0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Russian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:11 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Apology accepted. I think you need to distinguish my stance for a moment. I understand why they did, I know it has been done in the past and will be done in the future. Having said that as a viewer I don’t get up at 7:30am on a Sunday to watch drivers move over for their temmate. Lastly, completely personal to me, I thought Schumacher / Barrichello was genuine, did nor feel the same about Lewis, totally subjective perspective.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Does the team ALWAYS come first, as it always has and probably always will? Yes.

Did VB get hosed? Yes.

And I disagree that, while Lewis can be and has been a sac l'*****, he wasn't genuine and forthright with VB. He sang V's praises in the interviews, he took him up on the top step of the podium and he tried to give him the first-place trophy up there.

Suzuka in six days.....move on, quickly.

Gary
Old 10-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
Lastly, I don’t understand why people bring up a driver’s personality when discussing a race (especially when the driver in question didn’t exhibit any of the questionable personality traits, that he is accused of, on the day). Hamilton drove masterfully and was gracious to his teammate, who had to sacrifice a win. Why can’t it stop there? Both drivers were clearly bummed but both understand what’s at stake.
There are competing objectives and perspectives going on.

You have competitions for that particular race, driver's championship, and constructor's championship. On this day, the first was somewhat sacrificed for the second.

Regarding opinions on Hamilton, they depend on whether you look at his entire personal history (on and off the track), his history as a driver, his behavior during and after this particular race, etc. On this day, he behaved well, but in the past he's been a real d!ck, as when he tried to back up his team mate Rossberg, against team orders, in order to win the driver's championship. He's undeniably one of the best drivers, but sometimes (not always) sorely lacking as a sportsman and a person.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:25 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Can someone venture a guess as to why Max's lap times were worse after he pitted and put on Ultra softs? (I think they were Ultras)? Was it because he now had dirty air? Other reasons?
Old 10-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

You have competitions for that particular race, driver's championship, and constructor's championship. On this day, the first was somewhat sacrificed for the second.

Regarding opinions on Hamilton, they depend on whether you look at his entire personal history (on and off the track), his history as a driver, his behavior during and after this particular race, etc. On this day, he behaved well, but in the past he's been a real d!ck, as when he tried to back up his team mate Rossberg, against team orders, in order to win the driver's championship. He's undeniably one of the best drivers, but sometimes (not always) sorely lacking as a sportsman and a person.
Well said, I couldn't agree more.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:46 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Can someone venture a guess as to why Max's lap times were worse after he pitted and put on Ultra softs? (I think they were Ultras)? Was it because he now had dirty air? Other reasons?
I've not seen any discussion of it but it could be that they pushed for a lap and realized there weren't enough laps left to catch anyone and they just dialed back the engine to preserve it. Or they knew that the whole time and never pushed.

Red Bulls dream scenario would have been a late safety car allowing Max to grab a cheap pit stop onto a faster tire.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:48 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

max dialed it way down to save the engine as they realized they weren't going to be able to attack/pass Kimi. he basically cruised to the finish (and Ricardo did the same)
Old 10-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by agdamis
Apology accepted. I think you need to distinguish my stance for a moment. I understand why they did, I know it has been done in the past and will be done in the future. Having said that as a viewer I don’t get up at 7:30am on a Sunday to watch drivers move over for their temmate. Lastly, completely personal to me, I thought Schumacher / Barrichello was genuine, did nor feel the same about Lewis, totally subjective perspective.
I hear you and this is sometimes the unfortunate aspect of F1. However, I woke up fully expecting the team orders to come down after watching Bottas take the pole in qualifying ahead of Hamilton (and I said so the day before). Team MB is predictable in executing team strategy. For me, I woke up to watch (1) the start and the race to turn 2 (if there was going to be any drama, it would have occurred there), (2) what sort of challenge Vettel would mount from the P3 position (3) how Ferrari would execute their pit stop strategy (they have been dreadful at it this season, and frankly nailed it this time at Sochi), (4) I thought Verstappen's engine penalty had taken him out of the race and that we would make contact with another car trying to get through traffic (he didn't and drove spectacularly), and finally (5) how the young drivers would fair and how the tier 2 & 3 team would battle (frankly that's where you see real wheel-to-wheel action in F1 these days). Oh and what Alonso would complain about this time...

