Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COTA being resurfaced over winter months?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 02:40 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
As for repaving we applied a new layer with a different aggregate. It is unknown yet how the aggregate will compare in terms of grip versus the original surface, both in dry and wet conditions. Direct from cota VP
Hope this new aggregate stays together under the forces generated by high downforce aero and sticky tires on the IndyCars in March.

Wondering now how long until iRacing updates their COTA track with these new surfaces....if ever.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,402 Likes on 748 Posts

I'll be on the new surface soon and will post my impressions
Old 02-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Wondering now how long until iRacing updates their COTA track with these new surfaces....if ever.
"soon"

LOL
Old 02-01-2019, 05:45 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by okie981
Hope this new aggregate stays together under the forces generated by high downforce aero and sticky tires on the IndyCars in March.
I'll be there for the first time late this month... glad it's before the Indy guys get there!
Old 02-02-2019, 05:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Posted originally by Will Faules, NASA Texas, from COTA VP Eric Paradis.
"For 2019, per requirements of Dorna, we have shaved off bumps at :
- T1
- T2
- T4
- T9
- T12
- T18
- T19
As for repaving we applied a new layer with a different aggregate. It is unknown yet how the aggregate will compare in terms of grip versus the original surface, both in dry and wet conditions."

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

"They ground between 1 and 2 but there is still a large bump going in to turn 2. Not good. Turn 10 is amazing. No bumps at all, they completely resurfaced from about 75 feet before turn 10 to about the half way point between 10-11. You can actually go over the apex curbing without upsetting the car. They ground the bump before turn 10. It’s a lot better but if you have a faster and stiff car, you are still going to feel it. Once Indy and formula one are finished, they will probably have to ground it again. I don’t get why they didn’t repave it. Nothing done going on to turn 11. Still a little bumpy but it does not bother me. Turn 18 bump is a little better but still there. Lots of grinding between 18-19. Seems very smooth. I’m disappointed that they did not repave the bumps at turn 2, between 9-10 and 18. For me it’s like riding a bucking bronco. I guess for street cars, it’s not so bad but for me It kills my forearms trying to hold the steering wheel in the radical.

They did some grinding in the Esses but I don’t recall where. I’ll be posting my videos later today so that should show everything. I never really had any issues in the esses but it seemed pretty smooth yesterday. It was an awesome day."

From a V8 radical driver who was there on Sunday.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

"They ground between 1 and 2 but there is still a large bump going in to turn 2. Not good. Turn 10 is amazing. No bumps at all, they completely resurfaced from about 75 feet before turn 10 to about the half way point between 10-11. You can actually go over the apex curbing without upsetting the car. They ground the bump before turn 10. It’s a lot better but if you have a faster and stiff car, you are still going to feel it. Once Indy and formula one are finished, they will probably have to ground it again. I don’t get why they didn’t repave it. Nothing done going on to turn 11. Still a little bumpy but it does not bother me. Turn 18 bump is a little better but still there. Lots of grinding between 18-19. Seems very smooth. I’m disappointed that they did not repave the bumps at turn 2, between 9-10 and 18. For me it’s like riding a bucking bronco. I guess for street cars, it’s not so bad but for me It kills my forearms trying to hold the steering wheel in the radical.

They did some grinding in the Esses but I don’t recall where. I’ll be posting my videos later today so that should show everything. I never really had any issues in the esses but it seemed pretty smooth yesterday. It was an awesome day."

From a V8 radical driver who was there on Sunday.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'll be on the new surface in 2 weeks and will post my firsthand impressions
Old 02-08-2019, 12:55 PM
phm14
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, guys. Last I was there was at least 10 months ago, and the worst I felt was passing slower traffic on the inside of the 11-12 straight, near the crest. From a tuck, at triple digits on a '16 Yamaha R1, I didn't see the bumps coming, but got a surprisingly hard spanking under hard acceleration. I did not hit them a second time. I'm headed there 4/6-7 with Chin, in a new to me '18 911C2...sounds like the dampers may get a little workout. I'd wanted to drive drive the track since they announced construction, but never heard much on the construction details. I found the construction background info very interesting-much appreciated. BTW, I'm looking for a garage space for both days-current status from Chin is "sold out".
Old 02-08-2019, 05:53 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Apparently, COTA is rationing garages. I'm signed up for MVP event late this month and garages are sold out. Mark is waiting to hear if COTA will open up more. Maybe I don't understand what's involved, but if you've got customers willing to pay for using an existing asset, why would you even hesitate?
Old 02-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
Apparently, COTA is rationing garages. I'm signed up for MVP event late this month and garages are sold out. Mark is waiting to hear if COTA will open up more. Maybe I don't understand what's involved, but if you've got customers willing to pay for using an existing asset, why would you even hesitate?
It's always like that. They always have something going on in the garages that they dont rent, they aren't just being greedy, there will be an OEM setting up or tearing down an event, a bunch have the audi and F-Americas cars in them, some might be getting painted, etc.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

May be due to AMG
Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
May be due to AMG
I’m going to be there for the three day AMG Academy Pro+ course beginning 30 April. Can’t wait.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:47 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's always like that. They always have something going on in the garages that they dont rent, they aren't just being greedy, there will be an OEM setting up or tearing down an event, a bunch have the audi and F-Americas cars in them, some might be getting painted, etc.
Yes, I went into a few that were not rented, and they quite literally were full of wheels, tires, Ferraris, tools, all kinds of stuff.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:28 AM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the explanation. Look forward to seeing what they've got!

Quick Reply: COTA being resurfaced over winter months?