Sponsored by:

Need guidance. Want to start racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:55 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I've been racing for 5 years now with PCA and love it. First in I class, SPC and GTB1 with a Gen1 Cayman and just bought a Gen2 Cayman to race in 2019 in GTB1. Here is what I have learned -

Time and budget are the two biggest factors with racing. It makes DE look like it is free.

Are you going to work on your own car or hire support? Hiring support will add a couple thousand to your weekend but if you have a problem with your car many times it can be fixed and your weekend is saved. You can also enjoy your weekend more as you are not doing all the maintenance. For me it is worth the extra cost.

Tire, tires, tires - even in the cheaper spec classes you can spend a couple thousand in tires in one weekend. There are some who go cheap, and drive with many heat cycles, but you put yourself at a disadvantage to someone with newer tires. I strike a middle ground and try to buy one set of tires per race weekend. In the past I might have bought three and that got expensive.

Your car is going to see much more abuse than DE so your cost of maintenance will go up.

There is also greater risk in a race than DE because you are racing and there is much closer proximity of cars. Many more chances for things to happen. Can you write off your car or will you pay for insurance?

Whatever the group you are looking to race with I recommend attending a weekend as a spectator. Walk the paddock. I've spoken with tons of people about my racing experience and even written a bunch of articles for our region's newsletter about my experiences. You might find what class or group fits you best.

Lastly, a big part of why I race with PCA is because I have made a lot of friends and the longer you race the more you know the people around you. I also like the focus on safety.

That being said, many have had great experiences with AER because it is so cheap and there is tons of seat time. Since the car is shared you may have to prove yourself to a team to let you join as a complete noob. You could also rent a miata or some other car to go racing as well and gain some experience.

Bottom line - do your research as I made some mistakes along with the way and spent money I didn't need to. Talk to people - everyone in the paddock loves to talk about their car, class and racing in general.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2018, 12:41 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Maybe I should just grab a built spec Miata or Boxster and hit it. If I don’t like it or love it and want to step up the following season I can do so without throwing away a massive chunk of coin
I've also got a 987.2 Spyder, and yes I like driving it more than the Miata, but you hit the nail on the head. The miata is inexpensive, probably fully depreciated already, fun to drive and if you want to flip it you won't take much of a hit. Very low cost way/low risk way to see if you like it. I have not gone wheel-to-wheel yet, the next series starts next year. Trying to get some seat time so I don't embarrass myself...
Old 11-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by morsini
If you think a Miata or 944 is slow, wait until you crash one at speed. Only then will you realize how fast you were traveling. Things happen much faster in high HP cars. Work your way up. Learn to drive and become a student of the sport. And please get some open track experience before you go wheel to wheel. Go with an organization that doesn't require a point by so you get used to passing and being passed - off line, in a braking zone, etc. Or, you know, do it your way.
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I've been racing for 5 years now with PCA and love it. First in I class, SPC and GTB1 with a Gen1 Cayman and just bought a Gen2 Cayman to race in 2019 in GTB1. Here is what I have learned -

Time and budget are the two biggest factors with racing. It makes DE look like it is free.

Are you going to work on your own car or hire support? Hiring support will add a couple thousand to your weekend but if you have a problem with your car many times it can be fixed and your weekend is saved. You can also enjoy your weekend more as you are not doing all the maintenance. For me it is worth the extra cost.

Tire, tires, tires - even in the cheaper spec classes you can spend a couple thousand in tires in one weekend. There are some who go cheap, and drive with many heat cycles, but you put yourself at a disadvantage to someone with newer tires. I strike a middle ground and try to buy one set of tires per race weekend. In the past I might have bought three and that got expensive.

Your car is going to see much more abuse than DE so your cost of maintenance will go up.

There is also greater risk in a race than DE because you are racing and there is much closer proximity of cars. Many more chances for things to happen. Can you write off your car or will you pay for insurance?

Whatever the group you are looking to race with I recommend attending a weekend as a spectator. Walk the paddock. I've spoken with tons of people about my racing experience and even written a bunch of articles for our region's newsletter about my experiences. You might find what class or group fits you best.

