Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 10:49 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Congrats!! Great win!! Fun to watch!!!
Originally Posted by Apex996
Congrats John! You and Mark put on a clinic this week in T2.
Unfortunately that probably means my "new" T2 996 will now need more weight next year .. oh well.
Thanks, really appreciate it. I really had to work for this one bc Mark was ready to capitalize on any mistake, but fortunately, I didn’t make any big ones. Sonoma is a great track and where I got my SCCA license back when the Russell school was still going. Fun to come back and go flag to flag.

Regarding the weight, this was the ideal track for Porsche’s when compared to the other cars, where as VIR will be a much different story next year. Oh well, that’s club racing. Happy to be flying the Porsche flag at the end of the day!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Congrats! See you at VIR!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:53 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm so happy to put my 5th Runoffs in a row is behind me. It was the most painful worst 2 races I have ever had period. I had more fun at Indy Runoffs chasing cars then having my motor blow up. At Sonoma My car was unusually slow and lack grip all week. Both T1 and T2 were at the same time of day and both days ambient temp were near the same. I started on new tires in both races and exactly 30 miles into the race I would get this massive rubber pick-up in T5 and T9 and I was on the standard line and my car would feel like I was doing 4 wheel drifts pitching all over the place. It was so undriveable in T1 I quit the racing thinking there must be something wrong, a broken swaybar link or something. The car was fine. In T2 I finished the race but I could have lapped faster in my diesel pickup truck! I had to tiptoe though 10 to stay off that wall and brake super early for T11. Aggressively turning out of T11 & T7 were my tire cleaning turns. It was painful! WFT! I have never experienced anything like that.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I'm so happy to put my 5th Runoffs in a row is behind me. It was the most painful worst 2 races I have ever had period. I had more fun at Indy Runoffs chasing cars then having my motor blow up. At Sonoma My car was unusually slow and lack grip all week. Both T1 and T2 were at the same time of day and both days ambient temp were near the same. I started on new tires in both races and exactly 30 miles into the race I would get this massive rubber pick-up in T5 and T9 and I was on the standard line and my car would feel like I was doing 4 wheel drifts pitching all over the place. It was so undriveable in T1 I quit the racing thinking there must be something wrong, a broken swaybar link or something. The car was fine. In T2 I finished the race but I could have lapped faster in my diesel pickup truck! I had to tiptoe though 10 to stay off that wall and brake super early for T11. Aggressively turning out of T11 & T7 were my tire cleaning turns. It was painful! WFT! I have never experienced anything like that.
really sorry to hear that .... and also sorry i didnt get a chance to say hello. i was up the hill in the upper garages and only got stuck in tech one long time.

That is really odd.. our cars are similar in many ways, and i know, even when its a complete mess, i can put on good tires and at least have fun. can you give me a link of your video, or send me a drop box link to see it? maybe there is something i can see. too much pressure? i know you have a lot of weight, but ive taking folks for rides in my car many times and only cost me a second or two.
do you change the weight between T1 and T2? I forgot , you have the C4 Zo6 405hp model, no?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:29 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SM#80
Coming from the Midwest and having raced against Andrew A a number of times, I was very impressed by Kip in the GT2 race. The same with Olson in the T1 race. Those NSX’s were quick.

I’m out here racing in T2 in a 2003 Porsche CS. Qualified on pole by 0.2 seconds. Should be a fun race.
Congrats on your win! I don't know much about T2 - it looks like your car is a 3.6L C2 996 non GT3? Does the car get modifications like a dog bog, etc or is it more stock? Curious what a car like yours would weigh as well.
Cheers
Mark

Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 AM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Default SCCA T2 GCR

>> I don't know much about T2

See SCCA GCR info below

In case you can't read it, here are the notes from the 996 GCR entry above:

Ducting for coolers is free, provided it doesn’t change size and/or shape of factory body panels.
Springs up to 800#/in front and 1000 #/in rear allowed.
Ducting of air to rotors is allowed. Tender springs 60-60-25, and spring holders ZT-1-X002A01 allowed.
Removal of rotor dust shields is allowed.
Sway bar size and configuration is free
Spoilers & bumper/ airdams are free provided they do not exceed the max. body width by any amount and/ or the max. body length by more than 1”.
Rear wings may be no higher than the roofline.
Camber adjustment slots may be elongated.
Porsche Motorsport front and rear control arms allowed.
Cold air intake allowed.

There are far more mods allowed to all car in T2. If you are interested in the full set of rules, you can DL the latest GCR here and navigate to the T2 section on page 625.
Porsche spec lines start on pg 639. There are 8 spec lines covering all 996/997 and the 3.4L Caymans. The 3.6-3.8L Caymans run in T1.

https://www.scca.com/pages/cars-and-rules
https://www.scca.com/downloads/42451-gcr-october-2018

Old 10-23-2018, 09:32 AM
Apex996
Pro

More notes on T2 for those interested....

