Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COTA being resurfaced over winter months?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:20 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes. However there is nothing that can be done about the substrate. They built on truly wretched soil east of the Balcones Fault. Digging down 10'-15' apparently wasn't enough
Truly wretched soil indeed. The construction process removed an impressive amount of dirt/rocks and replaced it with a much more impressive series of substrate layers. I think you're correct that it was dug out over 10 feet deep. When I saw the extent they went through to build the track I thought maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't end up like the roads in most of Texas, whoop-de-dos and roller-coaster rides. The 80 mph turnpike that runs North/South on the West side of COTA isn't that old and it has it's share of rolling hills already showing up in what was a table top smooth road when new.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:28 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Compare the track to the north/south road alongside of COTA and you'll appreciate how good the substrate actually is doing -- shame its not good enough.

A bump here or there doesn't bother me.
I became quite skilled at becoming comfortable being uncomfortable by driving Harris Hill Road. I haven't been back in a few years -- but that was like doing
a Giant Slalom run in a mogel field.

Mike
Old 11-13-2018, 08:42 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Compare the track to the north/south road alongside of COTA and you'll appreciate how good the substrate actually is doing -- shame its not good enough.
True, relative to the entrance road to the track coming in from the North, the track itself is flat as a billiard table. A bump here or there doesn't bother me either, I'm only curious if they are planning to do more grinding or actually lay down some actual new racing surface.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:05 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Mike
Even the COTA access road from the gate to the back track underpass is terrible. If you are not careful you can bottom out your truck at significantly less than 40 MPH. The roads around COTA are significantly worse than those around MSRH or TWS or Houston/Dallas for that matter.

-Mike

Old 11-13-2018, 09:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
True, relative to the entrance road to the track coming in from the North, the track itself is flat as a billiard table. A bump here or there doesn't bother me either, I'm only curious if they are planning to do more grinding or actually lay down some actual new racing surface.
Not sure about Matt's engineer friend, but the amount of money and time spent, not to mention the construction engineering and surface preparation for the track was nothing short of amazing. This is not just a "Tilke designed track," Tilke established an office in Austin and operated as the GC, IIRC. Not too many people in the world more experienced that his firm on projects of this scope.

The owner of the site prep and excavation team (that dug down further than any other track in the US, AFAIK) is a respected racer and a client of mine. The DWG of the grading is simply amazing. The work they did was to a very high standard. Not defending him, just stating fact. Construction took nearly two years...

As pointed out everywhere else, the track has unique geological and water drainage challenges that have undermined the surface in a way unforeseen by the builders.

In the early days (2012-2014), it wasn't clear there was going to be a problem. However, when the problems began, the surface deteriorated substantially in a very short period of time. The grinding was to level the track from the swells, but it just keeps going...

I hope they can fix it. It's a fabulous circuit to drive!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I hope the track and/or event organizers give drivers fair warning about track conditions and work performed. I was one the car/drivers at April Chin event just after grinding earlier this year. It was not just dust, but also included lots of 1mm-2mm concrete pebbles that destroyed front end of many cars. I would like to avoid that type of damage a second time.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:12 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raider89
I hope the track and/or event organizers give drivers fair warning about track conditions and work performed. I was one the car/drivers at April Chin event just after grinding earlier this year. It was not just dust, but also included lots of 1mm-2mm concrete pebbles that destroyed front end of many cars. I would like to avoid that type of damage a second time.
I believe your best bet to find out the current and specific track conditions is right here on this forum with the help of some of the people who visit the track regularly, some who work as private coaches on the track, live in or near Austin, and know people who know.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

This bump (the smudge) just before T10 was new to me on 11/30 since my last visit 10/6-7. Upset the car a bit just before turn in.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:14 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Bumps are character right? I think they should let mother earth have her way, just like Sebring.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

I was there this past Friday coaching and laying down reference laps.
It has gotten bumpier even in the span of s month
The bumps now between 9 and the exit of 10 are quite daunting
I still do not know with absolute certainty the track's plans in this regard...
Old 12-04-2018, 04:15 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

I was there this past Friday coaching and laying down reference laps.
It has gotten bumpier even in the span of s month
The bumps now between 9 and the exit of 10 are quite daunting
I still do not know with absolute certainty the track's plans in this regard...
I sat in the turn 9 bleachers at the F1 race in October. I could see the cars move and hear the engine note change as they went over the bump after exit of 9. Not telling most people here anything they don't already know, but the F1 racing line at the exit of 9 has track out just where the outside two wheels barely miss hitting the dirt you can see in the right of the photo in the previous post. Vettel went both wheels off in the dirt more than once when he was really pushing hard. Hamilton did it once when he was pushing to catch Raikkonen after Hamilton pitted, before Hamilton gave up and settled in to the pace he could hold to the end. Didn't see Raikkonen go off there. I think he was pretty happy with his car's grip that day. The Force India cars and Torro Rosso went off into the dirt there more than once too.

Turn 9 bleachers give a good view from exit of 6 through entrance to 11, and you can see most of the car as it goes down the straight to 12. Nothing to see after 12 braking zone though except for the big screen TV in front of 9 bleachers.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:12 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The track is the worst its ever been right now. Big bumps into 2, 6, 10, 19 and on the left side of the back straight. There are also some trackout spots that are really rough.

I was told they are starting the resurface next week.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:33 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
The track is the worst its ever been right now. Big bumps into 2, 6, 10, 19 and on the left side of the back straight. There are also some trackout spots that are really rough.

I was told they are starting the resurface next week.
Just saw on Chin's website they have canceled their tentative January COTA date due to track resurfacing.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Word is it's a partial resurface. I do not know which sectors are included and excluded
Old 12-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Word is it's a partial resurface. I do not know which sectors are included and excluded
I guess you dont need to fix say the right side of the back straight, or any of the front straight...

I vote they leave it and I will forever have a lap record.

Quick Reply: COTA being resurfaced over winter months?