Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Suit System Set Up Cheat Sheet? And a shirt question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cool Suit System Set Up Cheat Sheet? And a shirt question.

Anyone have a "quick and dirty" how to bullet points list I can use?

Also are Traqgear shirts really worth the extra coin?
And what do you think is the next best option?
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Not sure what you're asking, but the traqgear shirts are awesome. Highly recommend them.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:36 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

In the past, some of the controllers were not robust with incorrect termination. If you accidentally switched ground and positive leads, you would instantly fry the controller. I fried one of the Cool Shirt controllers this way years ago, and decided not to bu a replacement. The part that fired was a cheap transistor, but I decided not to deal with it. My application does not include sessions or races longer than ~40 minutes, so a simple on/off switch is just fine. They may have changed their design-- my unit was from about 2006 or so.

Most if not all cool shirt type products use connectors with o-rings. I have had several leaks due to damaged o-rings through the years, so I always carry a few extras, and I make an effort to make sure the rings are wet when I connect.

I have found that it is really helpful to store my Cool Shirt only after clearing out the water. That way, it is less likely the tubes will get clogged from gunk/fungus, et cetera.

I have not tried one of the Traqgear shirts with tubes, but I did try one of their other shirts last season

Ripped to shreds when I removed it after the second wearing.

They did not stand behind it, so I don't recommend that company. I am sure some of their products are okay, maybe even great, but my experience was very poor.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:32 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

Ayesha,
Are you looking for just the water cooling or air cooling set up too?
Do you have anything in the car?

For the water cooling/shirt system, the simple set up is cooler box with mount tray, hose and shirt. Honestly we don't sell many controllers because IMO when you're really on it (especially here in the South), you just leave it running on the whole time you're on track.Put a simple switch on your dash for the on/off and you're good to go. Or obviously you can use the controller for the on/off switching.

Give me a call and I can help you out with it and discuss the Traqgear shirts too. We carry them too.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-08-2018, 09:35 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
In the past, some of the controllers were not robust with incorrect termination. If you accidentally switched ground and positive leads, you would instantly fry the controller. I fried one of the Cool Shirt controllers this way years ago, and decided not to bu a replacement. The part that fired was a cheap transistor, but I decided not to deal with it. My application does not include sessions or races longer than ~40 minutes, so a simple on/off switch is just fine. They may have changed their design-- my unit was from about 2006 or so.

Most if not all cool shirt type products use connectors with o-rings. I have had several leaks due to damaged o-rings through the years, so I always carry a few extras, and I make an effort to make sure the rings are wet when I connect.

I have found that it is really helpful to store my Cool Shirt only after clearing out the water. That way, it is less likely the tubes will get clogged from gunk/fungus, et cetera.

I have not tried one of the Traqgear shirts with tubes, but I did try one of their other shirts last season

Ripped to shreds when I removed it after the second wearing.

They did not stand behind it, so I don't recommend that company. I am sure some of their products are okay, maybe even great, but my experience was very poor.
i don’t have the TraqGear cool shirt, but I use their longjohns and love them. I had an issue with one set of bottoms and they stood behind the product.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:04 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Don't bother with the controller , most of the people i know that use them had a failure at one point, just install
an on/off switch and you're good to go.
Another item that is good to keep as a spare is a pump ... i use a simple RULE brand marine bilge pump
that costs less than $50.00

One more thing i noticed, is that for whatever reason my cotton short sleeve cool shirt weighs more
than the latest long sleeve SFI cool shirt i got ... go figure !
Old 10-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks much for the input, everyone.
Appreciate the caution re controller and the cool-shirt info & tips. While I know there are folks out there who can buy multiple cool shirts a year, I'm not one of them, and durability is important to me.

Bob, thanks for offering to help: my car has the cool suit box built-in and has tubing and an on off switch so that leaves me needing a spare motor and gobs of O rings and (the biggest challenge!) to find a shirt that fits.

Pm me your contact and I'll ring.
A.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:21 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

PM sent

Last edited by NaroEscape; 10-11-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:46 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Love my traqgear shirt. No tubes on the shoulders so it's much more comfortable with a HANS.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:18 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Any idea what size the o rings are?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Love our Traqgear shirts. Going on our second year and are holding up great, and the owner was very helpful. Can't say enough good things about the product or the owner. We just switch it on and off as needed since we often run back to back because of our run groups. We usually fill Gatorade bottles 90% full and freeze them at night in the hotel room for reuse the second or third day. Also keep 3-4 spares in the cooler as replacements. Never buy ice, just add some water to the box and you're good to go. Add the additive to the water to keep the funk at bay and get the connectors to drain the shirt after use.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 PM
mobius911
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

The cooler size may matter depending on the length of your stints and ambient temperature. For example, two hour stints at Thunderhill in July (108F) requires the larger (largest) size cooler to avoid running out of ice.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:13 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I found that the TraqGear shirt did not cool as well as my original Coolshirt shirt. I did some measurements and found the flow rate through the TraqGear shirt to be about half the flow rate as through the Coolshirt shirt. So now I take both shirts and use the Coolshirt shirt if it’s really hot.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:21 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by M_Weining
I found that the TraqGear shirt did not cool as well as my original Coolshirt shirt. I did some measurements and found the flow rate through the TraqGear shirt to be about half the flow rate as through the Coolshirt shirt. So now I take both shirts and use the Coolshirt shirt if it’s really hot.
Thats interesting because Coolshirt installs the tubing and sews the same tubing on the TraqGear shirts as they do on their own! The only difference is the fabric materials.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Well of course Coolshirt may have changed designs and/or suppliers as they have been around for a long time.

Again, my system is from about 2006. I bought some extra connectors from the company as it was comprised then. The o-rings that my connectors use are 7/16 x 5/16 x 1/16, and according to the package are #6 o-rings. Again, these may be different for different connectors.

My wife and I each have Coolshirts, and they are in fine shape after about a decade of use. The 100% cotton version. We have only used them on super hot days, or in my case, for sprint races where ambient is 70 degrees of more. I find that the Coolshirt helps mitigate the various physical and cognitive effects of heat/stress as intended.

Glad to hear of folks great experiences with Traqgear and their products.

I bought one of their lightweight shirts (not one for cooling-- one for added protection from fire) from a well-known safety equipment company that participates here in these forums. One that I have bought a few items from in the past few years.

The third or fourth time I wore it, it tore to shreds when I took it off.

I contacted the Traqgear company, explained my experience and sent them pictures of my torn shirt.

I was told that there were at least two production batches, one with instructions and one without, and that I must have gotten one without the instructions. That seemed strange to me.

The instructions apparently said that due to the lightweight material, you should remove the shirt like you would an athletic shirt, for example those made out of materials that wick. I have several of those shirts, have had for 10+ years, and none of them has ever ripped to shreds.

The Traqgear rep extended me a coupon code for 20% off some other item, but since I paid 20% off for the shirt I bought, there was no net compensation for my poor experience.

I still have the shirt, but it is of no use since it is ripped.

Again, I am glad that folks have had better experiences.

Quick Reply: Cool Suit System Set Up Cheat Sheet? And a shirt question.