Sponsored by:

High mile Cayman as track car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 05:30 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts
Default High mile Cayman as track car?

2010 Cayman S, 6MT with 130k on the clock. Seller asking $20k. Appears to have been street-driven only. I am waiting for maintenance history.

I am all over the place trying to figure out my next track car (944, 968, Cayman/Boxster, M3s, etc). Only looking to DE at this point.

Not too many examples of DFI cars with this many miles, but, given I would probably only add a couple thousand miles/year anyway, wondering what people think of a car like this as starting point for a track car?
I'd probably just refresh/upgrade the suspension, add seat/bar/harness, pads and some R-comps and go play.

Thoughts?

Old 10-09-2018, 05:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Do it. If it's well maintained, it should be fine. And it is the best platform and the best value for a track car, IMO.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-09-2018, 06:28 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Do it. I did the same thing with a slightly newer Cayman with a few less miles a couple years ago. Haven't looked back since. Love tracking it. Love it!!

Peter is spot on. As long as it's been well maintained and hasn't been tracked, that mid engine platform is awesome, and I think you can get that $20K down a few bucks as well because of the mileage.

A PPI and some maintenance history are a must, but if that all checks out.....

Agree with the Coach. Do it!! Good luck...
Old 10-09-2018, 07:12 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The DFI (09 and later) engine is very tough. I wouldn't worry about mileage
Old 10-10-2018, 05:16 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 491 Posts

It’s sometimes a lot better to deal with a higher mileage car that has been maintained than a low mileage car that just sat around. Check for over-revs and leak down. The 2010 had the upgraded oil pump from the 2009.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were and are some issues with DFI causing premature cylinder wear due to the direct injection spraying the fuel into the cylinders and washing away the oil from the cylinder walls. Check to see if the injectors were ever changed. Bore scope the cylinders to verify there isn't a problem.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:33 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks all. I got a lead on a local car... 2010 Cayman S, PDK with cooler, suspension, rear cage, seats/harnesses, etc. Awaiting all details. Twice the money but 1/4 of the miles. I figure even the high mile car is going to need $10k in parts/labor to be track ready so maybe a $10k spread by the time its all said and done. I think I'm going to explore this one first.

Brian- I have heard about that. Worth investigating in a PPI.

Sounds like people really like the Cayman platform for a track car. Also looked at a 2004 GT3 (I have previously owned 3 of them) and I LOVE that car but not sure my pockets are deep enough to run one these days.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:01 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by tlarocque
Thanks all. I got a lead on a local car... 2010 Cayman S, PDK with cooler, suspension, rear cage, seats/harnesses, etc. Awaiting all details. Twice the money but 1/4 of the miles. I figure even the high mile car is going to need $10k in parts/labor to be track ready so maybe a $10k spread by the time its all said and done. I think I'm going to explore this one first.

Brian- I have heard about that. Worth investigating in a PPI.
A PPI is a must regardless of which car you buy. The 2010 S sounds promising. You'll love the platform. Good luck...

Quick Reply: High mile Cayman as track car?