Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need guidance. Want to start racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Good job Cadaver. Enjoy the racing in good health. Be safe and have fun.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:45 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome to the crack house.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:24 PM
HamiltonSeth
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. Thank you to all who participated.

I am also considering getting started in some wheel-to-wheel racing after doing track days for about 10 years. I have too many "track" toys (a few 911s, SR3, e30, etc) but am now looking to get focused. I am located in Orange County, CA and due to work and family obligations can't really be involved in anything that takes me 5+ hours away more than once or twice a year, so I need to stick with local tracks. With that said, can anyone give feedback on the most recent turn outs in spec boxster and Spec Miata, or any other well-attended local series that runs at willow springs, button willow, chuckwalla, auto club? I have also looked at getting into a TT/TA/GT class with NASA as I have seen some of the logbooks showing a fair turnout. Leaving the pretty cars at home and flogging a boxster sounds like a great time if the class isn't on the decline locally.

Thanks for your help,
Seth
Old 02-25-2020, 07:36 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Wanted to update this thread with my progress. I decided to keep it simple and run NASA events close to home to get started and keep expenses cheap. Unfortunately the first race was canceled due to flooding essentially. The second race was during my call weekend. I was able to get in a few HDPEs to get familiar with the car. Last weekend, I had my first race in the Boxster in NASA ST4. Wow! I suck! What a humbling experience to say the least. I got waxed by ST4, ST5, ST6, and even some of the maniacs in Spec Miata. On the bright side, I did continue to improve and the 3rd race I stayed nose to nose with my ST4 class for 5 laps and got so excited that I lost focus, entered a turn too fast, and ran out of track on the exit. Two wheels off, a light spin, and my chances of showing the F1 teams a 40+yo, slightly overweight, American could be competitive in F1 quickly evaporated in the fumes from the rich running exhaust of a recently stalled boxster. I will also say it was mentally and physically exhausting. Exponentially more so than a DE session. But, I honestly don't remember having this much fun. Even getting passed by nearly all but a handful of cars or less, it was still exhilarating! I was able to find a bottom dweller from AI, that like myself that had been abandoned by his own kind, and chased each other around. Also learned how to get passed by faster drivers without crapping myself and running off track, or **** off drivers racing each other in a different class. So, to date, I feel my decision to go with an already built, "slower", momentum car was perfect for someone like me sick of chasing lap times in a stupid fast street car and wanting some actual wheel to wheel interaction was spot on. If anyone reading this thread is asking a similar question as I did in the original post, go for it! I'm glad I did. I'm in for less than $40k with a car, spares, and open trailer. The car has mid to upper pack written all over it. Just need the driver to get more seat time and experience. Which was the original goal.... get better, quickly, safely, and affordably. My biggest fans have been my competition. They were excited to see a newbie. They were eager to help and give advice hoping to see me in the pack with them soon to make the race more fun and enjoyable. Ive almost lost all urge to track my 991.2 GT3 now.
Great story! Now sell the GT3, find a well respected shop to transport and support, and go the "Arrive and Drive" route. Will open up a ton of new tracks and anywhere you can fly close to is a "local" track!
Old 02-25-2020, 08:40 AM
mjw353
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HamiltonSeth

I am also considering getting started in some wheel-to-wheel racing after doing track days for about 10 years. I have too many "track" toys (a few 911s, SR3, e30, etc) but am now looking to get focused. I am located in Orange County, CA and due to work and family obligations can't really be involved in anything that takes me 5+ hours away more than once or twice a year, so I need to stick with local tracks. With that said, can anyone give feedback on the most recent turn outs in spec boxster and Spec Miata, or any other well-attended local series that runs at willow springs, button willow, chuckwalla, auto club? I have also looked at getting into a TT/TA/GT class with NASA as I have seen some of the logbooks showing a fair turnout. Leaving the pretty cars at home and flogging a boxster sounds like a great time if the class isn't on the decline locally.

Thanks for your help,
Seth
Seth,
Check out the POC. https://www.porscheclub.com/
They run at all of the tracks you've listed. Club events are usually one weekend per month.
The Spec Boxster class seems to be the largest of their W2W groups.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 AM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HamiltonSeth

Thanks for your help,
Seth
Originally Posted by Gary R.
Great story! Now sell the GT3, find a well respected shop to transport and support, and go the "Arrive and Drive" route. Will open up a ton of new tracks and anywhere you can fly close to is a "local" track!
Seth may want to ignore this thread tangent..... I’m in the process of that now. While I do enjoy doing basic repairs and maintenance, I can’t do it all. Not to mention it takes a full day to load all the crap, another day to unload it and clean truck/trailer, and if traveling to different tracks a couple days of travel for that as well. This is where “arrive and drive” becomes “practical” for me. If I don’t work I don’t get paid, so getting to work another day or two easily justifies the track support. And, I’ve already cut weekends short because I didn’t have the tools, or parts, or knowledge to fix a problem that many support teams could’ve solved in an hour. I’ve come to the conclusion that convenience and maximizing time with the car on track is key to enjoying and lasting through rough times in the hobby.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 44 Posts

One other thing I would suggest to someone t
looking to buy a race car. Always sit in the car with your helmet. Boxsters and miatas are quite small and a tall driver or even a tall torso driver may not fit within the roll cage safely.

Quick Reply: Need guidance. Want to start racing