Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOLA "Go Fast" Driver Death

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:08 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Very sad and that accident was horrible to watch.

Unfortunately, these events just have you sign waivers and don't force you to comply with the safety aspects that we would expect. It's basically a "Hey, don't speed on the highway. Come legally see how fast your car can go." event.
Anyone can buy a super car that can exceed 200mph from the factory and they don't have roll cages, many just have standard 3 point belts.
Those same people can modify them however they want. If they're not participating in "real" driving events, then there's no enforcement for enhanced safety.

The thing that drives me nuts is when you get these guys building 1500+ hp Supras and they're still running the stock brakes that were engineered in the 90s. Money should be spent on tires, brakes, and aero before power.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:27 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
That could well be but I'm wondering if any of these 200 mph cars are required to have cages. I know that many drag strips require cages etc on cars that run under certain times even for amateurs.
The way the car tumbled and rolled sideways, and the parts and the speed those parts were flung from the tumbling car, he would have needed Bonneville (SCTA) level cage, NASCAR level lateral head restraint seat and gear. If he could move or whip at ALL sideways, he was done. In this case, he would have moved quite a bit. Not sure his head could have been contained within the vehicle, so violent were the side motions. Not that it matters, but he was not a newbie.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-26-2018, 10:30 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The way the car tumbled and rolled sideways, and the parts and the speed those parts were flung from the tumbling car, he would have needed Bonneville (SCTA) level cage, NASCAR level lateral head restraint seat and gear. If he could move or whip at ALL sideways, he was done. In this case, he would have moved quite a bit. Not sure his head could have been contained within the vehicle, so violent were the side motions. Not that it matters, but he was not a newbie.
Agreed. The rate at which that car was shedding parts was very violent. Accidents like this are surprisingly uncommon considering how many 1/2 mile and 1 mile top speed events there are per year.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:19 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

R.I.P and condolences to his family and friends.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Yes, horrible. Seems pretty irresponsible of the organization to run events with cars going 200+ mph without requiring pretty serious safety equipment. Driving a car at speeds like that can require good knowledge and skill that untrained enthusiasts won't have ... (comment is a general one, not aimed at the victim in question since I don't know what his experience level was)

I instructed a guy in a 600 hp GTR at Lime Rock a couple years ago. That thing was fast as sh*t I can't even imagine 2000 hp. The video looks like it's sped up, the car is so fast.
Are the PCA events any more responsible or better? We get new drivers going over 150 mph on the back straight at COTA. They really haven't got a clue of what to do if the car gets squirrelly, they all think they have it under control. Are we going to fare any better crashing at 150 than that guy crashing at 200?

I repeatedly tell students to back off the throttle, no need to see how fast the car can go until they have more experience. You can't learn the basics of braking, turn in, and rolling on the power as exiting a turn when you are entering the brake zone at 150mph. Everyone wants to run before they know how to walk.

I seriously think that the PCA has become a little complacent and too relaxed in regards to safety. Too many rich guys showing up in GT3rs and other very expensive cars that can go very, very fast. The HPDE business model was originally designed around cars with a third to half the horsepower of today's cars. Sure, PSM and ABS are better, but they aren't fool proof. The video of the guy that totalled his GT4 last year at Miracle Mile should have been a wake up call to every CDI and especially national PCA. That was a warning of worse things to come if we don't start mandating speed limits for all cars in groups requiring an instructor.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:19 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Talk about barrel rolls....I actually saw this crash in 1971 at Daytona, coming out of turn 2, before they paved everything there. No HANS, no special seats, basic belts, open face helmet. Maynard Troyer survived the 18 flips and came back to compete in the 1973 race. He died earlier this year.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:41 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Damn. Wish I didn't watch that video (the NOLA one). RIP and vibes to family and friends.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the end of the video, the cockpit looked empty when the car finally came to rest.
Makes me think those were more than just car parts flying around during the initial impact, and the subsequent impacts that apparently followed. Is there a wall on the right down there? Hard to tell what he hit because of the speed.

Brian in AZ, that's a great post and very informative, but no way a PCA DE is that lax when it comes to safety.
Yes, maybe there could be more done in terms of safety at DE's concerning beginner drivers with high HP cars at their first DE, but from what many of my instructor buddies have told me, if they are in a car with a student that's starting to scare them, they immediately have that driver pit in and have a debriefing about safety and speed and the like. I have heard this from numerous instructor friends of mine. It's a good thing.

I have never been to a PCA DE where a beginner driver is allowed to do what I just watched in the above video. That's just nuts. Not sure any amount of safety equipment would have saved him from a crash at that speed. Didn't even look like there was anyone still in the car at the end of the video. Yikes.

