Big Crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thanks for the link. They're right about some things, but referring to a concrete barrier as a "cement retaining wall" makes me wonder about what kind of engineering expertise they're drawing on. Their "competitive analysis" is clearly biased in favor of their product, and it's not clear to me that their product has been properly tested for cars.
That's why I said that it was from a manufacturer's site, obvious bias at the end, but still interesting.

Here's additional insight. Still a commercial site but more wide ranging info. http://www.impactsafetybarriers.com/...Comparison.pdf

My thought is that the the segmented concrete barrier is actually an impact attenuator, by virtue of its movement in the OP's case.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-30-2018, 08:40 PM
endoquest
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the pits fairly close to the crash. Didn't see anything happen but heard the hit, it sounded quite serious. After the car came back I talked to the owner as he was winching it up a trailer. The cage looked really good. The fiberglass door was completely gone but the x-frame inside, right where the impact was, appeared straight. The welds were good too. I asked the owner who built the cage. Racetech Motorsports was his answer. I've heard of them before and they're local to Portland. Good job guys!
Old 10-30-2018, 09:00 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
Here is a report for someone who saw crash:

”I witnessed the accident.
It appeared to me something failed on the driver's side rear suspension. That corner of the car "fell down" and pinched the tire on that side to where it was not rotating. I believe the driver hit the brakes immediately. 3 corners of the car tried to slow. The damaged corner did not. The braking pitched the car into a slow spin. The damaged corner of the car slid out and around. The car rotated towards the passenger side. I am not sure if the driver made an attempt to counter-steer against the slide. The car made a 1/2 turn spin, from driver's left to driver's right, where the driver's side of the car impacted the wall with incredible force previous to the turn 1 station, approximately across track from the 500 brake marker.

There was a single tire skid mark where the car had fallen on that rear wheel all the way to the impact location. ABS wouldn't have done that in my opinion. On impact, the entire assembly was ejected from the vehicle and flew a fair distance from it.“
That description makes me think it was not a rear trailing arm pocket failure. The rear suspension on these cars has an upper control arm, a simple lower control arm, and a trailing arm. The wheel folding into the fender and rotating out indicates the failure was not in the trailing arm but in the support for the spring. When the trailing arm fails there is nothing to keep the rear suspension from twisting around with the wheel, so the suspension twists off and the wheel departs - see the next quote:

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Here's the RTAB pocket failure I mentioned. Your incident sounds familiar.

https://youtu.be/J4zPECASIrs
Now that looks like a trailing arm failure. Note that the OP did not roll.

Sometimes I think I would be a faster driver if I didn't know about these mechanical weaknesses in the platform I drive...

-Mike
Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

First off, glad to hear that you’re OK, that was a major hit. Second, please replace all safety equipment (if belts can be recertified then fine). Finally, I would like to think that you would have equally walked away from this impact, had you been in your GT4. While a half cage is a glorified roll bar, it does provide some structural rigidity and given that the primary impact was to the rear side of the car, I have to believe the roll cage would have helped quite a bit, especially combined with proper HNR and race seat. Best of luck to you and hope you get back on track soon.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Replace the belts and seat on that bmw...
Old 10-30-2018, 11:17 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Wow - big hit. To the OP, glad you are ok!

Makes me wonder about these arrive and drive deals where you really don't know the history and maintenance condition of the car.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:42 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
On the former, yes. Anything you can do to control and reduce acceleration and deceleration of your head is good,

On the latter, I've seen some people here disagree, but my opinion and experience indicates that if you build or install a half cage, the car remains streetable (especially with proper seat height rearward) and protects more than stock from lateral unibody intrusion or compression. As well as vertical compression...

Joe Marko @ HMS agrees. He has also posted a few times on how rollbar in streetcar and your head issue is a red herring. A properly padded bar is not different than OEM padded A-piller or anything else you can hit. It is also true that having your head on a padded bar is not as bad as allowing your head to accelerate into a bar multiple inches away. So 1st choice is be far enough away from any bar to hit. Second choice is to be right on the bar. 3rd choice is being far enough away to be whipped into the bar upon impact.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:42 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy your OK, yes you can get a concussion without hitting anything, the simple act of sudden decelleration can be the culprit because the brain continues to move until it hits the inside of your skull. Having said that I think it is prudent to get a new helmet rather than taking any chances. As you have stated your safety equipment saved you so don't that the chance of having a potentially compromised helmet. They aren't cheap but you can't buy a new head or brain.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:51 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

That's why I said that it was from a manufacturer's site, obvious bias at the end, but still interesting.

