Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Club Race Enduro 90, 180 or 360 minutes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 01:16 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Mid Ohio
Old 10-29-2018, 01:54 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

MId-O would be super easy on tires. Toyos might even last there.

I would co-drive with Todd, but only if he sits on my lap. In that case I'd like 9 hours please.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:26 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

I am game for 3 or 6. Would have loved to have done the one this year but, er, Colorado.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:01 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd be interested as well in 1-6 hour enduro
Old 10-29-2018, 04:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by drive418
I don't organize any PCA races, but I know there is always talk about how to drive attendance and make events profitable for the regions running them.
Attendance is giving you all the information you need. Make all race weekends three to four 40-45min sprint races. Add a handful of enduros at the biggest venues. Make all races count for points. Ditch concurrent DE’s to maximize track time and minimize downtime for racers.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:34 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Money Talks...

Originally Posted by Nizer

Attendance is giving you all the information you need. Make all race weekends three to four 40-45min sprint races. Add a handful of enduros at the biggest venues. Make all races count for points. Ditch concurrent DE’s to maximize track time and minimize downtime for racers.
As a former CR and current event DE chair, a few details to consider. DEs support Racing with paying for the track rental. 3hr/6hr Enduro will require much higher fees for racers to pay for track time vacated by DEs. The risk w/o DE increases for hosting club if racers fail to sign up/pay. More than a few CR/DE combos lose money on the Racers, but make enough profit on DE/A-DE to keep the combo positive or break even. A few big events could possibly do it, but then the longer Enduro across 2 or 3 enduros will need more track time than DEs could give up (Sebring / Daytona for example).
Old 10-29-2018, 09:35 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

This doesn’t address how to make races that are looking to increase participation. The biggest venues, like Watkins Glen, Road America, Road Atlanta, etc., are not experiencing attendance issues. Smaller venues like Mid Ohio (not economically feasible as a club race weekend only) and Gingerman (cancelled the race in the past few years due to low attendance) need to include DE groups to conduct the Club Race or provide a race experience not found elsewhere.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz

As a former CR and current event DE chair, a few details to consider. DEs support Racing with paying for the track rental. 3hr/6hr Enduro will require much higher fees for racers to pay for track time vacated by DEs. The risk w/o DE increases for hosting club if racers fail to sign up/pay. More than a few CR/DE combos lose money on the Racers, but make enough profit on DE/A-DE to keep the combo positive or break even. A few big events could possibly do it, but then the longer Enduro across 2 or 3 enduros will need more track time than DEs could give up (Sebring / Daytona for example).

Understand the issues at hand. No easy answers and no one-size fits all solution for large and small venues. What I will say is the two main areas of complaint I hear about club racing is lack of track time and total time away from work and family with a race weekend, which are flip sides of the same coin. Guys I talk to would pay more for higher quality racing with less downtime. All I'm saying.

Originally Posted by drive418
This doesn’t address how to make races that are looking to increase participation. The biggest venues, like Watkins Glen, Road America, Road Atlanta, etc., are not experiencing attendance issues. Smaller venues like Mid Ohio (not economically feasible as a club race weekend only) and Gingerman (cancelled the race in the past few years due to low attendance) need to include DE groups to conduct the Club Race or provide a race experience not found elsewhere.

What's the ratio of sprint race participation to enduro participation? The market is speaking but I'm not sure organizers are listening.

I'd like to see one of the smaller venues experiment with an event that gives racers four 45-minute quality races, which really comes down to relatively evenly matched run groups, and gets them out by 3pm Sunday. Not saying it's the answer but the fact that attendance is declining at smaller events while the economy is going gangbusters suggests it's time to try something different.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:01 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

[QUOTE=Nizer;15396178]Understand the issues at hand. No easy answers and no one-size fits all solution for large and small venues. What I will say is the two main areas of complaint I hear about club racing is lack of track time and total time away from work and family with a race weekend, which are flip sides of the same coin. Guys I talk to would pay more for higher quality racing with less downtime. All I'm saying [QUOTE]

Well put and I agree. Why not try the Enduro format at some of the “big draw” tracks? I’ve raced AER for 3 years and the amount of track time is insane: 27 total hours, over 3 days, for $1900. Friday is 9 hours of practice and qualifying, while SAT and SUN are both 9 hour races. Car counts are there with Road Atlanta having 60, Watkins Glen 98, NJMP 60, and Mid Ohio 60. In 2018 the cars ranged from spec Miatas to a slew of e36 and e46 BMW, to 991 Cup, and Ferrari 488 Challenge.

Rule book is basically “run what ya brung”, really good driving, and organizers that shockingly treat you with respect. Imagine that. We have 3 drivers per weekend so basically $650 per guy for 9 hours of wheel to wheel. Nine hours at a typical PCA event would be 3 race weekends? 4? Oh and did I mention the organizers treat you with respect?........
Old 10-30-2018, 10:25 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Market says sprints and track time are way to go, not enduros. I'm with the market, no need for enduros.

Comment on the respect issue, I just raced at Sonoma, October 27/28. This was a NASA event with a single PCA run group. And a single PRC run group. But all within NASA. Big big difference from PCA east coast / midwest. NASA very customer oriented, very different from the PCA I've known - "...grant you the privilege of racing in PCA".

FWIW, the PCA people at Sonoma were quite a bit more relaxed than I've seen east.

PCA car counts are down. And going down. Hmmm.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
MId-O would be super easy on tires. Toyos might even last there.

I would co-drive with Todd, but only if he sits on my lap. In that case I'd like 9 hours please.
Do we both get points or have to split them? I need to know before I commit to this.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:26 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
Mid Ohio
EXACTLY what I was thinking. Too awesome a track to possibly lose as a PCA Club Racing venue.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:30 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Do we both get points or have to split them? I need to know before I commit to this.
Pretty sure we'll get major style points.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:53 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
EXACTLY what I was thinking. Too awesome a track to possibly lose as a PCA Club Racing venue.
^^This.^^

The four sprints over two days is also a unique, intriguing idea. However, I don’t know enough about the PCA rules to comment on how that would impact the points awarded for the weekend.

I think we all can agree that new ideas would help drive attendance at some of the smaller club races. Thus, the point of the thread.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:26 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Market says sprints and track time are way to go, not enduros. I'm with the market, no need for enduros.
+1
Given the choice, I'd rather do 6x 30-40min sprints (with some rest in between) than a single 3-4hr enduro. Why voluntarily torture yourself and your car (and increase the risk of crashing from both exhaustion and mechanical failure) when no one is paying you to do it?

Also, every race should be a points race.

Quick Reply: PCA Club Race Enduro 90, 180 or 360 minutes?