Lastly, a big part of why I race with PCA is because I have made a lot of friends and the longer you race the more you know the people around you. I also like the focus on safety.

That being said, many have had great experiences with AER because it is so cheap and there is tons of seat time. Since the car is shared you may have to prove yourself to a team to let you join as a complete noob. You could also rent a miata or some other car to go racing as well and gain some experience.

Bottom line - do your research as I made some mistakes along with the way and spent money I didn't need to. Talk to people - everyone in the paddock loves to talk about their car, class and racing in general.

Good luck!
Some incredibly informative responses. I truly am appreciative. I have always been skeptical about posting on rennlist as it can turn into a sh$t show quick and go off topic in a hurry. This has really helped me put things into perspective. Especially the last several posts about putting the speed ego aside and enjoy a Miata, Boxster, or 944. The “wait till you wreck a 944 at speed” comment really resonated. As did Luigi info. I actually looked long and hard at that martini cayman you had for sale not too long ago. I have the funds to support some fun and that’s how I’m looking at this. Fun and desposable equipment. But, I have the sense to not totally lose my *** either and buy a GT3 cup car and hire a 10 man crew then learn in a weekend or two what you all have learned over decades. I think I’ll try to find a Boxster or Miata and just have fun. If it seems a good starting point to not only learn how to race but learn what one is getting into. Thanks again everyone for your posts. Maybe trade paint together soon.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:13 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Some incredibly informative responses. I truly am appreciative. I have always been skeptical about posting on rennlist as it can turn into a sh$t show quick and go off topic in a hurry. This has really helped me put things into perspective. Especially the last several posts about putting the speed ego aside and enjoy a Miata, Boxster, or 944. The “wait till you wreck a 944 at speed” comment really resonated. As did Luigi info. I actually looked long and hard at that martini cayman you had for sale not too long ago. I have the funds to support some fun and that’s how I’m looking at this. Fun and desposable equipment. But, I have the sense to not totally lose my *** either and buy a GT3 cup car and hire a 10 man crew then learn in a weekend or two what you all have learned over decades. I think I’ll try to find a Boxster or Miata and just have fun. If it seems a good starting point to not only learn how to race but learn what one is getting into. Thanks again everyone for your posts. Maybe trade paint together soon.
There are great people here and a wealth of experience - thank you for listening and having the right attitude!
Old 11-01-2018, 05:40 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Whose signature has the quote: "Which part of Porsche racing did you think would be cheap? Porsche or racing?"

My SPB has about 1/2 the HP of my GT3, but it's equally fun to drive and close in lap times. If I were you, I'd start with a SPB, SP996 or 997. IMO, they are plenty fast. I think you could check your lap times against the SP996 and see how close they are. I suspect they aren't too far apart. SP997 might be faster. And, the SP996 / SP997 have a driving dynamic a little closer to your car (rear engine). The SPB has a different cadence to it.

As long as you don't crash, you should be able to sell a good car for close to what you bought it for - so go get a race car and jump in head first! There are classes in SCCA and NASA for the spec PCA cars.

