Old 10-16-2018, 03:18 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

RIP
Old 10-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by doba_s
Usually there is a corner worker at T7 as you come up the hill and it appears that that day no one was there. It looks like a few cars went over the spilled oil but were lucky to save it (prior to the crash). My guess is that corner worker at T8 saw cars loosing control and probably stepped out to warn others. Unfortunately if the oil was on the track at the braking zone it’s too late for a warning. I would think if there was a worker at T7 a lot of this could have been avoided.
If true, that's an example of how we need to look at how the overall system was operating in order to understand the contributing factors, rather the latching onto only the most obvious factors. The corner worker at T8 shouldn't have been put in a position of trying to compensate for a corner worker being missing at another station where it was vital to have a corner worker. We can't really fault him for trying to fill a gap in the safety system, and it appears that he paid the ultimate price for trying to do so.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Very sad please try and post the link to the funding page here . I cant see why it would not be allowed on here.

Somebody gave there life to try and keep us safe . He's a hero and we should all reach out and support his family.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:49 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Very sad please try and post the link to the funding page here . I cant see why it would not be allowed on here.

Somebody gave there life to try and keep us safe . He's a hero and we should all reach out and support his family.
Hey Steve, this is the link I used to donate....

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=ALAKEFGGEWPR4

Old 10-16-2018, 11:03 AM
DFWCanuck
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tragic, shocking and incredibly sad. I've never been to LS but it is a bucket list item for me. If the corner workers there are anything like the folks I've spent time with at WGI or VIR on station they are some of the most genuine spirits at the track and it is painful to think about one of them losing their life enabling our passion for the DE hobby.

Vid997 Please PM or post the link
Old 10-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Jcolombotos
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all condolences to family and friends of everyone involved.

I might have some other pieces to this unfortunate story here.

I was running in Group A also
I believe I may have been the first car through oil and the crash happened with the next set of cars directly behind me possibly.

I waited in the pits until I heard the first cars released by the track Marshall Then I entered the hot tip directly behind a car that I believe dropped oil and proceeded on track.

I tend to warm up my tire slowly usually two laps before I really start hammering them So car that ended up dropping oil was long gone. But like I said there is no one in between us.

No issues with grip through turns 345 or six .

Came up to the plateau at the top of the track breakpoint marker three maybe at 70 miles an hour Appllied brakes ....lost complete control the car Veered right and slowed the car down finally I knew right away I was in oil at that point I think I was near brake marker 1 looked over at the Flagger He was out past his station approximately 5 feet walking back to his station I tried to get his attention pointing down to the ground unfortunately he was walking back to the station .
he had no flag in his hand ....And I’m taking a big assumption here.... maybe he was going back to radio in or grab a flag as he saw something on the track went out to see prior to me getting to the corner

proceeded down turns 89 and 10 and pulled into the hot pits And stopped at the track Marshall station to informed him that there was oil at the top of the track all the way down through turn 10.
Informed the track Marshall of a flagger being outside his station Which I thought was odd.

Knowing what we know now which is still not a lot I personally believe the flagger saw something on track between the car dropping oil in my car at that point I have no idea what happened.

To the boys who came up behind me no doubt you were running at full bore
With that much oil on track there would be no way of controlling a car at that critical brake point.

things happened so quick in the time the Flagger noted the track condition and the first wreck I’m not sure even if there was a flagger at station seven it would’ve helped.

Again condolences to all involved

Jim Colombotos
Old 10-16-2018, 12:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jcolombotos
First of all condolences to family and friends of everyone involved.

I might have some other pieces to this unfortunate story here.

I was running in Group A also
I believe I may have been the first car through oil and the crash happened with the next set of cars directly behind me possibly.

I waited in the pits until I heard the first cars released by the track Marshall Then I entered the hot tip directly behind a car that I believe dropped oil and proceeded on track.

I tend to warm up my tire slowly usually two laps before I really start hammering them So car that ended up dropping oil was long gone. But like I said there is no in between that car and me

No issues with grip through turns 345 or six .

Came up to the plateau at the top of the track breakpoint marker three maybe at 70 miles an hour Appllied brakes ....lost complete control the car Veered right and slowed the car down finally I knew right away I was in oil at that point I think I was probably up at break marker 1 1/2 or one looked over at the Flagger He was out past his station approximately 5 feet walking back to his station I try to get his attention pointing down to the ground unfortunately he was walking back to the station .
he had no flag in his hand And I’m taking a big assumption here I was thinking maybe he was going back to radio in or grab a flag as you saw something on the track prior to me getting to the corner

proceeded down turns 89 and 10 and pulled into the hot pits And stopped at the track Marshall station to informed him that there was oil at the top of the track all the way down through turn 10.
Informed the track Marshall of a flagger being outside his station Which I thought was odd.

