Sponsored by:

NOLA "Go Fast" Driver Death

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 04:42 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
Too many rich guys showing up in GT3rs and other very expensive cars that can go very, very fast.
Nothing against PCA and the amazing events they put on, I've been very impressed with the lectures and briefings at the few HPDEs I've been to. But many of the novice driver attitudes are a bit off putting... I don't care if you own a GT3 and feel like you need to pass everyone on the straights, money doesn't buy skill.

I really enjoy the private club track days. People out there beating the crap out of Miatas and GT86s, driving them at 110% with no driver aids. That's where real skill is developed.

The Porsche learning center starts you off relatively small and steps you up to the faster cars. I wish all track events did this, rather than letting people with zero experience immediately start in a car capable of 200mph just because they own it.

Originally Posted by RossP
Road Atlanta is the same on the back straight.
That's one of the reasons why I dislike Road Atlanta. It can be dangerously fast depending on the group you're running with. I really enjoy the technical aspects of Atlanta Motorsports Park.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Terrible news. As I understand it the new record is 244 in an R8
Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 PM
Philement
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to lose one of our own doing what we all love and that's going fast in our cars. I've read some other forums and people feel the need to blame something. Lack of saftey equipment, lack of skill, poor track conditions, poor organization,...and the list goes on. Just because you can go 200+ doesn't mean you should, because you've never crashed doesn't mean you won't, just because you have all the safety equipment doesn't mean you'll ever need it.

Driver's need to make judgement calls on the track conditions, how much risk they'll take with their skill level or safety equipment, and how that weighs on ones desire to win. Driver's without safety equipment probably haven't had a bad crash before, have never had a serious mechanical failure resulting in a loss of control. I've crashed at 140+ mph driversd side impact due to a mechanical failure and with all my safety equipment, walked away.

I'm surprised a 50 year old man with a family didn't have a ton of saftey equipment in a 200+ mph 1/2 mile race car. He probably had a good chance of surviving because it's more about the sudden stop that kills you vs shedding speed tumbling. Lots of people survive crashes at Bonneville.

Regardless he died doing what he loves and he probably understood the risks.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:45 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Jason (in the 241+mph Lambo above) only had a roll bar installed but always wears full suit, helmet, and hans.

He was supposed to race this wknd. but since the crash, he's leaving the car at Dallas Performance for a full cage now. Also getting even more "work" done while there which will push him faster yet.

So, this crash has already changed his mind and more than likely countless others for the future.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:00 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Very sad and that accident was horrible to watch.

Unfortunately, these events just have you sign waivers and don't force you to comply with the safety aspects that we would expect. It's basically a "Hey, don't speed on the highway. Come legally see how fast your car can go." event.
Anyone can buy a super car that can exceed 200mph from the factory and they don't have roll cages, many just have standard 3 point belts.
Those same people can modify them however they want. If they're not participating in "real" driving events, then there's no enforcement for enhanced safety.

The thing that drives me nuts is when you get these guys building 1500+ hp Supras and they're still running the stock brakes that were engineered in the 90s. Money should be spent on tires, brakes, and aero before power.
I was thinking the same thing.
2000 hp in a GTR did not come cheap.
Roll bar, seats, Hans and harness is a drop in the bucket compared to the engine investment.
My Dassport roll bar went in even before I did a muffler swap.
Prayers for his family
Old 09-27-2018, 10:02 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
The description of the scene with his body after such a violent roll /spin is horrible. Helmet / head was found 50+ yards away and that wasn't all.

I hope none of his family was there to see that.
Ugh, just awful. There have been a couple other times that I can recall people having close calls at top speed events. Remember the 911 turbo that lost its sunroof crossing the finish line?

At a minimum a car like that needs a full cage, Halo seat, HANS, 6-point harness, arm restraints, window net etc.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Philement
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what the class rules are because some of the series I run in don't allow anything more than a bolt in cage and that wouldn't have saved this guy. They try to keep street cars, street cars but people take advantage of the rules and run way more power than the class intended. I'm guilty of it and ran a 1:17 at Summit Point with a 3 point belt. I held back but I felt very vulnerable.

At what point is it really up to the organization to force common sense on someone? Money cleary wasn't the reason for the lack of safety equipment here.

Last edited by Philement; 09-27-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-02-2018, 05:41 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Philement
I wonder what the class rules are because some of the series I run in don't allow anything more than a bolt in cage and that wouldn't have saved this guy. They try to keep street cars, street cars but people take advantage of the rules and run way more power than the class intended. I'm guilty of it and ran a 1:17 at Summit Point with a 3 point belt. I held back but I felt very vulnerable.

At what point is it really up to the organization to force common sense on someone? Money cleary wasn't the reason for the lack of safety equipment here.
Don't think there are any class rules based on safety equipment but the "series" just says you have to wear long pants, closed toe shoes and helmet and recommends a cage, harness etc. Pretty stupid to have the same safety rules for 200+ mph passes as a 40 mph parking lot autocross event.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 144 Posts

I haven't seen the video but keep in mind if it rolled as violently as you are all saying a cage ,hans ,belts etc probably would not have saved him . The g-force is insane in a roll at those speeds our bodies ( brain/organs) were not designed to hold up to that force

The talk about instructors is stupid. The only thing an instructor would do is sh-t in his pants and beg the driver to slow down. We aren't teaching car control in a straight line race. Would only lead to 2 people loosing there life not 1

We all take risks and sometimes we feel invincible

Very sad
Old 10-02-2018, 07:57 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

The point was that without instruction and practice, chances are that these drivers doing 200+ mph may have little or no idea of car control or what corrective actions to take. Would that have helped in this incident? Hard to say, but I'd venture a guess that one would be better off with that knowledge and practice than without.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:48 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve113
I haven't seen the video but keep in mind if it rolled as violently as you are all saying a cage ,hans ,belts etc probably would not have saved him . The g-force is insane in a roll at those speeds our bodies ( brain/organs) were not designed to hold up to that force

The talk about instructors is stupid. The only thing an instructor would do is sh-t in his pants and beg the driver to slow down. We aren't teaching car control in a straight line race. Would only lead to 2 people loosing there life not 1

We all take risks and sometimes we feel invincible

Very sad

Old 10-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 144 Posts

Stownsen914- How would you instruct somebody about car control at 200mph plus? Not be be an *** but what you think is car control at 100 isnt even close to what goes on at 200 +. Inputs are very subtle and very different . There are veryyyyy few instructors that have ever been close to 200 in the first place let alone teach what to do at those speeds .

P.S. street car at 200 is again very different then race car that was designed for those speeds. I would go as far to say who ever was behind the wheel when that car got out of shape would have Probably been doomed as well. The key was probably keep it out of the dirt but it looks like trying to brake at those speeds without his chute may have caused the car to move right on him

My 2 cents only

I feel very bad for his family's and friends loss
Old 10-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

The track braking bumps, limited shut down area, and the fact that his chute cord broke is the reason he crashed.
I'm not sure anyone could've saved that given those variables.

My God be with his friends / family in this time and future. He was an awesome individual and loved what he did. Risk or not, he went out doing what man the man HAPPY!!

We should all be so lucky. (given a choice of the way to go)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:57 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know a single HPDE instructor that would sign up to "instruct" for one of these passes.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 754 Posts

I sure as hell wouldn't.

As for this incident, even the most rudimentary knowledge of NOLA would indicate it's not suitable for long drag racing like this.

Quick Reply: NOLA "Go Fast" Driver Death