Sponsored by:

VIR conditions after the hurricanes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:52 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Default VIR conditions after the hurricanes

Has anyone been to VIR recently? Would appreciate any color on how badly flooded it might be or possibly any damage to the track surface itself.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:10 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I was supposed to do the SCCA Goblins Go race there this weekend. Luckily, I used good judgment for once and didn't try to make the trip down in the storm. The test day and race had to be canceled. Here a link with some photos and details - Flooding at VIR It does not sound like the track was damaged. I'll be there this weekend with FSR.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I’m headed to my office at the track today. Will report back but power is on, Internet is on, the River is no longer rising and from experience, the track is not damaged. No karting, though...
Old 10-15-2018, 11:24 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Their were some pictures with the water getting pretty close to the track. If it's anything like Lake Lime Rock, it'll recede and all will be normal.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It was on the track at T1 and the old T2. Very close at T17 exit and drivers left the new T2.

VIR is surrounded on three sides by the Dan River, which was well above flood stage Friday-Saturday.

Frankly, I was surprised that the track management suggested the possibility of continuing with the SCCA Goblins Go event with no power at the track on Friday.

But, the power came back on over the weekend and the river level has receded somewhat.

This is not the first time this has happened.

Prayers to the track workers, staff and admin that live in Pittsylvania (Danville) and Halifax (South Boston) counties. Danville area was hit hard by the flooding.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Thanks Peter.
We have a 3 day DE there 10/26-10/28.
In your opinion, this event shouldn't have any issues barring unforeseen circumstances at this point? Is the track open for business as usual as of today?
I heard there was a cancellation of an event or two after the storm passed through. I also heard that there was some bridge damage in and around Danville as well, including power outages that basically shut the town down temporarily.
Seeing as you are there now, are things back to normal for the most part? We are very concerned about our DE there end of October.
Was the track itself damaged in any way? (Water getting under the asphalt and collapsing it in places?)
What I heard is strictly a rumor(s), but we are wondering about our DE status and haven't really gotten any info on it.
What do you know, if anything, about our DE going forward in a week and a half? Just wondering if you heard anything....

Thanks for any info you can provide....
Old 10-15-2018, 07:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I’m not concerned. They’ve cleaned up the track, power was back on Friday night, bikes were running today.

I’ve got a First Settlers Region PCA event Friday through Saturday 10/19-20, Chin Track days 10/21-10/22, VIR Club 10/24-25, NNJR-PCA 10/26-10/28, and I have zero concerns about those events going off on time.

I’d confirm your hotel reservations, but unless it’s on the river, which most aren’t, you’ll be fine!

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-15-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:48 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm coming down Saturday in the motorhome. Any road damage or any other issues with the usual "big rig" route into VIR?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I did see a detour down NC62/NC57 and back north on NC119, ostensibly because US 58 was washed out between Danville and South Boston, but that's it, AFAIK. Had no issues from the south up the track.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I’m not concerned. They’ve cleaned up the track, power was back on Friday night, bikes were running today.

I’ve got a First Settlers Region PCA event Friday through Saturday 10/19-20, Chin Track days 10/21-10/22, VIR Club 10/24-25, NNJR-PCA 10/26-10/28, and I have zero concerns about those events going off on time.

I’d confirm your hotel reservations, but unless it’s on the river, which most aren’t, you’ll be fine!
Thanks.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

1) US Highway 58 is currently closed between highway 119 and highway 62 due to bridges being washed out last Thursday. If coming from the east on 58 you'll need to go South on 119 to get to VIR. If coming from the west you'll need to head south on 62 toward Milton NC. These are the normal routes anyway and they are both open. Its just the portion of highway 58 between these two routes that is closed. Be careful and provide a little extra time due to all the traffic being detoured along our normally quiet routes to VIR.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

1) US Highway 58 is currently closed between highway 119 and highway 62 due to bridges being washed out last Thursday. If coming from the east on 58 you'll need to go South on 119 to get to VIR. If coming from the west you'll need to head south on 62 toward Milton NC. These are the normal routes anyway and they are both open. Its just the portion of highway 58 between these two routes that is closed. Be careful and provide a little extra time due to all the traffic being detoured along our normally quiet routes to VIR.
At the expense of redundancy, I am staying in Danville. There are no closures between Danville and the road you make a right on to go through Milton, NC?

IOW, the normal route from Danville (town center) to VIR (through Milton, NC) is open, is that correct? Thanks..
Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Correct. No issues from Danville hotels east on US58, south through Milton on 62/57, left to track on Racetrack Rd or Dotmond Rd to the track.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:08 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Correct. No issues from Danville hotels east on US58, south through Milton on 62/57, left to track on Racetrack Rd or Dotmond Rd to the track.
Perfect. Thanks coach.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My client for this event has decided he’s going to race at Daytona instead (and I wish him well!).

I have four two-hour, one-on-one sessions, two on Friday and two on Saturday, available.

Use your reservation and meeting time for evaluation purposes, generating a list of opportunities for improvement you can use for this event and the next year, exploring your data and video capabilities further to more effectively coach yourself and others, all kinds of possibilities. Even includes loan of HD video and data to make sure we have lots to talk about!

The sessions for the FSR-PCA event this weekend sold out FAST!

Quick Reply: VIR conditions after the hurricanes