As fans of F1, we all want to watch flat out, all-out racing however there are circumstances that as fans we have to expect. MB team orders for Bottas to let Hamilton pass while they are 1-2 on grid with Hamilton leading in the driver's championship and Bottas not even in the picture was fully expected and thus wasn't disappointing when it happened. Five races to go, there's still so much to get up and watch. Vettel isn't out of it just yet...
Old 10-01-2018, 11:02 AM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

Agree. This also highlights the psychological profile of a #1 driver to a #2. Hamilton, Vettel, Max, Alonso have all gone against team orders when they were not favored in the team’s plans where as Bottas, Massa, Barachello and to a lesser extent, Kimi have always obeyed orders. To be a champion, you must have a certain “me first” mentality and deal with the consequences by the team later
Old 10-01-2018, 02:44 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
I hear you and this is sometimes the unfortunate aspect of F1. However, I woke up fully expecting the team orders to come down after watching Bottas take the pole in qualifying ahead of Hamilton (and I said so the day before). Team MB is predictable in executing team strategy. For me, I woke up to watch (1) the start and the race to turn 2 (if there was going to be any drama, it would have occurred there), (2) what sort of challenge Vettel would mount from the P3 position (3) how Ferrari would execute their pit stop strategy (they have been dreadful at it this season, and frankly nailed it this time at Sochi), (4) I thought Verstappen's engine penalty had taken him out of the race and that we would make contact with another car trying to get through traffic (he didn't and drove spectacularly), and finally (5) how the young drivers would fair and how the tier 2 & 3 team would battle (frankly that's where you see real wheel-to-wheel action in F1 these days). Oh and what Alonso would complain about this time...

As fans of F1, we all want to watch flat out, all-out racing however there are circumstances that as fans we have to expect. MB team orders for Bottas to let Hamilton pass while they are 1-2 on grid with Hamilton leading in the driver's championship and Bottas not even in the picture was fully expected and thus wasn't disappointing when it happened. Five races to go, there's still so much to get up and watch. Vettel isn't out of it just yet...
Now we are totally aligned, hell we can even watch the race together, I'll buy the coffee. I will even go as far as to say that if I were in Toto's shoes I may do the same. BUT! At what point do teams and Liberty Media need to consider that viewers are getting less inclined to wake up and watch a race where the concern is tire conservation, team orders.................

I find myself increasingly less inclined to watch F1 and much prefer IMSA. Young generation is getting into Formula E where their is a lot of manufacturer support and competition. I am not ready for Formula E yet but boy do I long for the days of Senna and even before, that was racing.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:07 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Too bad this gifting of the race win to Hamilton has overshadowed the great result by LeClerc.

He beat the Haas, Force India, and factory Renault teams! If Sauber depended on Ericsson to get the job done, they wouldn't have gotten any points. Wow, I can't wait to see him in that Ferrari next year!
That was the highlight of the race IMO, LeClerc's finishing position, followed by Max's drive from the back. The Sauber's appear to benefitting this year from the change in management and Alfa Romeo cash infusion. Maybe Kimi wasn't so silly after all by moving there for 2019, but that's not to say they will be a regular podium contender.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Now we are totally aligned, hell we can even watch the race together, I'll buy the coffee. I will even go as far as to say that if I were in Toto's shoes I may do the same. BUT! At what point do teams and Liberty Media need to consider that viewers are getting less inclined to wake up and watch a race where the concern is tire conservation, team orders.................

I find myself increasingly less inclined to watch F1 and much prefer IMSA. Young generation is getting into Formula E where their is a lot of manufacturer support and competition. I am not ready for Formula E yet but boy do I long for the days of Senna and even before, that was racing.
Agree, coffee it is!! I think you are spot on and Liberty Media is trying to address the lack of competition in F1 by limiting team budgets in 2021. This way the big money teams don’t have such an R&D and developmental advantage vs. smaller teams. Today Ferrari and MB are favored to win every race (Red Bull has kept them honest at times, with Ricciardo and Verstappen winning a few races but it’s largely been a Ferrari/MB show). I love watching IMSA but for different reasons, it’s cool for me to watch pros and semi pros race at tracks on which I do DE’s (VIR, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen etc). Plus it’s cool to be able to root for Porsche RSRs vs. Ferrari GTBs and Ford GTs! Formula E is the future but I’m not that into it yet.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:04 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

I find myself increasingly less inclined to watch F1 and much prefer IMSA.
Exactly. IMSA offers some entertaining racing. The race at Lime Rock this year with only the GTLM and GTD classes running was great.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:31 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't bother with Imsa much any more. It seems they bend over backwards to make sure everyone gets a trophy penalizing winners and giving concessions to teams that are behind. Creates a nonstop game of handicaps. A mid engine RSR shaped like a 911 puts an asterisk next to every win in my book. At least in F1 the best team/drivers combos are always in front. But you can't expect real racing consistently with no refueling. Not gonna happen with the tire conservation strategy. They need to strip the aero down, especially underneath the car. And bring back refueling, even if it's with jugs.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I don't bother with Imsa much any more. It seems they bend over backwards to make sure everyone gets a trophy penalizing winners and giving concessions to teams that are behind. Creates a nonstop game of handicaps. A mid engine RSR shaped like a 911 puts an asterisk next to every win in my book. At least in F1 the best team/drivers combos are always in front. But you can't expect real racing consistently with no refueling. Not gonna happen with the tire conservation strategy. They need to strip the aero down, especially underneath the car. And bring back refueling, even if it's with jugs.
Understood, but at least I can stay awake during an IMSA race.

Quick Reply: Russian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?