Sponsored by:

Radical SR8 deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 08:26 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH

Why do you think that about supportability? I always operated my SR3 as a one man team. The only time I needed help was taking the nose or tail off / on the car.... and there were always lots of People wanting to help. I don’t know why the SR8 would be any harder?

Also so we just added some new cars to the site.

Charley
I’m happy to hear they may be easier than I expected. I’ve heard the SR3 just takes a lot more maintenance than a street car based race car (suspension and component inspections), and that the SR8 motors can be finicky but little explanation or concrete detail. I’d love to learn that’s quite wrong and for the cars to be reliable like a Camry! I just figured the performance at modest weight would drive more maintenance, and going to P1/2 would be still more.

I’d love an SR8 in 5-10 years after I have more experience.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:09 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
At MMC which has a good chunk of Radicals, I feel that the SR8s have dwindled in number. In fact I haven't seen one on track in a while.
One longer term Radical driver described driving his SR8 as "violent" and I think he no longer drives it. The SR8 is a ludicrously fast car. Ludicrous speed. My feeling is that it would be a bad choice for anyone looking for their first open cockpit or prototype racer (among us mortals).
SR8’s are definitely “wild animals” that demand respect and restraint from the driver, but I believe many of the drivers here are capable of taming them. Driving a purpose built racecar with high downforce and slicks is a very physical experience. But is an amazing experience!

Charley
Old 09-28-2018, 11:21 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37

I’m happy to hear they may be easier than I expected. I’ve heard the SR3 just takes a lot more maintenance than a street car based race car (suspension and component inspections), and that the SR8 motors can be finicky but little explanation or concrete detail. I’d love to learn that’s quite wrong and for the cars to be reliable like a Camry! I just figured the performance at modest weight would drive more maintenance, and going to P1/2 would be still more.

I’d love an SR8 in 5-10 years after I have more experience.
Driving and supporting is different from street based cars, but they can definitely be operated solo. Because they have less than 2” of ground clearance things like jacking up the car and loading the car in the trailer take are a bit different, but are manageable. I have seen some crazy contraptions used to get the cars into a trailer, but I did it by myself all the time. Here is a video showing how easy it can be to load. https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...nto-a-trailer/ You do need to do “nut and bolt” checks but I have never found a loose nut or bolt.

Definitely worth the effort.
Charley
Old 10-02-2018, 05:33 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Ugh this is so tempting to turn my 997 GT3 into a truck, trailer and one of these.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:58 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Ugh this is so tempting to turn my 997 GT3 into a truck, trailer and one of these.

I have to say that I have never seen a seller this motivated. He is letting these SR8’s go WAY below Market value. He told me that he would go down to ~$40 k, which would be a steal for an SR3 let alone an SR8. If you were ever contemplating getting an SR8, this is a great time to do it. The Black 2011 SR8 is also an amazing deal because it only has 20 hours on the chassis which is very low. The tiger stripe car is also a great deal because it has a fresh sealed engine from the factory in England.

There are also some great deals on SR3's. Chassis number SR300866 is a 2013 that only has 25 hours.

Charley

Last edited by CharleyH; 10-03-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:58 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It’s not time for me yet. I have a goal for lap time at Road Atlanta to meet first. Then a Radical cup race once I get fast enough. Then maybe one of these!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:51 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

I have to say that I have never seen a seller this motivated. He is letting these SR8’s go WAY below Market value. He told me that he would go down to ~$40 k, which would be a steal for an SR3 let alone an SR8. If you were ever contemplating getting an SR8, this is a great time to do it. The Black 2011 SR8 is also an amazing deal because it only has 20 hours on the chassis which is very low. The tiger stripe car is also a great deal because it has a fresh sealed engine from the factory in England.

There are also some great deals on SR3's. Chassis number SR300866 is a 2013 that only has 25 hours.

Charley
40K?!?! Are these cars in US or UK? Problem is the rebuild cost on the motor/gearbox is so high...

Did the Tiger stripe car belong to Keith Verges?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:23 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

40K?!?! Are these cars in US or UK? Problem is the rebuild cost on the motor/gearbox is so high...

Did the Tiger stripe car belong to Keith Verges?
Yes, the SR8’s are all in the United States. The Blue 2012 (chassis 195) and the Orange 2009 (chassis 77) are both in the Olympia Washington area. The Black 2011 (chassis 140) is located in Georgia, and the Tiger striped 2009 (chassis 87) is in Wylie Texas. I don’t recall who the owner was of Chassis 87, but I know it was owned by a well know Racer in Texas that had a large car collection. Apparently he passed away and Dallas Motorsports was tasked to sell off the his collection for the Family. I believe this is the last car in the collection. If you give Carl at Dallas Motorsports a call he can fill you in on the details about the previous owner.

Regarding the cost of maintenance.... Cost of maintaining an SR8 is cheap compared to many prototypes in it’s class... But they are much more money to maintain than an SR3 and not cheap. One of my favorite sayings about track cars is “ You need to know how fast you can afford to be”. The SR8 is an extremely fast racecar but the maintenance is definitely going to be much higher.

Charley
Old 10-03-2018, 06:38 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

I just talked to Carl and he confirmed that this is Keith Verges' car. Keith currently holds the track record at Motorsports Ranch with this car. He also said that if you want to trade in your GT3 he would be happy to work that into a deal.

I hope this helps.
Charley
Old 10-04-2018, 11:29 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Yes, the SR8’s are all in the United States. The Blue 2012 (chassis 195) and the Orange 2009 (chassis 77) are both in the Olympia Washington area. The Black 2011 (chassis 140) is located in Georgia, and the Tiger striped 2009 (chassis 87) is in Wylie Texas. I don’t recall who the owner was of Chassis 87, but I know it was owned by a well know Racer in Texas that had a large car collection. Apparently he passed away and Dallas Motorsports was tasked to sell off the his collection for the Family. I believe this is the last car in the collection. If you give Carl at Dallas Motorsports a call he can fill you in on the details about the previous owner.

Regarding the cost of maintenance.... Cost of maintaining an SR8 is cheap compared to many prototypes in it’s class... But they are much more money to maintain than an SR3 and not cheap. One of my favorite sayings about track cars is “ You need to know how fast you can afford to be”. The SR8 is an extremely fast racecar but the maintenance is definitely going to be much higher.

Charley
Yeah that tiger car was Keith Verges, he was an attorney, racer and car collector here in DFW that passed away from an unexpected heart attack, sad. That car is brutally fast!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:41 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Yeah that tiger car was Keith Verges, he was an attorney, racer and car collector here in DFW that passed away from an unexpected heart attack, sad. That car is brutally fast!
i have been told that he meticulously maintained his cars.
Charley

Last edited by CharleyH; 12-03-2018 at 03:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Radical SR8 deal