Sponsored by:

Most fun race car you’ve driven?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:16 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Fun...

Originally Posted by ace37
I got to wondering - besides obviously good competition, reliability, and adequate affordability - what makes for the most fun time spent in a race car (or track only car). Thinking in terms like the character of the car, the way it must be driven, the intangibles like sound and road feel, and that sort of thing. Maybe it’s raw g-forces, maybe it’s just that it makes you feel like Steve McQueen.

What’s the most fun race car you’ve driven, and why?

Out of all the cars I got to race in the '70s (Ferrari 250 GTO, 911R, Carrera RS, 3,0 RSR, 934.5 Turbo, Kremer K3), I had the most fun and grins racing in SCCA show room stock sedan, driving a Datsun 510. It was fun because it had no power or grip and the racing was very close.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:18 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Thumbs up +

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
1969 911 R Type. By far the most fun you can have with your clothes on. 1,850 lbs, no ABS, no traction control, no power steering, double clutching on downshifts, 901 gearbox, no power under 5,500 rpm and loud!! There is so much going on that you can get totally exhausted from just a 30 min stint.
++

Old 10-30-2018, 09:42 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Only got got drive it for an afternoon, but a Spec Racer Ford is a ball. Raw, open cockpit, and so so light. I recall going flat through the esses at COTA and seeing a 911 wallowing with body roll behind me trying to keep up. Trailer the owner used to haul it was smaller than most small fishing boat trailers.

I'm sure there are others, I just haven't had the chance to drive them.

-Mike
Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Rose
Greed with above. Formula Ford, but I would settle for any Formula car!
My dad still races Formula Fords at 71 years old and has two Swifts. Sadly, I'm way too big to fit in one, so I'm stuck with sports car racing. My dad built an E36 to race against me, but he hated it. Said it was like trying to drive a giant bus compared to the Formula cars.

He'll be at COTA this weekend racing with SVRA. Red/Black Swift #4. Stop by and say hi if any one here is going.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:13 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114609048
Out of all the cars I got to race in the '70s (Ferrari 250 GTO, 911R, Carrera RS, 3,0 RSR, 934.5 Turbo, Kremer K3), I had the most fun and grins racing in SCCA show room stock sedan, driving a Datsun 510. It was fun because it had no power or grip and the racing was very close.
You win!
Old 10-31-2018, 12:00 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

For me it was my Radical SR3. There is nothing like the thrill of driving a lightweight, high downforce car with paddle shifting and slicks. 0 to 60 in ~3 seconds, 2.5g cornering force and 2 g braking force. Causes smiles that are hard to wipe off of your face.

Charley
Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

2016 991 GT3R. Had the opportunity to co drive it in the enduro this past weekend at Daytona with my friend JoeT. It was very interesting to feel how much different the capabilities are between high and low speed sections. The lower speed corners were not much different than most cars but the high speed braking and cornering performance was awesome. The other awesome thing was the torque and how smooth the engine was. So much fun!
Old 10-31-2018, 09:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

That's awesome, Cory. Video, please?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-31-2018, 10:01 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

^^ . In my earlier post I said my Swift FF was my favorite, and I'll stick with that. However, a very close 2nd favorite would be my Showroom Stock C Golf GTI. Close showroom stock racing (in the old days) in SCCA was a blast. I used to load it up, drive it to the track, flog the heck out of it, and drive it home.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:30 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Some phenomenal exotics, interesting cars, and interesting points. Of the more common and attainable race cars mentioned, FFs and shifter karts were cited several times.

Everyone seems to appreciate: Light weight, crazy motor, capable of fairly high g loads, visceral and connected analog driving experience, and obviously good competition

Some like and some don't: Modest power or P/W, low grip levels

It was touched on but I had expected to hear more about folks enjoying cars that are quite hard to drive at the limits with some disagreement. Zzyzx's counterpoint on FF not having enough power to be entertaining in the absence of competition was also interesting.

Luigi, I'm in the same boat as you but only on step one. I rented a Spec Boxster (on Hoosiers) for a NASA DE day and decided I was done tracking daily driven street cars. I bought one and started building it within a few months. It's a good car to learn with and a reasonably good fit for the cars that run locally and that was a big factor in the decision. I actually would have loved to pick up a FF, but I want to race and presently no organizations run formula car races at my local track - just sedans. I may look into the club/entry level fly in arrive-and-drive formula car series after I'm a better driver.

I've never driven a shifter kart, perhaps that would change my perspective on karts. I like karts but I always find myself wanting to run on a track with a bigger sense of scale. I'm not sure why that is, but that's how I've felt. Kind of like autocross. The karts were just basic rental karts though, nothing like shifters. I assume the shifter karts are a completely different experience but I don't have much of a way to grasp or relate to it.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:32 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
Yeah, just brutal acceleration and handling (with the broken ribs to prove it), I regret selling my shifter sometimes, so much fun.
Same here!
Broken ribs getting around in a F125 shifter kart!
Brutal. Mental and physical overload.
I could never exceed 8 minute sessions.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:26 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Some phenomenal exotics, interesting cars, and interesting points. Of the more common and attainable race cars mentioned, FFs and shifter karts were cited several times.

Everyone seems to appreciate: Light weight, crazy motor, capable of fairly high g loads, visceral and connected analog driving experience, and obviously good competition

Some like and some don't: Modest power or P/W, low grip levels

It was touched on but I had expected to hear more about folks enjoying cars that are quite hard to drive at the limits with some disagreement. Zzyzx's counterpoint on FF not having enough power to be entertaining in the absence of competition was also interesting.

Luigi, I'm in the same boat as you but only on step one. I rented a Spec Boxster (on Hoosiers) for a NASA DE day and decided I was done tracking daily driven street cars. I bought one and started building it within a few months. It's a good car to learn with and a reasonably good fit for the cars that run locally and that was a big factor in the decision. I actually would have loved to pick up a FF, but I want to race and presently no organizations run formula car races at my local track - just sedans. I may look into the club/entry level fly in arrive-and-drive formula car series after I'm a better driver.

I've never driven a shifter kart, perhaps that would change my perspective on karts. I like karts but I always find myself wanting to run on a track with a bigger sense of scale. I'm not sure why that is, but that's how I've felt. Kind of like autocross. The karts were just basic rental karts though, nothing like shifters. I assume the shifter karts are a completely different experience but I don't have much of a way to grasp or relate to it.
I've driven modern exotics (Lambos, McLaren, Ferrari's) on track and they're great. My track car is a GT3, I've raced spec cars and 125cc Rotax (direct drive) karts. But when I read the question on this post by the OP, the first thing that came to mind was the shifter kart. Even though I had raced the 125 cc Rotax, the direct drive forces you to be a better driver so you can go through the corners as fast as possible without bogging down the engine whereas the shifter kart, even with the same displacement, the ability to up shift and down shift made it such a visceral experience that it was head and shoulders above the Rotax in "FUN" factor.

The rental karts you mentioned are not the same as the shifters or Rotax and the latter will make you a much better driver (no abs, solid rear axel, no driver aids, etc). Everything happens so fast in a kart that when you get into a regular car everything seems to be happening in slow motion.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:16 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah dude, you win! That's an awesome list of cars.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:49 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

...and the racing was very close.
+1
A toaster could be my favorite race car if the racing was very close.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:59 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

1968 Hemi Belvedere with 4 speed

Quick Reply: Most fun race car you’ve driven?