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I took a picture of a car that wrecked (I know I was not supposed to) during my first ever DE years ago. If I recall correctly, it was at Pocono, but can't be sure. I did not download or publish or even share that picture with anyone. Just kept it on my phone. The driver in that crash walked away unscathed, and that's really good, but the visual of that wrecked car scared the crap out of me. I was a real beginner at the time, as green as green could be.
I still have that picture on my phone and I look at it before every DE I do, even to this day, and even so many DE's later. Not sure why, I just do. I look at it. Then I don't look at it again until the start of the next DE that I do. Maybe it's self preservation, but when I feel myself starting to push too hard in a corner with little or no runoff, the picture of that wrecked car pops into my mind.

The video above is awful. I've never seen things flying off of and out of a car like that before, ever....
Old 09-26-2018, 02:36 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
Are the PCA events any more responsible or better? We get new drivers going over 150 mph on the back straight at COTA. They really haven't got a clue of what to do if the car gets squirrelly, they all think they have it under control. Are we going to fare any better crashing at 150 than that guy crashing at 200?
Well, there is instruction at PCA events. Is there instruction at these run watcha brung drag race events? Do the drivers have any idea of even the basics of car control? I'll bet PCA has them beat in this area.

With that said, I have grown increasingly uncomfortable with the prospect of instructing in cars with 500 hp or more, with stock belts and no additional safety equipment aside from a helmet.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:38 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az

I repeatedly tell students to back off the throttle, no need to see how fast the car can go until they have more experience. You can't learn the basics of braking, turn in, and rolling on the power as exiting a turn when you are entering the brake zone at 150mph. Everyone wants to run before they know how to walk.

I seriously think that the PCA has become a little complacent and too relaxed in regards to safety. Too many rich guys showing up in GT3rs and other very expensive cars that can go very, very fast. The HPDE business model was originally designed around cars with a third to half the horsepower of today's cars. Sure, PSM and ABS are better, but they aren't fool proof. The video of the guy that totalled his GT4 last year at Miracle Mile should have been a wake up call to every CDI and especially national PCA. That was a warning of worse things to come if we don't start mandating speed limits for all cars in groups requiring an instructor.
Road Atlanta is the same on the back straight. New 991 Turbos can hit well over 150+ mph before braking for turn 10. Just one of the many reasons I dont instruct much anymore.

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Well, there is instruction at PCA events. Is there instruction at these run watcha brung drag race events? Do the drivers have any idea of even the basics of car control? I'll bet PCA has them beat in this area.
No instruction at any of the 1/2 and 1 mile race events (That I know of).
Old 09-26-2018, 02:46 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Ironically, just pulled this off the GoFast website:

Importance of Safety:

Founded in order to fill a niche in the motorsports marketplace.
Our goal was to create a safe and controlled environment for fellow car enthusiasts to pursue their “Need For Speed” without the restrictions of the standard 1/8 or 1/4 mile drag strip.
See what it’s like to hit speeds you’ve only dreamed of without the risk of law enforcement or causing injury to others, while being surrounded by on-site safety personnel

Thinking they may want to edit (or delete) that last line....

Further down the page was this:

NEW ORLEANS 1/2 MILE CANCELLED

We have decided to cancel the remainder of this event.

Our deepest condolences and prayers go out to the family of the driver today after the accident.

If you have any questions please email info@wannagofast.com and we will get back with you as quickly as possible.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:56 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

To be fair, that last sentence remains true...
Old 09-26-2018, 02:57 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
To be fair, that last sentence remains true...
You are correct sir.
Just noticed that it specifically says "others" and not "yourself", so yes, it seems to be a true statement.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:04 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I already have a thread on this but why would any doubt 200+ mph in 1/2 these days?

My great friend Jason Bergstrom owns the Lambo Gallardo (E-Gear tranny) world record at 241+ mph in standing 1/2. He and Jason were supposed to have a race together this Sat. at the Atlanta Street Car Takeover event in Commerce GA that we're going to.

GTR's are totally capable of 200+ and do it on the reg.!

Word is, the Chute cable broke..The laundry wasn't out at the 1/2.

Last edited by Big Swole; 09-26-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

My thread discussing it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...ath-today.html

If you've not seen the video, 216+ spin / roll is VIOLENT!!

Old 09-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

The description of the scene with his body after such a violent roll /spin is horrible. Helmet / head was found 50+ yards away and that wasn't all.

I hope none of his family was there to see that.

Quick Reply: NOLA "Go Fast" Driver Death