Sponsored by:

Close Call - GT3RS chasing down a GT3 @ Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 12:10 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I see you have the apex pro.. Can you describe how that works and how you like it? I was thinking about buying one.
Have only used for 2 events so far as I also just received it as well but here is my opinion of it.

To begin with it is impossible to watch while you are driving since you are paying to much attention to the road and other drivers.

Where I do find it helpful is when watching my videos I can see which turns I can take a little faster and which I am already at full lateral grip.

It also does provide a bit of data on your phone, but I don't use that feature since I have my Aim Solo DL for data, but if I did not have that I would probably enjoy looking at the data.

Overall happy with the purchase and will continue to use it.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:36 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345
Have only used for 2 events so far as I also just received it as well but here is my opinion of it.

To begin with it is impossible to watch while you are driving since you are paying to much attention to the road and other drivers.

Where I do find it helpful is when watching my videos I can see which turns I can take a little faster and which I am already at full lateral grip.

It also does provide a bit of data on your phone, but I don't use that feature since I have my Aim Solo DL for data, but if I did not have that I would probably enjoy looking at the data.

Overall happy with the purchase and will continue to use it.
Nice review. Regarding "impossible to watch while driving" - even in your peripheral vision just seeing more red doesn't help?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:10 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlanka
Nice review. Regarding "impossible to watch while driving" - even in your peripheral vision just seeing more red doesn't help?
It moves around to much when you are driving so would be hard to see especially when it is only one or two red dots.

I originally bought it for Willow Springs and turn 2 is a long sweeping right turn, so I thought for sure I could peak at it while driving but not really.

I would compare it to the Aim Solo, there might be certain parts of the track you can peak at it to see your +/- lap times but would never consider looking at it in a turn or around traffic, but on a straight away not as much an issue.

Apex Pro also lets you know if you are breaking to early or not enough and I can't see myself staring at it during those hard breaking times, rather keep my eyes on the road.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't see your right leg moving. Do you cover the brake with your left foot?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 AM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I didn't see your right leg moving. Do you cover the brake with your left foot?
Good eye, yes I am left foot braking.

Last edited by GT345; 10-11-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Good eye, yes I am left foot breaking.
Or braking
Old 10-11-2018, 01:29 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Or braking
Thank you!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Having never driven out west all I keep thinking is "look at all that runoff!"
The following users liked this post:
WillyDaP (06-26-2023)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Good eye, yes I am left foot braking.
I find that it makes the transitions during trail braking much smoother allowing the contact patches on the pavement to better do their jobs. I also find it helpful in turbo cars to bring boost up while still braking as well as to tuck the nose in longer corners if the car starts to push wide.

Not all drivers do it. I was surprised to see that Fernando Alonso did not, at least not in a street car in the videos I have seen. Rubens Barrichello did not either in the F1 car. As I recall he burned too much fuel driving it that way.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:28 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Having never driven out west all I keep thinking is "look at all that runoff!"
Funny I usually think the opposite when I see east coast tracks... OMG that wall never ends!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Great driving.

That track seems to be very long, I saw very few flaggers.
Were there a fewer amount than normal?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Great driving.

That track seems to be very long, I saw very few flaggers.
Were there a fewer amount than normal?
Good question and surprised I did not notice that because they usually have electronic flagging with different led boards around the track but I did not see them on as I have in the past.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:21 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I find that it makes the transitions during trail braking much smoother allowing the contact patches on the pavement to better do their jobs. I also find it helpful in turbo cars to bring boost up while still braking as well as to tuck the nose in longer corners if the car starts to push wide.

Not all drivers do it. I was surprised to see that Fernando Alonso did not, at least not in a street car in the videos I have seen. Rubens Barrichello did not either in the F1 car. As I recall he burned too much fuel driving it that way.
Rubens was a right foot braker even in the F1 car because he felt more comfortable with that. That stupid piece of trivia always stuck with me because there was always discussion back in the day about driving styles between him and Schumacher
Old 10-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Racingswh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by multi21

Rubens was a right foot braker even in the F1 car because he felt more comfortable with that. That stupid piece of trivia always stuck with me because there was always discussion back in the day about driving styles between him and Schumacher
I really like the way the OP drives and was not surprised to see him left foot braking. He seems calm, doesn't use a lot of unnecessary motion in the car or with the wheel, looks to have good vision, keeps the car quiet and maintains good momentum. I feel LFB reduces the time it takes to go back to throttle and has other benefits as well.

My reference to other Driver's was intended to show that it's not the only way and, even though in my personal experience I don't touch the brake with my right foot in a paddle shifted car on track, plenty of Driver's are extremely quick using their right foot to cover the brake.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

I left foot brake almost exclusively in any two pedal car

Quick Reply: Close Call - GT3RS chasing down a GT3 @ Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch