PCA rules: Requiring Arm Restraints for open roof cars during HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
you can still comply with the rule and have your way by either using longer restraints that do not interfering with your motion or wearing restraints not connected to your belts. Last I checked no organization checked to see that your personal protective equipment was properly implemented on the grid.
That’s some of the first bad advice you’ve given on this forum, and I’m going to call you out on it. From a well traveled and experienced SCCA racer, too!

I don’t care what someone’s personal opinion is on required safety equipment for the organization they’re running with.

To advocate that they intentionally flout or disregard the rules by defeating the purpose of the gear (too long an arm extension, such that the tips of their fingers are able to extend over the top of their helmet) or not even connect the restraints to their buckle is not only absurd, but wrong and potentially exposing them to actions that will shorten their competition career, either officially or through physical harm.

in thirty years of wearing these things, I’ve been checked on the grid so often, it’s not funny. Been caught out more than once or twice, too.

C’mon. Don’t tell people that ****, they might try it...
Old 10-27-2018, 06:03 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

That’s some of the first bad advice you’ve given on this forum, and I’m going to call you out on it. From a well traveled and experienced SCCA racer, too!

I don’t care what someone’s personal opinion is on required safety equipment for the organization they’re running with.

To advocate that they intentionally flout or disregard the rules by defeating the purpose of the gear (too long an arm extension, such that the tips of their fingers are able to extend over the top of their helmet) or not even connect the restraints to their buckle is not only absurd, but wrong and potentially exposing them to actions that will shorten their competition career, either officially or through physical harm.

in thirty years of wearing these things, I’ve been checked on the grid so often, it’s not funny. Been caught out more than once or twice, too.

It's called "thinning the heard".
Old 10-27-2018, 09:09 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes I get your point....

I'm not advising it. I'm reporting on it. This is being done everyday! People don't wear their nomex socks. It is hot and their suits are unzipped. How many drive tintops with visors up? How many have oily or torn suits? I have seen guys refill cars spill gas on firesuits and not bat an eyelash. I know a guy who always wears his HANS "over" his 3" body belt. He is legal per the GCR.

Darwinism...I believe in educating people not babysitting them.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I have seen guys refill cars spill gas on firesuits and not bat an eyelash. I know a guy who always wears his HANS "over" his 3" body belt. He is legal per the GCR...
I believe the GCR has wording that requires the safety harness, HANS, and helmet to be used properly. If you think not, then write them and they will add it to the next edition.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I don't know. I must have the best grid workers, or the biggest SOB stewards around, because at many of the races I attend, they've checked JUST THESE THINGS.

Specifically, socks and shoes (and I've seen people sent back to the paddock from the grid for cotton or wool socks), busted zippers, et cetera.

I've had this happen at Road Atlanta, VIR, Summit, Savannah, Daytona, Lime Rock and the Glen in the last few years.

The Summit folks, even when I raised my arms and the restraints stopped the upward travel, came over, reached in the car and gave them a yank.

I have had my helmet strap caught undone a time or three (when rushing to the grid) by eagle-eyed grid folks. That said, they missed my HANS tethers being undone last month at VIR...

I don't think these violations in the proper use of safety equipment are near as common as you say...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-27-2018, 10:20 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't think these violations in the proper use of safety equipment are near as common as you say...
Maybe. You are a track pro with experience and I'm a track hack. Or maybe they realize you open cockpit guys are more at risk than those of us surrounded by steel. Or they just can't see in tintop cars with requisite window net up. Having your helmet lift off at 150 on the front straight at Daytona can hit and kill another driver. In a tintop only the driver gets his brains scrambled. My white nomex socks get black from my black Nomex shoes. After a season they go in the wastebin. I know a guy who has a single new "old" pair of socks he uses every year for his annual gear check. He has never worn them...Like the anti-armrestraint guy he thinks fireproof socks are dumb. Those who do accident investigation one of the 1st things they look for is pilot error. Often that bias is born out. I don't think any accident on 4 wheels is any different.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:23 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't know. I must have the best grid workers, or the biggest SOB stewards around, because at many of the races I attend, they've checked JUST THESE THINGS.

