Sponsored by:

Input on boxter s track car

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 06:00 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Input on boxter s track car

As a former road racer, I still have the track habit. As fun as it is with my Panamera GTS, I'm looking for a car more dedicated to track shenanigans. So with my previous track experiences having been either on two-wheels or with a roof over my head, I am considering a Boxster s. I'm looking for input, info, and/or advice on the in's and out's of running an open topped vehicle on track. No racing at this point, just open track days. Thanks!

Oh, the vehicle I'm considering has extended roll bar, harnesses, etc.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodogs02
As a former road racer, I still have the track habit. As fun as it is with my Panamera GTS, I'm looking for a car more dedicated to track shenanigans. So with my previous track experiences having been either on two-wheels or with a roof over my head, I am considering a Boxster s. I'm looking for input, info, and/or advice on the in's and out's of running an open topped vehicle on track. No racing at this point, just open track days. Thanks!

Oh, the vehicle I'm considering has extended roll bar, harnesses, etc.

Go for it. Some groups might not let you run with a convertible. Some will make you keep it up. Some will let you keep it down. Boxster S is a great platform.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:02 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

most groups are satisfied with the extended roll hoop and arm restraints
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

There's also a healthy used market re. Boxster factory hard tops.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Take a close look at the shoulder strap mounting and angle to the driver HNR (hans or hybrid). I have seen 986 and 987 set ups with the shoulder straps wrapped on the factory roll hoops which often results in incorrect angle for the HNR.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Get a coupe IMO....
Old 10-16-2018, 08:59 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
most groups are satisfied with the extended roll hoop and arm restraints
This. If anyone challenges the use of convertibles on track, look how many open top Miatas are out there.

If you're exceptionally tall, make sure you can pass a broom test with your helmet on.
There are a few tracks and clubs that still ban convertibles, but that's becoming more rare.

I read a lot of things that said the soft top 986 is still not allowed in many events, but the 987 and newer are. Not sure how accurate this is.

Expect the Boxster to be a bit heavier and less rigid than a Cayman, but they can also be found for much cheaper.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

986 not allowed at events? what? No one has ever said anything about my 986 not being allowed, and thats with multiple clubs. Rollbar extension from brey krause and you're good to go.

the platform is fantastic, the m96/m97 are dodgy as hell. Its a great car to drive on track, but I wish I didn't have to worry so much about engine reliability.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:53 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
986 not allowed at events? what? No one has ever said anything about my 986 not being allowed, and thats with multiple clubs. Rollbar extension from brey krause and you're good to go.
That may have been what it was: the 986 requires the roll bar extension whereas many clubs allow the 987 with the factory roll bar.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:25 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Take a close look at the shoulder strap mounting and angle to the driver HNR (hans or hybrid). I have seen 986 and 987 set ups with the shoulder straps wrapped on the factory roll hoops which often results in incorrect angle for the HNR.
+1.

I know which car you are considering and the shoulder-harness angle could be off based on the photos. Find out the seller's height (and short/normal/long torso) and get a photo of him wearing the harness in the car. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...acing-harness/

Otherwise it looks like a good deal.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:26 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for it! Looking at a 14 S myself. Let us know what happens.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:01 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Get a coupe IMO....
Can I ask why you say this? Is this based on any factual evidence or is it just biased opinion?

987 Boxster with the factory, triangulated, welded-to-chassis roll bar is - I submit - safer than a Cayman in a rollover if wearing arm restraints. Now, if one has a Cayman (or any coupe, e.g. M3) then adds a roll bar, that's a different scenario. But let's cool off on the "if you have an open top, you're gonna die (or get severely injured)" nonsense. As has been shown, 987 roll bar is fine in a roll over.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:56 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Great replies and info, thanks everyone. I've read about the arm restraints, so I do appreciate that mention as well. This is a 986 Boxster and it does have the Brey Kraus extension. Thanks for the suggestion of the "broom stick test". There's also deep sump, etc., so there are some nice bits on the car. It does seem that I've seen a lot of pictures of the Boxsters with the hard tops attached, which is what prompted me to start this. But as was mentioned earlier, just about any Miata I've seen is running as an open top car.

With that said, for anyone having run or currently running open top.....do find there to be any annoying air pressures in the car, or any buffeting, or other negative aspects? Sorry not sure how to phrase that question, as I've never experience track speeds in an open top car.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:57 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid

+1.

I know which car you are considering and the shoulder-harness angle could be off based on the photos. Find out the seller's height (and short/normal/long torso) and get a photo of him wearing the harness in the car. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...acing-harness/

Otherwise it looks like a good deal.
PM sent
Old 10-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodogs02
Great replies and info, thanks everyone. I've read about the arm restraints, so I do appreciate that mention as well. This is a 986 Boxster and it does have the Brey Kraus extension. Thanks for the suggestion of the "broom stick test". There's also deep sump, etc., so there are some nice bits on the car. It does seem that I've seen a lot of pictures of the Boxsters with the hard tops attached, which is what prompted me to start this. But as was mentioned earlier, just about any Miata I've seen is running as an open top car.

With that said, for anyone having run or currently running open top.....do find there to be any annoying air pressures in the car, or any buffeting, or other negative aspects? Sorry not sure how to phrase that question, as I've never experience track speeds in an open top car.
If you can, run it top up. No buffeting at all, very calm cabin and you are wedged in pretty tight so its nice

Quick Reply: Input on boxter s track car