienced GT4 drivers on my team.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick update. We have pretty well locked down the schedule, and we have opened the series to 997.1 and newer GT3 Cup cars, as well as all GT4 Clubsport. If we are going to make this work, we need about 8-10 more deposits by Dec 15. Feel free to PM me with questions.

West

Road Atlanta – April 12-14

Lime Rock – April 26-28

Mid Ohio – May 17-19

VIR – June 21-23

Road America – August 31 – September 2

Daytona – October 25-27 (Enduro under lights)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:34 PM
will968
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Interesting to see Lime Rock and not MMC on the schedule.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:09 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by will968
Interesting to see Lime Rock and not MMC on the schedule.
MMC isn't on the PCA schedule at all yet.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:17 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Nice to see Lime Rock and Mid Ohio added to the list.
I havent been to those tracks yet!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:38 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbriscoe
Firehawk, I ran the Trophy East Series as a rookie last season and have the same experience as tcsracing, who was one of my teammates. In fact, looking back at his '16 series standings, we had close to the same points total at the end of both our rookie seasons, and since then, he has improved as I hope to improve with more track and racing time. It was a good learning environment for me since I didn't have racing experience before, just track events. The smaller run group helps when you are learning new tracks and the beginnings of racecraft. I had an excellent team at Autometrics, and an excellent coach in Cory Friedman. I also had great teammates with Charlie Craig and Noel Brown who also ran with Autometrics in GT4 Clubsports, but the other drivers in the GT3 Cup Cars, like Seth Davidow, and Shannon Herford, were great teammates, just in faster cars, so I observed everyone's driving lines, as they passed me. When i ran my rookie race at Barber in the Red Group I had JRZ 3-ways which put me in the GT3 class, so with so many GT3 Cup Cars, I felt overwhelmed to a degree, and only had a few laps of good driving time before I felt I was surrounded by a bunch of hornets zooming by. Great experience for running with faster cars, and developing situational awareness, but I was looking for a lower count run group, which I found in Trophy East. Now I had other spec class Clubsports to compete with and picked up a lot of learning having more experienced GT4 drivers on my team.
I think the series has allowed me to fast forward my driving with cleaner track time. Open Practice sessions, qualifying etc. I have alot of quality seat time thanks to the series.
My first year in 2016 was my rookie year and it was educational driving along side of really experienced drivers. I would run mid pack at best most times. I am still not accustomed to now running at the front of the pack two seasons later!
When I see rookie drivers on the track in the series it makes me smile as It feels like it was just yesterday when I was in the same boat. I enjoy watching the new drivers progress in the series as reminds exactly of what I went through and how good it feels to actually progress! To see the result of your seat time actually come thorugh in your lap time is really satisfying. You know something is working!
I never thought I would come this far!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCA TROPHY EAST 2019 series announcement