Sponsored by:

DE/Track Day Double Stint Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 01:24 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default DE/Track Day Double Stint Question

Currently running an '05 Boxster S with new tranny/flywheel/clutch, deep sump, 996 oil cooler, PSS-9 and Borla exhaust as a dedicated AX and track car. I was wondering how robust it would be to double stint on DE/track days. My son would run as a novice and I would run as an intermediate so that we could maximize run time. Other option is to trade off days if its too many runs in a day for the car. Appreciate any insight.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:32 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Not all track days are created equal. How many sessions and minutes per session? An event with 2+ hours of track time per group is very different from a 4-20 minute sessions per run group event. The closer you are to the former format the harder it is on the car.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:33 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I double stinted my 04S a few times. The only issue I had was the power steering overheating a bit. Not sure if that is also a problem in the 987s. I think you would be ok with novice/ intermediate.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:33 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by patrickkirby
Currently running an '05 Boxster S with new tranny/flywheel/clutch, deep sump, 996 oil cooler, PSS-9 and Borla exhaust as a dedicated AX and track car. I was wondering how robust it would be to double stint on DE/track days. My son would run as a novice and I would run as an intermediate so that we could maximize run time. Other option is to trade off days if its too many runs in a day for the car. Appreciate any insight.
I've done that with my wife with my 14 Cayman S. Do it once every season for a 3 day DE at Pocono with RTR.

She is green. I am white. Never had a problem with the double duty. Not much wear and tear from a novice driver.

Now, if you had 2 advanced drivers doing it, I'd recommend a 2nd set of pads and a second set of tires accompany you guys to the track.

Other than that, you shouldn't have any issues. Enjoy the time with your kid on the track. Can't imagine it gets much better than that...
Old 09-25-2018, 01:36 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

My son and I double dutied a 99 Spec Boxster. It handled it ok. But we quickly discovered double duty is tough for the drivers, need to come back early or go out late, or what if you're in the same run group? We ended up getting another track car.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

As others have said it really depends a lot on how hard the car is driven and that would depend on the drivers, the track, and the outside temperature.

Since your son is a green run group he probably won't put as much heat into the car as you would. Just keep checking the car and if someone has to sit out a stint to let the car cool down it is what it is. You should be OK but when your son gets faster it might be a lot for the car.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Typically double duty my car out of necessity. Over the years have never had an issue with one of my fellow drivers running it. If a race car is well prepped, double DE duty should be no problems. Cars are made to be driving and track cars are made to be beaten. Enjoy and if something breaks, it would have broken next weekend anyhow.

I do usually pit out a couple of minutes early and make sure the novice has time to focus and settle into the seat. Dont worry and keep a level head so your son can spend the entire time enjoying the weekend and not stressing over the car.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:20 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

I instructed a husband and wife in a 991 C4s at Sebring in May, the car held up fine. They ran green and blue even though both were intermediate students and drove the car hard. The only concern I had was the brake pads so we checked them each day, especially the rear. The newer software braking the inside rear wheels tends to wear faster in novice/intermediate groups. Tech inspection assumes one driver and may let worn brakes pass as only needing to run one set of sessions. Since you have control over that I would tech consumables (tires and brakes) like they had to last two weekends in a row.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:49 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I run a E36 M3 as a DE/TT car gets driven pretty hard by two drivers never been a problem
Old 09-27-2018, 03:54 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the major factor is the number of group !
if you double load a car in a pca track day with 5 run group, I would think that this is just fine.
But, doing so on a 3 ..or two run group day, could be quite hard for the car.
i.e.: give the car up to 50% load duty seems logical/mechanical to me.

But, again, this are just very basic conservative practices. Have you ever seen races like the 24 hours of Le Mans ?
Old 09-27-2018, 06:16 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

These cars are engineered for way more than DE double stints. My 02 Boxster S didn’t miss a beat last time I had her in a long track session, which was a 90 minute enduro at Sebring during 48 Hours PCA event earlier this year. I drove half the race, and a pro driver handled the other half. My car did just fine.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:15 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We've run our 1986 951 track car for 4 years with both of us driving and had no issues, even on hot days. The biggest thing is figuring out how to adjust the belts quickly for the second driver so they get their track time. The second driver usually ends up going out at the end of the group but that's fine, as usually just a few of the fastest cars have made it around the track so she gets to run with them. Keep an eye on tires and brakes/rotors and you should be all set, P-cars were made to be driven hard! We run White and Blue, which are often back to back, so setting the belts up quickly is now getting pretty fast. Still not ready for a driver exchange at Le Mans but the car handles double duty easily. Enjoy the time with your son: wish I'd gotten to do that with my dad, whose three 356's got me hooked on Porsches.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:37 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
I run a E36 M3 as a DE/TT car gets driven pretty hard by two drivers never been a problem
Same... my car goes back to back sessions with 0 issues running advanced and advanced/intermediate.. My E36 was built with the intention of doing endurance racing, so most steps have been taken to maximize durability.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:18 PM
knb1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
I instructed a husband and wife in a 991 C4s at Sebring in May, the car held up fine. They ran green and blue even though both were intermediate students and drove the car hard. The only concern I had was the brake pads so we checked them each day, especially the rear. The newer software braking the inside rear wheels tends to wear faster in novice/intermediate groups. Tech inspection assumes one driver and may let worn brakes pass as only needing to run one set of sessions. Since you have control over that I would tech consumables (tires and brakes) like they had to last two weekends in a row.
We've been hot tracking this car for ten DE sessions including the one with Carmen. No problems even at Sebring in the heat this September. Brake pads, tires and rotors go quickly and need to be checked regularly at the track. But paying attention beforehand to the brake fluid (switched out with BG super DOT4) and oil, we have had tried to minimize problems. So far it's worked.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:44 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If it's a dedicated track car, just take out all the weight you can. Lightening the car (dramatically) impacts everything from braking to acceleration to handling to consumables.

As others have said, you probably won't be able to out drive the engineering in a DE.

-td

Quick Reply: DE/Track Day Double Stint Question