Specifically, socks and shoes (and I've seen people sent back to the paddock from the grid for cotton or wool socks), busted zippers, et cetera.

I've had this happen at Road Atlanta, VIR, Summit, Savannah, Daytona, Lime Rock and the Glen in the last few years.

The Summit folks, even when I raised my arms and the restraints stopped the upward travel, came over, reached in the car and gave them a yank.

I have had my helmet strap caught undone a time or three (when rushing to the grid) by eagle-eyed grid folks. That said, they missed my HANS tethers being undone last month at VIR...

When I drive at the Glen with Group 52 he (Tim) always gestures to me to raise my arms to demonstrate the arm restraints are on. One time I had attached the restraints to my harness but had forgotten to pull them onto my arms.
A pit out person like this is a gold standard.
He also motions me to demonstrate that HANS tethers are attached and my chin strap is tight.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:50 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I just came upon this thread and don't know the background.

What is the new PCA rule regarding DE?

Tia,
Fred
Old 10-28-2018, 02:51 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

We used to get arm restraints checked in SPBs all the time on grid with PCA but since they allowed roof nets instead, nobody seems to check anymore. They checked belts and HANs at every race I attended this year. They even caught that my radio had come unplugged at one race.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911

Tia,
Fred
to my knowledge there is no new rule. There is a new objection to an old rule that requires the use of arm restraints in open cockpit cars.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:07 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Are you actually complaining about a safety device being required?

While the canvas top may not seem like much protection they are designed by serious engineer types to stay in place in an accident. A roof net provides similar protection.

No roof is no protection. The thin fiberglass fake roofs on some race cars are not designed by serious engineers to stay in place. They disintegrate. They are not protection.

And in our chapter, DE or race, the grid checks all your safety devices. All of them. Every time. Even of you are late for the session they don't let you roll on out to get track time. they stop you and check your safety devices.

You seem to have PCA specific issues. I think the answer to all your problems is pretty clear.

See the pictures at the end of this video:

Last edited by Streak; 10-29-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:39 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
As I said in my PM to you a few days ago, the wrist restraints are a known and proven part of the safety regimen and are only for YOUR safety. If you do not like PCA's stance on them, there are other organizations you can run with that do not require them.

Personally I think the biggest obstacle for you here is simply getting accustomed to putting them on and getting comfortable with them. I use wrist restraints all the time. Have I ever forgotten them? Yes, but it is extraordinarily rare.
I remember first using restraints and thinking how much of a pain in the butt they were. They felt restrictive and the routine of attaching them added some time to my getting in the car. Now I feel as naked without them as I would without a HANS. For that matter I recall that when I first wore a HANS I felt it was also restrictive and uncomfortable. Now I wouldn't dare go out without it on.

My wife and I have driven two Boxsters (caged with hard shell) and she now drives a Global Mx-5 (fully caged but no hard top). We also drive Formula Mazda and an Ariel Atom. Yes, wrist restraints all the time.

Please think about changing your stance.

You may be a great driver for all I know but you strike me as a bit green when you talk flippantly about issues like these and your attitude toward PCA.
Frankly I feel more comfortable when Dave wears wrist restraints at all times. Including, but not limited to, the Seneca bar.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:54 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Frankly I feel more comfortable when Dave wears wrist restraints at all times. Including, but not limited to, the Seneca bar.
I seem to recall you trying to get me to wear ankle restraints at the Seneca. No thank you.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:35 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I seem to recall you trying to get me to wear ankle restraints at the Seneca. No thank you.
Didn't need that image, thanks Dave.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:37 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911

Tia,
Fred
Just to be clear, this is a "problem" that a noob has with PCA (in general). He's way smarter and more experienced than anyone here, and he knows it.

Quick Reply: PCA rules: Requiring Arm Restraints for open roof cars during HPDE