SCCA T2
3.4L / 3.6L (update/backdate '98-'05) 3050lbs

Chassis/Suspension
- 18 x 8.5" x 11" wheels, 255/315 tires
- A maximum of 3.0 degrees of negative chamber is allowed. Camber adjustment slots may be elongated.
- minimum ride height is 3.75” inches measured at lowest part of rocker not including seam.
- Ride height to be measured without driver at the lowest point of the rocker, but not to include welded seams or fasteners.
- Spherical bearings/bushings are not permitted in T2-T4 except for adjustable toe links (996 allowed PMNA Control arms)
- All T2 cars are allowed to replace OEM upper and lower control arm bushings with polyurethane or delrin bushings.
- Porsche Motorsport front and rear control arms allowed (note this says Motorsport, not just GT3)
- Spoilers & bumper/air dams are free provided they do not exceed max. body width at all or the max. body length by more than 1” (Aerokit / GT3 bumper ok)
- Rear wings may be no higher than the roofline.
- Air jacks are permitted
- Ballast may be added as required, to meet weight, provided it is securely mounted within the bodywork and serves no other purpose.
- Batteries must be of similar amp/hour capacity , size and within 10% of OEM weight
- Stock replacement brake rotors, provided they are the exact equivalent of the stock rotors.

Engine/Drivetrain
- Blueprinting and balancing is allowed
- .010" overbore is ok w/ a 20 lb penalty
- Any oil cooler(s) is permitted
- may replace the catalytic converter(s) with a pipe of same diameter inlet and outlet as the converter it is replacing.
- it is permitted to modify the stock header only to replace the catalytic converter
- may replace any part of the exhaust system beyond the catalytic converter
- The engine management computer or ECU may be altered within the original housing.
- air conditioning system may be removed
- Any transmission cooler(s) is permitted
- permitted a limited-slip differential
- Any clutch disc and pressure plate of OEM diameter may be used
- A dual mass flywheel may change to a single mass flywheel that is no lighter than 5% of OEM weight.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:38 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Good to know, thanks for the cliff notes!
Old 10-25-2018, 02:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

More notes on T2 for those interested....

SCCA T2
3.4L / 3.6L (update/backdate '98-'05) 3050lbs

Chassis/Suspension
- 18 x 8.5" x 11" wheels, 255/315 tires
- A maximum of 3.0 degrees of negative chamber is allowed. Camber adjustment slots may be elongated.
- minimum ride height is 3.75” inches measured at lowest part of rocker not including seam.
- Ride height to be measured without driver at the lowest point of the rocker, but not to include welded seams or fasteners.
- Spherical bearings/bushings are not permitted in T2-T4 except for adjustable toe links (996 allowed PMNA Control arms)
- All T2 cars are allowed to replace OEM upper and lower control arm bushings with polyurethane or delrin bushings.
- Porsche Motorsport front and rear control arms allowed (note this says Motorsport, not just GT3)
- Spoilers & bumper/air dams are free provided they do not exceed max. body width at all or the max. body length by more than 1” (Aerokit / GT3 bumper ok)
- Rear wings may be no higher than the roofline.
- Air jacks are permitted
- Ballast may be added as required, to meet weight, provided it is securely mounted within the bodywork and serves no other purpose.
- Batteries must be of similar amp/hour capacity , size and within 10% of OEM weight
- Stock replacement brake rotors, provided they are the exact equivalent of the stock rotors.

Engine/Drivetrain
- Blueprinting and balancing is allowed
- .010" overbore is ok w/ a 20 lb penalty
- Any oil cooler(s) is permitted
- may replace the catalytic converter(s) with a pipe of same diameter inlet and outlet as the converter it is replacing.
- it is permitted to modify the stock header only to replace the catalytic converter
- may replace any part of the exhaust system beyond the catalytic converter
- The engine management computer or ECU may be altered within the original housing.
- air conditioning system may be removed
- Any transmission cooler(s) is permitted
- permitted a limited-slip differential
- Any clutch disc and pressure plate of OEM diameter may be used
- A dual mass flywheel may change to a single mass flywheel that is no lighter than 5% of OEM weight.
looked like a fast package, but didnt the 2005 911 (997v1) come with the 3.8 liter , 355hp engine ? if not, what do the T2 911s make as far as rear wheel hp when you build to the limits of the spec. maybe, do they make their flywheel ratings, but at the wheels? or more?
thanks
Old 10-25-2018, 06:26 PM
Apex996
Pro

The 2006+ 997S has the 3.8L
That's the spec line in red above.
225 lbs more than the 996.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The 2006+ 997S has the 3.8L
That's the spec line in red above.
225 lbs more than the 996.
how much power can you get to the wheels with the rules for a 996-2 up to 2004?
Old 10-25-2018, 08:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is the video from the GT2 race

Old 10-25-2018, 09:38 PM
SM#80
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
how much power can you get to the wheels with the rules for a 996-2 up to 2004?
I think my car dyno’d around 290 whp on a Mustang dyno when it was originally built (car has been racing in the Fall-Line camp since 2011 or so).
Old 10-26-2018, 01:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SM#80

I think my car dyno’d around 290 whp on a Mustang dyno when it was originally built (car has been racing in the Fall-Line camp since 2011 or so).
Impressive times for 290rwhp and 3000lbs .... How did Boden's car stack up, after all, he has a 997-2 and the c5 and c6 vets? (still hard to believe they can class them in T2.. but i guess weight equalizes)
Old 10-26-2018, 02:03 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Mark....45mm/3225lb or 50mm/3525lb restrictor plus ballast does the equalization on the vettes

Quick Reply: Predictions for the SCCA National championship RunOffs Sonoma Raceway 2018