Big Crash

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by pkh
By good seat I am guessing you mean a halo style seat? I have Recaro Pole Positions right now. Its a bucket but doesn't offer any extra protection around the head.

If I get a half cage is the car still streetable without a helmet?
On the former, yes. Anything you can do to control and reduce acceleration and deceleration of your head is good,

On the latter, I've seen some people here disagree, but my opinion and experience indicates that if you build or install a half cage, the car remains streetable (especially with proper seat height rearward) and protects more than stock from lateral unibody intrusion or compression. As well as vertical compression...

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
carbondan (10-13-2020)
Old 10-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
On the former, yes. Anything you can do to control and reduce acceleration and deceleration of your head is good,

On the latter, I've seen some people here disagree, but my opinion and experience indicates that if you build or install a half cage, the car remains streetable (especially with proper seat height rearward) and protects more than stock from lateral unibody intrusion or compression. As well as vertical compression...
Agreed on both.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:42 AM
mlct
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 39 Posts

If you go with a half cage you might want to consider a Sparco Ergo as has removable head protection so you can drive it on the street. Better visibility than a full containment seat on the street. Not sure if it is certified for racing though.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:47 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll echo everyone's comments here. Thank goodness you're ok. But you're not fully ok, so make sure you get cleared by a good doctor before hitting the track again. And yes, definitely new helmet and re-cert the Hans.

My 2 cents on the GT4. Personally I'd keep it as is and invest in a dedicated track car. Something less expensive like a spec boxster, etc., etc. The GT4 is beautiful and incredibly capable, but given the speeds I'm assuming you're hitting, I wouldn't want anything but a fully caged car. It's not likely, but certainly possible that you could ball up that GT4 at some point and for me personally, I'd rather do that in a 'throw away' race car rather than a collectible. But again, that's just my opinion.

Be safe and get back out there (when doc says it's ok)!
Old 10-30-2018, 01:46 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I had a 2001 BMW M3 (from your photos, it appears as though you were in an E46 as well). I tracked the car quite a bit, but only went as far as a big brake kit and R compound tires for mods. After a few years of ownership and daily driving, I noted that the rear end seemed to dart at times. I took it to numerous local BMW dealers and several independent shops for diagnosis. None of them claimed they could detect anything wrong. I finally took it to a BMW race shop, TC Design. The shop owner confirmed my complaint and described how the rear sub-frame on this and the prior generation 3 series BMW's were weak and sometimes failed. I authorized him to repair the car, and sure enough, he found major failures in the rear sub-frame. He had to re-weld some of it and add gussets to add additional strength.

I don't know if this is what led to your problem, but I never owned another BMW again, and after that, I switched to Porsches. I know the BMW 3 series cars are raced a lot at the club level in SCCA and NASA. I sure hope that those who do address these structural issues before racing them.

Get back on the horse and go racing again! In a Porsche!!
Yes, I recall this problem with the E46s. E36s didn't have the subframe problem nearly as often, although you do have to reinforce the shock towers and rear anti-roll bar mounts, likely because the E36s don't support the wider tires of the E46. The picture of the LR tire is pretty catastrophic, as everything is broke, but that is likely due to it being ripped off the car. The shock appears to have height adjust threads on it, so it looks like the car had a rear coil-over conversion - not cheap. In stock form, the rear has springs on perches and separate shocks.

Worn rear trailing arm bushings are an infamous cause of dartiness in these cars, but this comes on very slowly - it sounds like what happened to you developed during the session thus this is unlikely. The failure mode here is the rear trailing arm pocket rips out and the rear trailing arm rotates. If the pocket is still in the car, that didn't happen especially if the front of the trailing arm (the rear is still attached to the wheel) is still there. If it is not, it will be hard to tell with all the post primary failure damage.

With your provided data, I'm inclined to agree with 24Chromium quoted above. Cracks in the subframe are common and relatively difficult to check for. When it got greasy, these cracks were likely opening up and the rear alignment settings started moving around. These cars are very sensitive to rear alignment settings. When it let got, you likely lost the inside connection to the upper or lower control arm and that was it.

I suppose it is also possible that a fastener worked itself loose - I'd look over the rear on a lift and look for backed off bolts or the cracks. If a bolt let got, the rear subframe should still be attached.

Good to hear you are okay and the safety equipment worked. One thing about these cars is if all off a sudden they start feeling squirrely, get off the track, it is not your imagination. A bit greasy is much harder to evaluate.

-Mike
Old 10-30-2018, 02:43 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Yes, I recall this problem with the E46s. E36s didn't have the subframe problem nearly as often, although you do have to reinforce the shock towers and rear anti-roll bar mounts, likely because the E36s don't support the wider tires of the E46. The picture of the LR tire is pretty catastrophic, as everything is broke, but that is likely due to it being ripped off the car. The shock appears to have height adjust threads on it, so it looks like the car had a rear coil-over conversion - not cheap. In stock form, the rear has springs on perches and separate shocks.

Worn rear trailing arm bushings are an infamous cause of dartiness in these cars, but this comes on very slowly - it sounds like what happened to you developed during the session thus this is unlikely. The failure mode here is the rear trailing arm pocket rips out and the rear trailing arm rotates. If the pocket is still in the car, that didn't happen especially if the front of the trailing arm (the rear is still attached to the wheel) is still there. If it is not, it will be hard to tell with all the post primary failure damage.

