0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Russian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

MB qualified 1-2...it’s a silver arrow top grid! Bottas ahead is interesting however at MB, team strategy comes first and I expect to Bottas to make it interesting but ultimately yield to Hamilton on subtle team orders...the chance to increase the gap between Hamilton and Vettel in the driver’s championship is too tempting. In other news, what happened to Ferrari? Their cars seemed to lack the leader’s pace they showed in the earlier races...has MB closed the gap already? Hamilton for the win...unless Vettel crashes into him at turn 2 trying to make a pass...

Last edited by Akunob; 09-29-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Vipertag313
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Vettel has a good chance to pull what Bottas did last year with the big tow from P3
Old 09-30-2018, 09:51 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I get what happened here but if both drivers kind of hate it maybe it was the wrong call? When the winner doesn't celebrate the win ...
Old 09-30-2018, 10:09 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

What happened is F1 at its worst. Best car and driver on the track on a given day does not win. One can ramble on about how F1 is a team sport with two championships in play, one for driver and manufacturer, but as a spectator and fan I walk away from a race like that with an empty feeling. Sigh.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:38 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

If Hamilton was in a chasing position in the championship or maybe a closer point differential it'd feel a bit different, but today I really thought they had the luxury to not do this. Quite a buzzkill.

On another note, am I too naive to think Max could've just tried to run the softs to the end of the race, trying to defend w all he had? Worst case he would've been passed by the top 4 anyways, one of which he maybe had a marginal chance of catching with hypersofts which they didn't even put on?
Old 09-30-2018, 10:41 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erko1905
If Hamilton was in a chasing position in the championship or maybe a closer point differential it'd feel a bit different, but today I really thought they had the luxury to not do this. Quite a buzzkill.

On another note, am I too naive to think Max could've just tried to run the softs to the end of the race, trying to defend w all he had? Worst case he would've been passed by the top 4 anyways, one of which he maybe had a marginal chance of catching with hypersofts which they didn't even put on?
He has to run two compounds to comply with regulations.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I get what happened here but if both drivers kind of hate it maybe it was the wrong call? When the winner doesn't celebrate the win ...
Originally Posted by okie981
What happened is F1 at its worst. Best car and driver on the track on a given day does not win. One can ramble on about how F1 is a team sport with two championships in play, one for driver and manufacturer, but as a spectator and fan I walk away from a race like that with an empty feeling. Sigh.
Just awful. I had high hopes for this season but it's the same old crap over and over.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:55 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
He has to run two compounds to comply with regulations.
That explains it - I apologize for my ignorance.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:00 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erko1905
That explains it - I apologize for my ignorance.
No worries, F1 is one of the least intuitive sports I've ever gotten addicted to.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:06 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
You can certainly make the case that this was gut wrenching for Bottas but come on; Bottas is completely out of contention for the WDC, whereas if Hamilton has one DNF Vettel is right back in the hunt. MB wants to win both Championships so it has to make the logical decision to have Bottas give the position away.

One thing is for sure: had it been Ferrari in front at the start, the team would have had Kimi move over within the first 5 laps to allow Vettel through.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:57 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,279 Likes on 1,585 Posts

The only high point of the race was Max's drive. The rest was pretty much horse****.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

I disagree with most, I think MB’s strategy was both expected by every savvy F1 fan watching and absolutely the right call given how dangerous Vettel and Ferrari still are. With the driver’s championship mathetically not yet in the bag, MB HAS to favor a Hamilton win (critical for points) over a Bottas win (really just a moral victory). Bravo to Toto for making the gutsy, yet unpopular call...this is big money sports not backyard racing and team strategy comes first. Ferrari, Red Bull and Force India need to watch and learn how you win a championship! If there was one flaw, it was that apparently Bottas wasn’t informed of the expected team order ahead of the race however as a consumate professional, his post-game comments show that he totally understands the situation. Hamilton was equally very gracious and empathic to Bottas, (a total classy move)...and this explains why Hamilton/Bottas is currently the best driver pairing in F1 right now.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
I disagree with most, I think MB’s strategy was both expected by every savvy F1 fan watching and absolutely the right call given how dangerous Vettel and Ferrari still are. With the driver’s championship mathetically not yet in the bag, MB HAS to favor a Hamilton win (critical for points) over a Bottas win (really just a moral victory). Bravo to Toto for making the gutsy, yet unpopular call...this is big money sports not backyard racing and team strategy comes first. Ferrari, Red Bull and Force India need to watch and learn how you win a championship! If there was one flaw, it was that apparently Bottas wasn’t informed of the expected team order ahead of the race however as a consumate professional, his post-game comments show that he totally understands the situation. Hamilton was equally very gracious and empathic to Bottas, (a total classy move)...and this explains why Hamilton/Bottas is currently the best driver pairing in F1 right now.
This.....

But refueling would have helped. Hardly anyone was able to pass without having a vastly superior car (I.e. Red bulls charging through the field).

Old 09-30-2018, 05:39 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 203 Posts

In Finnish, the word "Bottas" means "bend over."
Old 09-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

For me, a pretty decent race overall.

I understand MB's decision and can't fault it. There would be big regrets at the end of the season if Hamilton had been told to give it back to Bottas, and Vettel wound up winning WDC by a few points (lots of things can still happen, WDC is by no means locked up yet). Plus, it looked to me like Hamilton was getting pretty close to Bottas anyway.

Would have been really interesting to see what would have happened if Verstappen had been able to stay out on the soft tires. Kind of surprising that Red Bull didn't seem to know how the car would do with super softs.

Quick Reply: Russian Grand Prix - Who Will Win?