Here we GO...........

Gary
......just set a PB @ Mosport on 5-DAY-old RE71Rs...properly stored
Old 10-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zzyzx
I have a question on using tires that are several years old, but have been properly stored. Is there any degradation of the rubber in, say, a 5 year old slick that's been properly stored out of the sun?
2 years ago, I was on track on 4 year old Michelins, the tires had over 70% tread left, car had been stored indoors most of it's life. Right rear sepearated on track on an 85 mph left hander. Car over rotated ..... to say the least.....
Last year I ordered a set of tires online (not from Tire Rack or Discount Tire) and the brand new set had a 2.5 year old date code. Called the seller, was assured that they were brand new, stored in a heated and air conditioned warehouse, blah, blah, blah. Mounted them, went to an HPDE. They were slippery as snot; worse than the heat cycled, worn out tires that they were supposed to replace. Promptly removed them and shipped them back. I got a full refund through the Buyers Guarantee on the website.

A guy in our region who is a very good driver tried a borrowed set of 3 year old "propery stored" tires from a friend during a private track day. One tire let go on the exit of the only corner that has a concrete wall. $18,000.00 worth of damage to his new, less than 4 month old $100K Spyder. When he was telling me the story, I stopped him as soon as he said he borrowed his friend's set of tires and said, "I already know where this is going, how much damage?"

Never trust old rubber on the track.

Tires are cheap compared to the potential damage or cost to you when they fail.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I also have several pairs of nomex underwear that have heat cycled out. I can send them your way.
i could use some socks if you have any that can be acid washed first. as seinfeld says, i your "boys" have been there, so that wont work.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Fixed for hilarity(?)
you mean like your local K1 racing kart track? ewwwww
Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
2 years ago, I was on track on 4 year old Michelins, the tires had over 70% tread left, car had been stored indoors most of it's life. Right rear separated on track on an 85 mph left hander. Car over rotated ..... to say the least.....
Last year I ordered a set of tires online (not from Tire Rack or Discount Tire) and the brand new set had a 2.5 year old date code. Called the seller, was assured that they were brand new, stored in a heated and air conditioned warehouse, blah, blah, blah. Mounted them, went to an HPDE. They were slippery as snot; worse than the heat cycled, worn out tires that they were supposed to replace. Promptly removed them and shipped them back. I got a full refund through the Buyers Guarantee on the website.

A guy in our region who is a very good driver tried a borrowed set of 3 year old "propery stored" tires from a friend during a private track day. One tire let go on the exit of the only corner that has a concrete wall. $18,000.00 worth of damage to his new, less than 4 month old $100K Spyder. When he was telling me the story, I stopped him as soon as he said he borrowed his friend's set of tires and said, "I already know where this is going, how much damage?"

Never trust old rubber on the track.

Tires are cheap compared to the potential damage or cost to you when they fail.
wow, 20 years of using used tires, never had any of these issues. One thing to note, if a tire sat on a car for many years (as you described) that wouldnt fly with me. i store tires , wrapped OFF a car, that i know or have maybe seen the user run them, know the times........and know the dismounter. A car sitting on a car for 5 years, maybe gone flat a few times and damaged the side walls....so many variables..Ive used hundreds of tires over the many years of racing. all used but one set in 2002. There is nothing inherently wrong with a tire that is from another car, if removed property and not showing any damage . 1 year, 5 years, it dosnt matter. i had a close friend that used a set of hoosiers 3 heat cycles and were quiting racing and gave them to me for the runoffs in 2014 laguna. it was my only problem. it went flat, and by the time i came into the pits, it was destroyed........ dont know what happened. but i saw the majority of laps that tire took... sometimes things happen with a remount. who knows. could have been too low of pressure, on opening lap and too aggressive warm up for qualifying. the point is. sure, better to be safe than sorry, but using a tire well stored, and not heat cycled out, should not be inherently dangerous or risky. however, there are factors that can make it risky. i used to find tires in the trash ..one time at Road America,..............they ended up being worse than the tires replaced like you saw...........never did that again.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:17 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
as seinfeld says, i your "boys" have been there, so that wont work.
Ha! Reminds me of "Blazing Saddles" when Mel Brooks looks at the redhead's.......chest and says "Hello boys......"

Gary

Old 10-04-2018, 09:28 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your replies.

This is a little off topic, but what's the model of Hankook tire that a lot of you guys use, the inexpensive one? Are they better supplied now?
Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Z214, usually the C51 compound
Old 10-04-2018, 10:36 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Just checked ebay. Those tires are expensive!

I've been running Federal RS-R's. $450 for a set of 285/18s. They're awesome on a cold day for a few laps, but it's hard to examine lap times and data because they get slower with each lap as they get heat in them.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:15 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
I've been running Federal RS-R's. $450 for a set of 285/18s. They're awesome on a cold day for a few laps, but it's hard to examine lap times and data because they get slower with each lap as they get heat in them.
Those are my favorite tires for autocross and enjoying the mountain roads. Done a few track days with 20 minute sessions on them and never had any real issues.

I wouldn't call them a racing tires, but they're definitely a step above ultra high performance tires. The level of performance they deliver for the price is almost impossible to beat. Last set I bought cost me $420 with free shipping through Amazon.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
i could use some socks if you have any that can be acid washed first. as seinfeld says, i your "boys" have been there, so that wont work.
haha Mark. They’re yours!
Old 10-05-2018, 05:19 AM
wanna911
Race Car

They might work for a VERY short period of time but they will deteriorate and fail at 5x the rate which is already not a long time for race tires. I bought some sticker A6's from a friend because I wanted to try a new size and all of my stock were different. They were from 2013. Took about 12 laps before they started blistering, warping and vibrating. Had a couple more laps before they would have blown. Hoosiers (at least the A6) were some of the most durable tires I've even driven. They may have heat cycled out, but they were some well put together tires. You also aren't going to get the grip from them.

I have some 2017 A7's I'm starting to get nervous about. Need to use or sell. Car has been down for almost a year.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:48 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark- good morning- What brand of PVC / Saran Wrap? How old is it and how thick? . Is it 24" , 18" or 12" roll?. Do you prefer Seal Wrap brand? . Do you get it in the 2000' rolls?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Mark- good morning- What brand of PVC / Saran Wrap? How old is it and how thick? . Is it 24" , 18" or 12" roll?. Do you prefer Seal Wrap brand? . Do you get it in the 2000' rolls?
I have been using the 12" 400sqft glad cling wrap. but the key think is to use it like you are stretching over fruit. it has to be near air tight over the tire. and you also need to wrap it a few times. (i do 2 min). you know it works when a year goes by and the tire is different shade of black, in any area that wasnt in contact with the wrap. by doing this, i think it is a time capsul, freezing age for the tire tread rubber

Again, i did this with Galati's RS6 RA1s (2 heat cycles) from a 2004 event and used these tires for an event in 2010 and ran some of my top times, especially with a tire like an RA1, that is always about 1 second below hoosier times. This 5-6 year old tire shouldnt be confused with someone with tires on a car, sitting in a corner of a garage, or in some parking lot outside.

Quick Reply: New old tires