Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
That's gonna leave a mark....
Old 10-17-2018, 04:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I remember at Car Guys a LONG time ago, early 1990's, when a C-level exec for Golden Corral, a local restaurant chain, was riding right seat in a 1980's 911 at Summit Point in the fall.

Going down into T1, the spot where one of the videos posted was exactly, a large buck crossed left-to-right between cars (at vMax).

The right side pillar of the car Larry was in split the animal in half, the hind half coming inside the car. The workers said that there was so much blood, it was hard to tell what was what.

In those days, many of us wore open faced helmets, and in this case, Larry suffered pretty severe maxillofacial injuries with glass and animal parts inflicting most of it. He was transported to Duke Hospital close to home and we looked in on him fairly often during his recovery.

After, he still rode right seat periodically, but that image has always stayed with me.

I do race an open car at Summit, but it's been a while since I did it in the fall.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I hit a deer on the front straight. Same day, someone else hit a deer in the braking zone of T1 and his car was totaled. I've also hit a groundhog in the braking zone of T1 at about 140 mph, causing thousands of dollars in damage. Totally unacceptable situation, which can be solved if the owners have the will and spend some money (they have plenty of money). Fencing would work, and it doesn't have to enclose the perimeter of the track to greatly reduce the chance of a deer strike. Never seen an animal on track at any other track.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
I hit a deer on the front straight. Same day, someone else hit a deer in the braking zone of T1 and his car was totaled. I've also hit a groundhog in the braking zone of T1 at about 140 mph, causing thousands of dollars in damage. Totally unacceptable situation, which can be solved if the owners have the will and spend some money (they have plenty of money). Fencing would work, and it doesn't have to enclose the perimeter of the track to greatly reduce the chance of a deer strike. Never seen an animal on track at any other track.
I've seen animals on track at The Glen, Lime Rock, Summit, VIR (a turkey at the top of the Esses), Roebling Road and others... You need to get out more.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:17 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I've seen animals on track at The Glen, Lime Rock, Summit, VIR (a turkey at the top of the Esses), Roebling Road and others... You need to get out more.
That's really an unfair thing to say.

I have almost 200 days at various tracks. Let's jog animal sightings from memory:

1) WGI (track I go to most often) = 1 groundhog.
2) VIR (numerous visits) = 1 groundhog.
3) NJMP (TBolt and Lightning) = 0.
4) Mid-Ohio = 0.
5) PittRace = 0.
6) Palmar = 0.
7) Mosport = 0.
8) Pocono = 0.
9) Road Atlanta = 0.
10) Road America = 0.
11) Summit (Main and Shenandoah) = at least 3 deer and 1 groundhog on track that I witnessed personally. Numerous deer and groundhog impacts with participants at the events I've attended. Numerous videos online. Forget the videos, just look at my personal accounts compared to other tracks. And as I mentioned above, I haven't even been to SP all that many times.

On the flip side, I'll concur with above that SP is a very fun track and the new surface is great (though there are patches already at Turn 6).
Old 10-17-2018, 06:34 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
That's really an unfair thing to say.

I have almost 200 days at various tracks. Let's jog animal sightings from memory:

1) WGI (track I go to most often) = 1 groundhog.
2) VIR (numerous visits) = 1 groundhog.
3) NJMP (TBolt and Lightning) = 0.
4) Mid-Ohio = 0.
5) PittRace = 0.
6) Palmar = 0.
7) Mosport = 0.
8) Pocono = 0.
9) Road Atlanta = 0.
10) Road America = 0.
11) Summit (Main and Shenandoah) = at least 3 deer and 1 groundhog on track that I witnessed personally. Numerous deer and groundhog impacts with participants at the events I've attended. Numerous videos online. Forget the videos, just look at my personal accounts compared to other tracks. And as I mentioned above, I haven't even been to SP all that many times.

On the flip side, I'll concur with above that SP is a very fun track and the new surface is great (though there are patches already at Turn 6).
Yeah, I have well over 200 days at various tracks on the East Coast plus COTA. That's a big enough sample size to infer some rates. The fact I've hit a deer and groundhog at SP, and personally know others who've hit animals at SP, yet have never seen animals at the other tracks nor know anyone who's hit them at those tracks, tells you clearly that SP has an animal problem. If a track owner is being negligent about an issue like this, we should be complaining and applying pressure for them to fix it, rather than being complacent about it, or worse, defending the track owner!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I've seen:

MMC: Foxes
WGI: Groundhog
Limerock: Big *** turtles (the live kind)
VIR: the guy in the Radical I banged wheels with. He was an animal.

Oh and one time at Sebring there was a hooker wandering the paddock. Does that count?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I've seen:

MMC: Foxes
WGI: Groundhog
Limerock: Big *** turtles (the live kind)
VIR: the guy in the Radical I banged wheels with. He was an animal.

Oh and one time at Sebring there was a hooker wandering the paddock. Does that count?
Only if you hit her.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Only if you hit her.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Only if you hit her.
Haha!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:28 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 260 Posts

I was at the Glen in August during the big rain (something like 9 inches in 2 days) and I saw pairs of animals on the back straight....

And then an ark on the front straight

Gary
......all that water, and yet, no Phish.....

Last edited by gbuff; 10-17-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:08 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
I was at the Glen in August during the big rain (something like 9 inches in 2 days) and I saw pairs of animals on the back straight....

And then an ark on the front straight

Gary
......all that water, and yet, no Phish.....
That’s some funny $hit right there. No Phish. Haha.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Just hoping I don't see any reindeer on track next Tues at Mosport......unless they're pulling a sleigh with a fat guy in it

Gary
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbuff
Just hoping I don't see any reindeer on track next Tues at Mosport......unless they're pulling a sleigh with a fat guy in it

Gary
Well just get some legal weed up there and you won't worry about these things.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:42 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Well just get some legal weed up there and you won't worry about these things.
Faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrr out, maaaaaaaaan

I forsee longer wait times at the border for this........might have to finally bite the bullet and sign up for Nexus, which is a complete PITA.

Quick Reply: A View From Summit Point