Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Stock Boxster Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:00 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Any reason not to run coolsuit hose through this hatch on drivers side in rear of frunk area?

It looks like rainwater could get to this area so I'll have to seal up the passthru, but the nice part is this leads directly to the drivers side where I want to tie up the hose (drivers side door cage).

Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM
will968
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Aircraft supply places usually cary quality switches and guards. This is what I use https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...eatonGuard.php

This is the switch commonly used in motorsports applications https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-Sealed-MilSpec-OFF-ON-Switch-MS24523-22-1TL1-2/321294782197?epid=1723682213&hash=item4acea94ef5:g:7QUAAOSwboVXO2~O:rk:8 f:0

Last edited by will968; 02-11-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:34 AM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Any reason not to run coolsuit hose through this hatch on drivers side in rear of frunk area?

It looks like rainwater could get to this area so I'll have to seal up the passthru, but the nice part is this leads directly to the drivers side where I want to tie up the hose (drivers side door cage).

I have seen other boxsters with the cool shirt tubes run through there. I avoided that area due to concerns of water intrusion right into the fuse box. I ran mine behind the battery, along the center tunnel.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:51 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I have seen other boxsters with the cool shirt tubes run through there. I avoided that area due to concerns of water intrusion right into the fuse box. I ran mine behind the battery, along the center tunnel.
There are two passhtroughs near the battery - one to the right of the battery (drivers side direction) that is round and currently has existing wires through it (and emerges above the gas pedal) and another larger oval directly behind the battery which I have never explored. Which pass through are you using?

Moreover, I prefer the hose to the drivers left, but I guess it could loop from the tunnel to around behind the drivers seat thereby missing the fuse area.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:42 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

If I do use the driver side hatch, I designed (and will 3D print) a bulkhead to be secured to the top of the hatch that will permit the cooling tubes to pass through tightly and through a raised vertical surface to mitigate any rainwater intrusion.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If I do use the driver side hatch, I designed (and will 3D print) a bulkhead to be secured to the top of the hatch that will permit the cooling tubes to pass through tightly and through a raised vertical surface to mitigate any rainwater intrusion.
Will your 3d printed bulkhead pass inspection? See rule pasted below concerning firewalls and openings:

9. All cars must be equipped with a metal firewall separating the driver compartment from any area exterior to the driver compartment below the level of the window bases (e.g., the engine compartment, the transmission compartment, the fuel tanks, exhausts, or just the ground under the car) capable of preventing the intrusion of fire, fluids, gasses, or debris into the driver compartment. All openings in the firewall, including those created by the allowed removal of stock components, must be closed with a metal cover mechanically fastened over the opening. Adhesives are not mechanical. The fuel sender opening in 924/944/968s must be covered with such a metal cover. Openings in firewalls for tubes and wires, if oversized, must be substantially closed with metal covers or commercial pass throughs, with any remaining small gaps and any holes no larger than 10 mm not closed with metal shall be plugged with high temperature sealants. Drain holes in the floor pan may be open when running in the rain.

Caymans may duct air from the quarter windows (where ducting from those windows is allowed) or from the passenger compartment to circular openings in the factory location in the far rear corners of the rear trunk for cooling of supplementary radiators or otherwise. Fans may be used to force air through these allowed openings.

Except as specified above, the requirement of metal does not apply to non-metallic parts which are stock, or to replacement of doors with composite doors where allowed by the class rules.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:38 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Good find. Noting the last sentence:
The hatch that the bulkhead will attach to is plastic (non-metal) and there should not be any gaps greater than a few mm (let alone 10).
Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Good find. Noting the last sentence:
The hatch that the bulkhead will attach to is plastic (non-metal) and there should not be any gaps greater than a few mm (let alone 10).
If you add your piece to the existing hatch you may be ok. I was thinking you were replacing the plastic piece with the printed piece, in which case it may not pass tech. When I was building my SPB, I would email Walt with questions, he was great about responding (although he didn't always tell me what I wanted to hear!).
Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Insulated hose finished:
Old 01-15-2019, 03:42 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

New rotors, pads, lines, flush, check...
Car back down to planet earth.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:50 PM
Larrypcar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New rotors, pads, lines, flush, check...
Car back down to planet earth.
Looks sweet, Good job
Old 01-19-2019, 06:57 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Just secured the DIN mount switch panel using a few 3D printed mounting blocks and a carbon fiber single DIN filler panel.

completed job (upper panel)

3D printed filler panel mounting blocks for DIN opening
Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lemming
If you add your piece to the existing hatch you may be ok. I was thinking you were replacing the plastic piece with the printed piece, in which case it may not pass tech. When I was building my SPB, I would email Walt with questions, he was great about responding (although he didn't always tell me what I wanted to hear!).
Cool suit hose custom bulkhead complete - see pic..That is a 3D printed bulkhead "wedge" attached to the factory plastic hatch.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:07 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

OMP HRC-R Air XL Fiberglass full halo seats installed.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:43 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

Have the same seat, Im 6'3" 190lbs. Great lateral shoulder support, big harness holes that are high enough and the XL fits in a Boxster no problem.

Quick Reply: F-Stock Boxster Build