Knowing what we know now which is still not a lot I personally believe the flagger saw something on track between the car dropping oil in my car at that point I have no idea what happened.

And the boys who came up behind me no doubt were running at full bore
With that much oil on track there would be no way of not crashing.

things happened so quick in the time the Flagger noted the track condition and the first wreck I’m not sure even if there was a flagger at station seven it would’ve helped.

Thank you for the firsthand account. The question remains why the T8 corner worker decided to leave his station and put himself in a vulnerable position.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:29 PM
Jcolombotos
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed

Its just such a horrible Outcome

Interesting when I was talking to the track Marshall he asked the location of the oil told him top of turn eight all the way through 10 into the hot pits Where the car that was in front of me on track was being sprayed with a fire extinguisher.

He made no comments like yeah we heard ....already close down the track or anything of that nature

making an assumption here .....Marshall had already shut down the track I just don’t recall seeing a black a red flag up start finish when I pulled up to start finish. To be clear there may have been a flag at start finish I just didn’t see one

I can honestly say there was not a flag at turn nine when I was on track

Old 10-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

This is a terrible tragedy. Thoughts and prayers for the corner worker's family.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:39 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Hey Steve, this is the link I used to donate....

That link worked. Thanks for posting it.

So sad.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:09 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcolombotos
Agreed

Its just such a horrible Outcome

Interesting when I was talking to the track Marshall he asked the location of the oil told him top of turn eight all the way through 10 into the hot pits Where the car that was in front of me on track was being sprayed with a fire extinguisher.

He made no comments like yeah we heard ....already close down the track or anything of that nature

making an assumption here .....Marshall had already shut down the track I just don’t recall seeing a black a red flag up start finish when I pulled up to start finish. To be clear there may have been a flag at start finish I just didn’t see one

I can honestly say there was not a flag at turn nine when I was on track

Thanks for the info Jim.. I'm assuming you were in the chalk gt3?

I don't think this is over for the car/owner that spilled the oil., nor should it be.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
Thanks for the info Jim.. I'm assuming you were in the chalk gt3?

I don't think this is over for the car/owner that spilled the oil., nor should it be.
It depends on the specifics of this case, but in my experience most fluid spills by cars were preventable. In a recent case at an event I attended, a driver in the top run group overfilled his oil, which resulted in a huge cloud on track which caused no visibility on track, resulting in three cars hitting each other and some expensive damage (the car with overfilled oil was unscathed, and I don't think he offered to cover any repair costs incurred by the other drivers).
Old 10-16-2018, 02:43 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would like to thank all of those who have reached out to me via PM and through this thread in regards to making a donation to the family.

We will continue to run the campaign through Sunday. We will then make sure that the money is quickly moved to the family. We will work that through WeatherTech Laguna Seca and SCRAMP.

If you would like to donate you can do so at the links below:

www.cfra.net/web/ (click on the "Donate" button)

Kind regards,
VID
Old 10-16-2018, 03:38 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank you for the link and for the opportunity to give something back.
I always wave to them on cool down laps and am grateful when they wave back. It's often the only "communication" I have with them. When I see a worker during the lunch break I offer to buy. Not once has anyone taken me up on the offer. They seem so grateful to be there and I am thankful that they are.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:50 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
It depends on the specifics of this case, but in my experience most fluid spills by cars were preventable. In a recent case at an event I attended, a driver in the top run group overfilled his oil, which resulted in a huge cloud on track which caused no visibility on track, resulting in three cars hitting each other and some expensive damage (the car with overfilled oil was unscathed, and I don't think he offered to cover any repair costs incurred by the other drivers).
It seems that he was told he had a leak earlier by a participant and still went on track (doesn't seem to be reported to track organizer). That particular car seems to have mechanical issues in the past (it's a small community and people usually know this type of stuff about each other).

I'm certainly aware that even the latest model cars can have leaks (i had a coolant leak on a brand new car on track). However, the older cars seem to be the ones leaking the most (video i posted earlier from sonoma and this particular incident all within a couple of weeks of each other)...

I'm going to have to start making some noise with organizers that maybe "self tech" and honor system isn't good enough for HPDE track days.

Quick Reply: Massive crash at Laguna tody?