Sponsored by:

driving in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:31 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
yes, by definition... higher the speed, the greater the hydroplane forces. what are you really asking?
I think he's asking :

" everything else being equal , is the incidence or frequency of hydroplaning higher at higher speeds ?"
Old 09-25-2018, 02:34 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Back to the hijacking, that new pavement at Summit was super in the rainy enduro Sunday. Little river crossing the track between 8 & 9 but otherwise lots of grip everywhere. Had to be thoughtful with the throttle in 1, 3 and 9 and careful on the brakes into 1, 4, and 5 but all manageable. Ran consistent 36/37/38s for 90 minutes and it was a frankly one of the most fun races of the year. Also, Hoosier rains are absurdly good.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I think he's asking.. :

" everything else being equal , is the incidence or frequency of hydroplaning higher at higher speeds ?"

Old 09-25-2018, 05:40 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
Hoosier rains are absurdly good.
That's what I was thinking every time you and Robbie came by. Our Toyos aren't terrible but they aren't great either.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:39 PM
will968
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

More Summit rain enduro notes: First turn on the opening lap was slick - had an ice moment at the end of the brake zone and drove it into the gravel I ran RE-71s, which weren't too bad but had nothing on Hoosiers. It was fun until I thought I'd run out of gas and had to short shift, even coast down the front stretch for a while - used a lot more full-throttle than I thought. Race ended when my alternator quit, or belt slipped - rain put more load on the alternator with wipers at full.
T-9 was the worst. Everything else was predictable except for the river out of 8, which almost hydroplaned me off the track a few times.
Wasn't very well prepared that one, I'll take it a little more seriously next time
Old 09-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Saw you slide off behind me Will. I thought I might have inadvertently brake checked you as I was gingerly trying to slow myself. That was a mess. Not fun. Not something I like to do but I survived it. Scott drove a great race early to persevere and hold onto P2. I was getting a bit quicker after the pitstop but came up a short. Early on My window was so fogged I was just tiptoeing around. Made for a fun video though:

https://dai.ly/x6u5cil

Old 09-25-2018, 07:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I think he's asking :

Thats what he is saying, but i really want to know what he means. Of course everyone i think knows that with greater speeds comes the risk of hydroplaning. if the water is deep enough, it can happen at slow speeds too and in fact, it can happen more frequently at slower speeds if the water is proportionately deeper. So, im just trying to understand the concern. For example, my ride home at 50mph with the race car ON slicks, was riddled with hydroplaning which gave a momentary loss of conrtrol, while operating at 100mph at laguna seca just hours earlier, in driving rain, there was very little instance of hydroplaning going up to 2x the speed. How the road routes water, and how much water is left on the road, along with the tires ability or inability to channel it away, are probably the most dominant factors in the speed required to hydroplane.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Streak
Saw you slide off behind me Will. I thought I might have inadvertently brake checked you as I was gingerly trying to slow myself. That was a mess. Not fun. Not something I like to do but I survived it. Scott drove a great race early to persevere and hold onto P2. I was getting a bit quicker after the pitstop but came up a short. Early on My window was so fogged I was just tiptoeing around. Made for a fun video though:

https://dai.ly/x6u5cil

https://vimeo.com/291483771
nice driving.. really slick surface! wow! were you on slicks?
Old 09-25-2018, 08:05 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

nice driving.. really slick surface! wow! were you on slicks?
RA1's. They don't come anywhere near a Hoo wet. That always gives me a bit of concern being out there with cars that may not be aware of the dramatic differences between the two tires. I think Anthony and Robbie lapped me twice
Old 09-26-2018, 11:39 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by will968
More Summit rain enduro notes: First turn on the opening lap was slick - had an ice moment at the end of the brake zone and drove it into the gravel I ran RE-71s, which weren't too bad but had nothing on Hoosiers. It was fun until I thought I'd run out of gas and had to short shift, even coast down the front stretch for a while - used a lot more full-throttle than I thought. Race ended when my alternator quit, or belt slipped - rain put more load on the alternator with wipers at full.
T-9 was the worst. Everything else was predictable except for the river out of 8, which almost hydroplaned me off the track a few times.
Wasn't very well prepared that one, I'll take it a little more seriously next time
I found that it was a whole lot grippier if I took 9 really late and went up the inside but it was hard to do since the river kept pushing me out to the left
Old 09-26-2018, 11:47 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbelles
I found that it was a whole lot grippier if I took 9 really late and went up the inside but it was hard to do since the river kept pushing me out to the left
Exactly, I just ran through the river and kept he car straighter a little longer to regain grip and then turned into 9. IMHO that was the best way to take that turn.

My Pirelli wets worked awesome once they got up to temperature and I could really lean into some turns. The track walk was invaluable for knowing where to place the car.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Exactly, I just ran through the river and kept he car straighter a little longer to regain grip and then turned into 9. IMHO that was the best way to take that turn.

My Pirelli wets worked awesome once they got up to temperature and I could really lean into some turns. The track walk was invaluable for knowing where to place the car.
what kind of temps could you see? i think any treaded tire probably would be good, but is the fact that you have soft rubber with a pirelli, make a big difference? ive only driven in the rain on shaved DOTs or hoosiers, so all i know is white knuckle driving.

Originally Posted by Streak
RA1's. They don't come anywhere near a Hoo wet. That always gives me a bit of concern being out there with cars that may not be aware of the dramatic differences between the two tires. I think Anthony and Robbie lapped me twice
was it just a RA1 full tread or a shaved RA1. man, you had no grip and i wonder if it was a matter of the tire compound, or the tread config.

In that rain race i was in, when sofro and one of the other GT3RSRs passed me on pirelling wets in that old GTGP race, it was like i was standing stilll . We hit some pretty nasty rain, but it seems like there were no rivers like you had in your video we just dont get too many rain races out west, so i may never have the chance to experience a proper rain tire.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

what kind of temps could you see? i think any treaded tire probably would be good, but is the fact that you have soft rubber with a pirelli, make a big difference? ive only driven in the rain on shaved DOTs or hoosiers, so all i know is white knuckle driving.
My comparison is Hoosier wets versus Pirelli wets. The Hoosiers have been fine in the past but I think the Pirellis give me much better grip.

I noticed a big difference depending on temperature because after a red flag for about 20 minutes I had no grip when we restarted. With about 6-7 laps to go in the race it was only the last lap where I felt like the grip was coming back so heat did make a big difference.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:22 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

was it just a RA1 full tread or a shaved RA1. man, you had no grip and i wonder if it was a matter of the tire compound, or the tread config.

In that rain race i was in, when sofro and one of the other GT3RSRs passed me on pirelling wets in that old GTGP race, it was like i was standing stilll . We hit some pretty nasty rain, but it seems like there were no rivers like you had in your video we just dont get too many rain races out west, so i may never have the chance to experience a proper rain tire.
Full tread RA1's. Just not much there to work with.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:36 PM
will968
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by will968; 09-26-2018 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: driving in the rain