-td
Old 11-01-2018, 06:56 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

First thing I would advise is to see what classes are most popular at the tracks you are most likely to race. Grid sizes vary considerably across the country for many classes. Racing is a lot more fun in my opinion when there is a sizable grid. When there is, you always have someone to race, regardless of your pace. SM, SP944, SPB are all great classes, but their popularity varies regionally. Same with the NASA GTS classes. I prefer spec classes where it’s about driver much more than car. And I find close racing much more exciting than high speed driving with few cars around.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
First thing I would advise is to see what classes are most popular at the tracks you are most likely to race. Grid sizes vary considerably across the country for many classes. Racing is a lot more fun in my opinion when there is a sizable grid. When there is, you always have someone to race, regardless of your pace. SM, SP944, SPB are all great classes, but their popularity varies regionally. Same with the NASA GTS classes. I prefer spec classes where it’s about driver much more than car. And I find close racing much more exciting than high speed driving with few cars around.
+1, I haven't raced for decades but when I did I ran SCCA EP with a MGB. There was always somebody to race with and trying to win 7th place was just as much fun as trying to win 1st place.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Cadaver, would recommend the best local resource for your original question, if you want to race, you’ll need professional support in some capacity, even it it’s just advice. Karl Wilen at KC Rennsports runs everything between WRL to top level PWC and Conti level competition. Talk to him, tell him I sent you. He’s a gem. And people really have a good time racing with him, which is not always the case with local resources.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Cadaver, would recommend the best local resource for your original question, if you want to race, you’ll need professional support in some capacity, even it it’s just advice. Karl Wilen at KC Rennsports runs everything between WRL to top level PWC and Conti level competition. Talk to him, tell him I sent you. He’s a gem. And people really have a good time racing with him, which is not always the case with local resources.
oh I know Karl. He has been taking care of my street cars. He is who I am hoping will service and support whatever I get. Solid guy. I’ve been on the track with him and his LS powered 944. Wow! That’s some serious driving. I mentioned the spec cayman class to him today and he said the engines are crap and don’t hold up. He has been busy lately so haven’t had much time to pick his brain. Suppose to catch up with him this weekend. Right now I’m leaning towards SPB or SP996. May need your help soon ProCoach. Heard a lot of good things about you as well!

Old 11-01-2018, 08:51 PM
mobius911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

This is an interesting analysis on operating costs for different classes, although I'm not sure who put it together. The data are all there so folks who run some of these classes can comment on accuracy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1940004030

Low-horsepower one-design classes like SPB or SM are going to allow you to improve fastest. Large grids mean you're always racing someone, and if all the cars are putatively the same you immediately see where you're losing time. And big classes are just more fun!

ETA: Just looked at the spreadsheet in a bit more detail. I wish the Prototipo Super Leggero were a real car; those specs are amazing. When it looks too good to be true...

Last edited by mobius911; 11-01-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:29 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Just looked at that spreadsheet.
Numbers are a little off for SP911.
Jerry Woods builds those cars. They are $200k+.
Ive seen them used for over 100k.
And they use 100 octane, not 93.
And engine rebuild no way 11k, will be 15k or more. Trans rebuild 2k, no way either.

The way cheaper version of that car is PCA stock E class, just a little less hp, but much bigger field of cars. The rebuilds being a bit less on the engine. But cost to purchase waaaaay lower than SP911. These used start at 40k. Pretty ones (but not faster) are more $. I just had a second one built, all in was about 60k with fresh engine and trans, including the car.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Pca - SPB
NASA or SCCA - spec Miata

Question answered
Old 11-01-2018, 10:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,286 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by mobius911
This is an interesting analysis on operating costs for different classes, although I'm not sure who put it together. The data are all there so folks who run some of these classes can comment on accuracy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1940004030

Low-horsepower one-design classes like SPB or SM are going to allow you to improve fastest. Large grids mean you're always racing someone, and if all the cars are putatively the same you immediately see where you're losing time. And big classes are just more fun!

ETA: Just looked at the spreadsheet in a bit more detail. I wish the Prototipo Super Leggero were a real car; those specs are amazing. When it looks too good to be true...
What evil bastard made this spreadsheet up and violated the most important rule - NEVER EVER ADD IT ALL UP!!
Old 11-01-2018, 11:31 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I prefer spec classes where it’s about driver much more than car. And I find close racing much more exciting than high speed driving with few cars around.
Amen brother.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:50 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

I see some incorrect information in this thread about the Spec 911 rules. JWE has built many Spec 911s. Outstanding cars.

But others have built them as well, and their builds are nowhere near $200k.

In recent years, the front runners in that class in Spec 911 were not JWE customers. Great drivers in great cars to be sure, but not $200k builds.

And here is the 2018 Spec 911 rule for fuel:

" All engines must run a standard pump gas of 92 octane or less. No race fuels, additives or mixing are allowed."

Spec 911 was created by the Porsche Racing Club, a group I helped form in 2001. I was the rules person for PRC for 10+ years.

I am a believer in getting perspective on many things via the 'net. But in my experience, it may be best to speak to real people, not spreadsheets.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 11-02-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Need guidance. Want to start racing