Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driving in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 12:31 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From a few weeks ago. Full tread Toyo RA1's..... Texas monsoon downpour at COTA..... Tires could not keep up. It was raining inside my car. Next time I'm just going to turn my rear view camera around I drive off the monitor.....

Old 10-02-2018, 10:26 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
From a few weeks ago. Full tread Toyo RA1's..... Texas monsoon downpour at COTA..... Tires could not keep up. It was raining inside my car. Next time I'm just going to turn my rear view camera around I drive off the monitor.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dJvtC93bUQ
Hey Plavan - I'm 6'5" do you think there's any chance I would fit into an NP01?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Hey Plavan - I'm 6'5" do you think there's any chance I would fit into an NP01?

I know we had some 6'4" guys in them. It depends if you are all legs or torso. Easy way to check is to jump in one after removing the poured seat insert, with the pedals moved all the way forward. If you fit then, you can have a seat poured like all the NP01 drivers.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:37 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
I know we had some 6'4" guys in them. It depends if you are all legs or torso. Easy way to check is to jump in one after removing the poured seat insert, with the pedals moved all the way forward. If you fit then, you can have a seat poured like all the NP01 drivers.
Cool - thanks for the info. Now I just have to find one to "jump into"

Jeff
Old 10-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
Cool - thanks for the info. Now I just have to find one to "jump into"

Jeff
Haha. I dont know of any in NY. Any driver will let you try it out- Everyone is really cool. At the Championships, other spec racers of different makes wanted to hang out with the NP01 guys. Their comments were 1. No Drama between drivers, 2. No one was wrenching on the cars (didn't break). All true.

FYI- I heard Elan can even move the upper dash bar if a tall guy orders it to give you even more room.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:47 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Another trick when driving in the rain, that is often not mentioned is to inflate the tires over the recommended tire pressures. In dry conditions, most of us bleed air out of our tires to achieve optimal tire pressures for maximum grip. In the wet, the opposite is more effective (especially with the wider rear tires), adding 4-5psi serves to reduce the flattening of the tire which prevents water from getting under the flat contact patch which results in hydroplaning. In the wet, the braking system and the tires do not get anywhere as hot as they would in dry conditions, and as such adding air is not a problem (the higher tire psi doesn't result in the "greasy" feeling we all know as there is much less corresponding heat...tire temperature is much much lower in the wet!!). Adding some air actually helps improve wet pavement grip by reducing hydroplaning, as a fuller tires is less susceptible to water getting between the tire and the pavement...it "wicks"/disperses water much better. Tip: in the wet, add air and watch your grip improve.

Quick Reply: driving in the rain