Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Girodisc users - how much life left in these?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Girodisc users - how much life left in these?

This is the second set of rings I've been through...but I can never seem to remember the threshold for when I changed them previously.

Plenty of depth left in the slots, some of the cracks are starting to look daunting but honestly they've looked like this about the whole second half of my track season.

So the question is...these have 1 or more weekend in them still?

Rear of a 996 GT3 on PFC 08's and GT2 cooling ducts

Old 10-15-2018, 10:31 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

I would call them very well done.

FWIW, i hang on to the old ones as "field spares"
Old 10-15-2018, 11:29 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I would say there is plenty of life. The cracks are not edge to edge. Mine do exactly what yours have, start that and then don’t change. I can normally run until no slots and they will still not look any worse than that.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:10 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I only see one crack and it isn't going to the outside or inside. The rest of what you think are cracks are actually heat fissures caused by thermal expansion.
From the pics there is still life left just keep and eye on them.
If rotor wear is a concern I would get away from PFC 08. This compound is the most rotor unfriendly compound I sell. One customer told me that he thought the 08 pads were going to outlast the rotors. I would consider Ferodo DS1.11 . It is very rotor friendly with no performance compromises..
https://apexperformance.net/ferodo-porsche/

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with mmuller. Slight cracking in the middle is normal as long as it doesn't extend to the edges. I believe Girodisc specifies a minimum thickness for rotors. I measure mine with a caliper to be certain. Take 2 quarters and measure their thickness. Place them on the rotor toward the middle, measure, then subtract the thickness of the quarters. This eliminates any false readings due to a lip on the edge of the rotor.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark-ApexPerformance
I only see one crack and it isn't going to the outside or inside. The rest of what you think are cracks are actually heat fissures caused by thermal expansion.
If rotor wear is a concern I would get away from PFC 08. This compound is the most rotor unfriendly compound I sell. One customer told me that he thought the 08 pads were going to outlast the rotors. I would consider Ferodo DS1.11 . It is very rotor friendly with no performance compromises..
I switched from the 08 to DS1.11 3 years ago and never looked back.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:18 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

We published an iron disc replacement guide on our Essex Blog a while back, and you can see it in the link below. While it is geared towards our AP Racing J Hook Discs, the basic advice applies to any iron disc. Hopefully you find this information helpful!

When is it Time to Replace my Iron Brake Discs?
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 10-16-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I've been thinking of switching, just never out of fronts and rears at the same time to make it an easy switch. I run cayenne rotors on the front at $90 each so I could care less about going through them. The Girodisc rears have been on there at least 2 seasons at their current state.

How much more quickly do Ferodo pads wear compared to 08's? I think I went a year and a half on the last set of rear pads I ran...I go through maybe 1.5 set of fronts per year.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I've been thinking of switching, just never out of fronts and rears at the same time to make it an easy switch. I run cayenne rotors on the front at $90 each so I could care less about going through them. The Girodisc rears have been on there at least 2 seasons at their current state.

How much more quickly do Ferodo pads wear compared to 08's? I think I went a year and a half on the last set of rear pads I ran...I go through maybe 1.5 set of fronts per year.
I can't give you a direct comparison other than to say the 08s will outlast the Ferodos. However anyone that switches to the Ferodo don't go back to what they have used previously. Bill Lehman who has used both might be able to offer a better wear comparison. Bill are you out there?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I can't give you a direct comparison other than to say the 08s will outlast the Ferodos. However anyone that switches to the Ferodo don't go back to what they have used previously. Bill Lehman who has used both might be able to offer a better wear comparison. Bill are you out there?
Yes Clark, I'm here (See post #6). On my GT4 I got 15 days out of the first set of fronts, 42% remaining, and 16 out of the second set, 34% remaining. . Got 30 days out the first set of rears, 45% remaining. I'm pretty sure that AudiOn19s brakes less then me!!
Old 10-16-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
Yes Clark, I'm here (See post #6). On my GT4 I got 15 days out of the first set of fronts, 42% remaining, and 16 out of the second set, 34% remaining. . Got 30 days out the first set of rears, 45% remaining. I'm pretty sure that AudiOn19s brakes less then me!!
Thanks Bill, that's pretty good life out of them. My brother loves them on his RX-7 but that car eats pads like nobody's business....like he's getting 2-3 weekends max out of the Ferodo's before they're gone and that's with ample cooling and the AP racing full front brake kit on his car too. Your experience seems to be much more in line with what I'd hope to get out of a set.

How's pedal modulation with the Forodo's?

...and that brake pedal just ruins the fun so I try to use it as little as possible :-)

Old 10-16-2018, 03:55 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm still using 08s on my GT3, but tried Raybestos ST 43 on the Corvette. I know it is apples and oranges, but if they are available in that size, I'll try them on the GT3 next. They bite! Using them on Girodiscs, they last a long time, with more weight and more speed than the GT3.

Andy, bring them to VIR!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:05 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Chuck and Andy, you going to the NNJR VIR event?
Old 10-16-2018, 06:06 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

YUP!!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:18 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by mmuller
Chuck and Andy, you going to the NNJR VIR event?
Yes, first time at VIR...excited

Quick Reply: Girodisc users - how much life left in these?