Sponsored by:

NOLA "Go Fast" Driver Death

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 01:44 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
We have all witnessed the escalating horsepower arms race in recent years, but for track groups that cater to American Muscle Cars, the escalation has been particularly bothersome.
Its not only high HP. One student I had was in a beautiful E30 M3 and went headfirst into the tirewall on the outside of turn 7 at Road Atlanta. First lap out, he says "I am going to ease into it" and proceeds to plant the throttle exiting the turn, tank slapper, and cant recover. We were only going 20-30 mph by the time we hit, but I was still sore for about a week after. Only instructed friends or known drivers since then.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Yup, I had a Green student last week at Road Atlanta with a 770 HP Rausch Mustang, who said, “Let’s see what this baby will do.” He had two track days. We did 168 on the back straight and 35 through 10AB. Wouldn’t listen. Rejected instruction. Organizers wouldn’t respond because of an instructor shortage. I packed and left. The alarm bells were sounding.
Sounds like you made the right call.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:16 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

If your guts instincts are telling you to get out of the car and the folks running the event don't APPLAUD you for trusting your instincts, screw that organization. Instructors are valuable for their learned wisdom that is accumulated over time and when that pile of neurons is screaming "GET OUT OF THIS CAR" that instinct needs to be respected. I've done it once and the organizer of the event thanked me. Vote with your feet. Plenty of good groups to run with out there.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:23 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
If your guts instincts are telling you to get out of the car and the folks running the event don't APPLAUD you for trusting your instincts, screw that organization. Instructors are valuable for their learned wisdom that is accumulated over time and when that pile of neurons is screaming "GET OUT OF THIS CAR" that instinct needs to be respected. I've done it once and the organizer of the event thanked me. Vote with your feet. Plenty of good groups to run with out there.
Our local local PCA Chief Instructor makes it very clear that if FOR ANY reason you as an instructor feel uncomfortable to bring them in and tell him. He will then go out with that student himself and decide if it's just a personality conflict or if the driver needs to find another hobby. He's sent a few people (students) home who that just don't get it.

But again..way off topic here...though this IS Rennlist so what exactly is "on topic" in any given thread? lol

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-15-2018, 03:31 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Philement
What I'm personally saying is a near 25 g impact with basic safety equipment is survivable and I walked away with minor injuries. The $4,000 bill I got from the track hurt the most but hey I'm not dead so money well spent
since fighter pilots need a g suit in a jet for just 6g i find your 25 g statement unrealistic. this driver was an experienced racer with the fastest cts-v in the country at 1700 plus hp.going 200 mph was not a first for him. you may not like drag racing but for many its fantatstic and a very close knit family.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:25 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
since fighter pilots need a g suit in a jet for just 6g i find your 25 g statement unrealistic. this driver was an experienced racer with the fastest cts-v in the country at 1700 plus hp.going 200 mph was not a first for him. you may not like drag racing but for many its fantatstic and a very close knit family.
6G's in a jet is sustained for a period of time, 25G's is a sudden impact. People have survived 25G sudden impacts before.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

Mike, smart move to bail.

A guy I used to work with, a SEAL, taught me the 7 P's:

Proper
Previous
Planning
Prevents
Poor
Performance