With your provided data, I'm inclined to agree with 24Chromium quoted above. Cracks in the subframe are common and relatively difficult to check for. When it got greasy, these cracks were likely opening up and the rear alignment settings started moving around. These cars are very sensitive to rear alignment settings. When it let got, you likely lost the inside connection to the upper or lower control arm and that was it.

I suppose it is also possible that a fastener worked itself loose - I'd look over the rear on a lift and look for backed off bolts or the cracks. If a bolt let got, the rear subframe should still be attached.

Good to hear you are okay and the safety equipment worked. One thing about these cars is if all off a sudden they start feeling squirrely, get off the track, it is not your imagination. A bit greasy is much harder to evaluate.

-Mike
Mike

I have MCS like in the pic. They can be set up in true coil over or to use the normal configuration. It looks like it was not used in true coil over set up.

I agree most like cause was RTAB pocket failure. A guy at VIR had similar failure a couple of years ago and rolled over once or twice IIRC.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:06 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, big hit. I'm glad you are okay and the safety gear worked for the most part. I feel bad for you and the car owner.

Portland is a pretty safe track but there are still lots of walls without tire barriers to find. I've done all my crashing on the back straight at PIR. Hopefully you don't get a bill from the track to straighten the wall. I've had to pay for PIR armco. Not a fun bill to get with an already busted up car.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric_k
Wow, big hit. I'm glad you are okay and the safety gear worked for the most part. I feel bad for you and the car owner.

Portland is a pretty safe track but there are still lots of walls without tire barriers to find. I've done all my crashing on the back straight at PIR. Hopefully you don't get a bill from the track to straighten the wall. I've had to pay for PIR armco. Not a fun bill to get with an already busted up car.
A concrete barrier isn't supposed to move like that, they're generally designed to be "rigid." But in this case, since it appears to be have deformed smoothly without creating offsets which snagged the car, the movement of the barrier may have helped reduce the crash severity. If they tried to send me a bill for straightening the barrier, I'd be telling them "your barrier isn't supposed to move."

Old 10-30-2018, 03:56 PM
pkh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is a report for someone who saw crash:

”I witnessed the accident.
It appeared to me something failed on the driver's side rear suspension. That corner of the car "fell down" and pinched the tire on that side to where it was not rotating. I believe the driver hit the brakes immediately. 3 corners of the car tried to slow. The damaged corner did not. The braking pitched the car into a slow spin. The damaged corner of the car slid out and around. The car rotated towards the passenger side. I am not sure if the driver made an attempt to counter-steer against the slide. The car made a 1/2 turn spin, from driver's left to driver's right, where the driver's side of the car impacted the wall with incredible force previous to the turn 1 station, approximately across track from the 500 brake marker.

There was a single tire skid mark where the car had fallen on that rear wheel all the way to the impact location. ABS wouldn't have done that in my opinion. On impact, the entire assembly was ejected from the vehicle and flew a fair distance from it.“
Old 10-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Here's the RTAB pocket failure I mentioned. Your incident sounds familiar.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
A concrete barrier isn't supposed to move like that, they're generally designed to be "rigid." But in this case, since it appears to be have deformed smoothly without creating offsets which snagged the car, the movement of the barrier may have helped reduce the crash severity. If they tried to send me a bill for straightening the barrier, I'd be telling them "your barrier isn't supposed to move."

Wow, what a nasty crash. i had one at Sonoma that did the same job on the barrier. however, after i was hit by a lapped car, and ended up into the Kwall at near 100mph, they put a couple of rows of tires for even better protection for future impacts in that area of the track. the barrier moving is what could have been part of what saved him. I know it saved me! they do move and it doest take much to reduce the gs at impact, tremendously.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Wow, what a nasty crash. i had one at Sonoma that did the same job on the barrier. however, after i was hit by a lapped car, and ended up into the Kwall at near 100mph, they put a couple of rows of tires for even better protection for future impacts in that area of the track. the barrier moving is what could have been part of what saved him. I know it saved me! they do move and it doest take much to reduce the gs at impact, tremendously.
My point is that if you want to redirect a car with a shallow angle of impact, you generally want a rigid barrier which doesn't move. If you want the barrier to move and absorb energy, you want something more flexible like guardrail (Armco), tire walls, etc.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
My point is that if you want to redirect a car with a shallow angle of impact, you generally want a rigid barrier which doesn't move. If you want the barrier to move and absorb energy, you want something more flexible like guardrail (Armco), tire walls, etc.
Interesting comparison here, it's from the ISS site, there are more out there. http://www.impactsafetybarriers.com/...e-analysis.php
Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad that you can recover and are able to tell the story.
Sure I'm not the only one but it's caused me to look at what else I can do to add safety.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Interesting comparison here, it's from the ISS site, there are more out there. http://www.impactsafetybarriers.com/...e-analysis.php
Thanks for the link. They're right about some things, but referring to a concrete barrier as a "cement retaining wall" makes me wonder about what kind of engineering expertise they're drawing on. Their "competitive analysis" is clearly biased in favor of their product, and it's not clear to me that their product has been properly tested for cars.

Quick Reply: Big Crash