Here's additional insight. Still a commercial site but more wide ranging info. http://www.impactsafetybarriers.com/...Comparison.pdf

My thought is that the the segmented concrete barrier is actually an impact attenuator, by virtue of its movement in the OP's case.
That document is a step in the right direction, but it's odd how they use some incorrect terminology, are missing key information, and get some things wrong. It seems that the "outside firm" they hired didn't really have expertise in this area and mainly just gathered info from internet searches.

If a barrier is intended to absorb energy by moving, you generally want to absorb energy by deformation of material, as parts of a car do when they crumple. With a 'segmented' concrete barrier (segments pinned together), the rigid segments aren't deforming and energy absorption is mainly due to sliding of the segments across the ground, which is a limited and somewhat unreliable way to absorb energy. Such concrete barriers are used in temporary roadway applications, and the intent is for them to move as little as possible. When concrete barriers are used in permanent roadway applications, they're prevented from moving by being anchored to pavement or placed on concrete footings. In my three decades of experience designing runoffs and traffic barriers as a professional engineer, I've never seen a concrete barrier intentionally designed to move. The SAFER barrier essential combines a flexible barrier in front of a rigid concrete barrier, and was properly engineered to do so.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:57 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Joe Marko @ HMS agrees. He has also posted a few times on how rollbar in streetcar and your head issue is a red herring. A properly padded bar is not different than OEM padded A-piller or anything else you can hit. It is also true that having your head on a padded bar is not as bad as allowing your head to accelerate into a bar multiple inches away. So 1st choice is be far enough away from any bar to hit. Second choice is to be right on the bar. 3rd choice is being far enough away to be whipped into the bar upon impact.
Agreed on the first choice. You don't want to be hitting hard things inside the car when flailing around in a crash - that's why cars have airbags. The second choice is neither desirable nor really even a choice - in a crash, due to the body flailing around, it's not possible for the head to stay 'right on the bar'.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The purpose of a high seat back, however, is as a CLOSE cushion with a specific compressibility. This prevents the “whipping” accelerative phenomena that results in the percussive stop. Unless the body is unteastrained and allowed to rise UP and back, it also prevents the most likely contact area with main hoop or driver’s side vertical support.

While I appreciate Manifold’s commentary and insight on these matters, and that the material I’ve cited uses non-standard terminology and a slanted commercial message, the overriding goal should be that we engage and work with the tracks to enhance safety and reduce the chance of a sudden stop...
Old 10-31-2018, 10:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

The purpose of a high seat back, however, is as a CLOSE cushion with a specific compressibility. This prevents the “whipping” accelerative phenomena that results in the percussive stop. Unless the body is unteastrained and allowed to rise UP and back, it also prevents the most likely contact area with main hoop or driver’s side vertical support.

While I appreciate Manifold’s commentary and insight on these matters, and that the material I’ve cited uses non-standard terminology and a slanted commercial message, the overriding goal should be that we engage and work with the tracks to enhance safety and reduce the chance of a sudden stop...
Fully agreed. As I've said many times in many threads, there are widespread safety deficiencies at tracks. There are several reasons:

- Unlike roadways, tracks are unregulated and there are no mandatory standards and guidelines for tracks (the ISS document is an unusual step to at least try to provide some guidance). Track owners pretty much do what they want with safety, unless track renters pressure them to do otherwise.

- Track owners typically lack expertise in this area, and often don't hire people who do have that expertise. This is partly because they don't know what they don't know. But also, if they hire a professional engineer like me and I recommend X and Y, and they don't follow my recommendations, that can increase their liability.

- The cost of making safety improvements can be substantial, and there's lack of incentive to spend that money if track renters aren't complaining, since waivers provide significant liability protection for track owners, and they have insurance if they do get sued and need to settle or go to trial.

Probably apropos to share this again: http://bobstracks.squarespace.com/im...at-tracks.html
Old 10-31-2018, 11:50 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

That looks like a serious hit, glad you walked away and the owner was cool with the fairly sizable write off since it wasn't your fault.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:25 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not an expert on these cars, but I'm seeing something different from the pics.

The inside sidewall of the tire is completely trashed. If the suspension failed, I would have thought it would have unloaded the tire and then when the driver hit the brakes, it would have locked the tire (like the observer stated). I would not have expected the sidewall of the tire to be destroyed.

Maybe the earlier repair was no good and it slowly cut down the sidewall. Then a slow leak developed and that impacted the handling. Finally the whole tired failed and that started the accident.

Just my $0.02.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:24 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Agree this looks a like a tire failure to me. Based on the handling issues described in the prior turns, my guess is the tire was losing air or low on pressure leading to the squirmy feeling. Once the sidewall overheated, the tire completely failed.

Quick Reply: Big Crash