Sponsored by:

driving in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:24 PM
rkirshner
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving in the rain

may i ask a question about driving in the rain . everything else being equal , is the incidence or frequency of hydroplaning higher at higher speeds ?
thank you
Old 09-23-2018, 10:45 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Yes
Old 09-23-2018, 11:11 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Everything will happen st much lower speeds. Hydroplaning will likely occur 45-55 mph. Be careful. Take advantage if lower thresholds of grip to develop a more aware feel for what the car is doing. That's when skill breakthroughs happen
Old 09-23-2018, 11:33 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

High performance cars with wide tires are always more prone to hydroplaning.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Also keep in mind that the road/track conditions are most slick when it first starts raining and all the oils on the road surface separate to the top.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:03 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,588 Posts

There is also a big difference between the first few laps and later when/if you manage to get some heat into the tires. Even in the rain you can many times build temp and that helps the tires.

That being said, if you are hydroplaning you have lost contact with the pavement and heat in the tires won't help you. Staying out of standing water, if you can, is one of the keys to maintaining grip.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:29 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Also, please keep in mind, wet paint is much more slippery than wet pavement.

(i.e. Turtles and Rumbles are slicker than the pavement in front of them). Ask me how I know that....
Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

I hydroplaned down the front straight at WGI and scared the hell out of myself. It was definitely a learning experience!!

I got on the brakes to slow down for Turn 1 and the car just didn't slow down. It did eventually, but I'd never had that happen before and the feeling was downright surreal.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:09 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

Dumb question that someone here will be able to answer - Toyo RA-1's need to be full tread to run in the rain, correct? I ran one lap on shaved tires in the warm-up at Summit Point yesterday morning and couldn't drive over 60MPH without some serious hydroplaning. I immediately called it quits when Hunt and a couple of others blew by me on the front straight, yet I still almost drove straight off the track in Turn 3.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:42 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PGas32
Dumb question that someone here will be able to answer - Toyo RA-1's need to be full tread to run in the rain, correct? I ran one lap on shaved tires in the warm-up at Summit Point yesterday morning and couldn't drive over 60MPH without some serious hydroplaning. I immediately called it quits when Hunt and a couple of others blew by me on the front straight, yet I still almost drove straight off the track in Turn 3.
If the water can't exit the tire efficiently you get the hydroplaning you are experiencing. When I was running in SPC I had my rain Toyos groved (forget the correct term) so that water could get pumped out more effectively.

I ran Pirelli rains at Summit yesterday and had a blast once the tires warmed up. Just one or two "oh crap" moments such as when I took turn 3 really fast and tracked out on the painted curbing. As someone just said "don't do that".

The key to driving well in the rain is to practice and gain confidence. At the morning practice session I believe I was one of five cars on track but three times as many competed in the race. Why wouldn't you want to learn the grip of a track you are going to race on later in the day?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:42 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes, they are much better at full tread but it's still not a great rain tire. The worst thing you can do is take a new set out in the rain without scuffing them first. I had a bunch of moments yesterday but it was a blast!.

Last edited by sbelles; 09-24-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 PM
will968
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Just make sure you can see!

Here's my view from enduro practice at Summit

Didn't want to race after that until a friend convinced me to use shaving cream - worked like a charm.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:40 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

I think the OP got his question answered and the thread has already been hijacked so I might as well post this up here. The curbs in three weren't that bad in the rain really, as long as the wheels were straight. First time I ever even thought about a pass on the curb in 4.

Orange Enduro start

The start is at about 2:40. Things went well until about four or five laps in when visibility went to hell. It got better once it warmed up in the car. At least I didn't have clouds in the car like Will. ^^

Last edited by sbelles; 09-25-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:05 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rkirshner
may i ask a question about driving in the rain . everything else being equal , is the incidence or frequency of hydroplaning higher at higher speeds ?
thank you
yes, by definition... higher the speed, the greater the hydroplane forces. what are you really asking?
Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by will968
Just make sure you can see!

Here's my view from enduro practice at Summit

Didn't want to race after that until a friend convinced me to use shaving cream - worked like a charm.
Luckily, I had FogX and still have my a/c so fog wasn;t really a problem. However, the spray was crazy! Sometimes going into a braking zone I was thinking "I hope no one has spun". During some periods of spray I was looking out my side windows to get an idea where I was.

Originally Posted by mark kibort
yes, by definition... higher the speed, the greater the hydroplane forces. what are you really asking?
C'mon Mark! This doesn't have to happen EVERY thread.

Quick Reply: driving in the rain