Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Brazilian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 07:11 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Likewise in 2005 & 2006 when the FIA mandated only 1 set of tires for the entire race distance (2005) and then reversed course but the Bridgestone tires still weren't on par with the Michelin's (2006), Michael Schumacher did not throw Bridgestone under the bus or complain about the tires. Everyone knew what the problem was, no need for a driver to point out the obvious, but then again, Schumacher never threw his team under the bus (Benetton or Ferrari) no matter how bad things got so it might be a personality issue.

It might not seem like a very big deal to an American, but to the Japanese having your work, in this case, the engine, called a F2 engine as Alonso did to Honda is very disrepectful to the entire company.
Well, after Honda had a year to evaluate what the other teams did that worked and what didn't, as they did not start with the others, and the engine being a dog all 3 years, I can understand McLaren and Alonso's frustration. The first years difficulty was understandable, the second with only marginal improvement was concerning; then the third year with a decline... Nope! I don't think either party, McLaren or Honda thought it would take 5 yrs (IF next year motor is good) to produce something decent.

I seem to recall very recently, Redbull talking very harshly about the Renault engines. Ruining that relationship and with no alternative engines supplier having to badge the Renault engines as Infinite, so they could continue to race.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:46 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,894 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Well, after Honda had a year to evaluate what the other teams did that worked and what didn't, as they did not start with the others, and the engine being a dog all 3 years, I can understand McLaren and Alonso's frustration. The first years difficulty was understandable, the second with only marginal improvement was concerning; then the third year with a decline... Nope! I don't think either party, McLaren or Honda thought it would take 5 yrs (IF next year motor is good) to produce something decent.

I seem to recall very recently, Redbull talking very harshly about the Renault engines. Ruining that relationship and with no alternative engines supplier having to badge the Renault engines as Infinite, so they could continue to race.
There's several things at play here. Starting out late is one thing, but these are very complicated power units and not just engines so everything has to work in harmony. Renault started out with everyone else and Ricciardo has had MORE DNF's THIS YEAR as Hamilton has had in the last 5 years combined!!

It was reported last year that the McLaren chassis created a lot of vibrations to the Honda PU causing issues. One year removed and the lowly Toro Rosso's are punching above their weight with the Honda PU and McLaren is having trouble not being last or second to last every race/qualifying session with a Renault PU while Red Bull is winning races... Just a stat that was played yesterday, it's been 6 years since McLaren have won a race -- that dates back to when they had the Mercedes engine so it' definitely a chassis issue above all else.

I agree with you on the testy relationship that RBR has had with Renault, even dating back to their winning years. IRC, Red Bull doesn't even run the same oil in their engines recommended by Renault for some reason. I've never understood the public bashing of race partners in F1. If there's an issue, it's no secret what the issue is and who is to blame.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:54 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
There's several things at play here. Starting out late is one thing, but these are very complicated power units and not just engines so everything has to work in harmony. Renault started out with everyone else and Ricciardo has had MORE DNF's THIS YEAR as Hamilton has had in the last 5 years combined!!

It was reported last year that the McLaren chassis created a lot of vibrations to the Honda PU causing issues. One year removed and the lowly Toro Rosso's are punching above their weight with the Honda PU and McLaren is having trouble not being last or second to last every race/qualifying session with a Renault PU while Red Bull is winning races... Just a stat that was played yesterday, it's been 6 years since McLaren have won a race -- that dates back to when they had the Mercedes engine so it' definitely a chassis issue above all else.

I agree with you on the testy relationship that RBR has had with Renault, even dating back to their winning years. IRC, Red Bull doesn't even run the same oil in their engines recommended by Renault for some reason. I've never understood the public bashing of race partners in F1. If there's an issue, it's no secret what the issue is and who is to blame.
Was reading an article the other day re. RB and engine oil but it was their oil/fuel supplier Exxon/Mobil that stated that their belief is that FIA should not be condoning burning oil in the quantities of .6L/100k, so I'd guess that due to limits on fuel flow rate, Renault would want RB to follow suit with their recommendations (and the rest of F1) where an extra amount of oil either a) stretches fuel by displacing with oil in engine boost instances, and/or b) they are upping compression at selected boost instances by injecting oil.

Maybe the oil recommended by Renault has properties that allow it to burn close to flame rate as fuel than conventional oil and Exxon/Mobil's philosophy is that fuel is fuel and oil should only be reservoir'ed for replenishing crankcase.

Even if neither, Exxon Mobil seems to disagree with Renault's recommended oil supplier.

Here's the article - https://au.eurosport.com/formula-1/r...47/story.shtml

T

Quick Reply: Brazilian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?