Sponsored by:

Radical SR8 deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Radical SR8 deal

Here is a great deal that I came across on a 2012 SR8 for $49,999 which is about $15k below market value. It is a great deal for anyone that is thinking about an SR8. 440HP in a 1,300 pound car is a lot of performance for the money.

I hope this helps someone,
Charley

https://radicalsportscarregistry.com/radicals-for-sale/
Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

If that car is straight and not beat up or used up, that's a solid deal for a car that can do a sub 2:00 lap at COTA
Old 09-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the real running cost of an SR8 if you do the work yourself? I have been told as much as $1k an hour?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:02 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Here is a great deal that I came across on a 2012 SR8 for $49,999 which is about $15k below market value. It is a great deal for anyone that is thinking about an SR8. 440HP in a 1,300 pound car is a lot of performance for the money.

I hope this helps someone,
Charley

https://radicalsportscarregistry.com/radicals-for-sale/
This website is going to cost me my marriage. Can stop looking at it.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:53 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
What is the real running cost of an SR8 if you do the work yourself? I have been told as much as $1k an hour?
I have only owned an SR3 so I don't have an first hand knowledge of the SR8. I can tell you that in the SR3 the cost of consumables is very reasonable, of course this is dependent on how hard you drive the car. The car is so light that the brakes last a really long time and I was getting about 8 to 10 tack days out of a set of tires. Of course I was just a track day user, so if you are trying to break the track record every time you are on track you can burn through consumables at a much higher rate. It is my understanding that that the cost of overhauling the V8 engine is almost twice the cost of the SR3 and is in the ~$13k to $20k range, so these are definitely budget racers... But they do offer a tremendous Performance per dollar .

Charley
Old 09-21-2018, 02:58 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daylorb
This website is going to cost me my marriage. Can stop looking at it.
That's a great complement, Thank you very much. I have to admit that while I have been creating this site my family held an "intervention" because I was spending 14+ hours a day working on it for months on end. I didn't even realize I was spending so much time on it because it has been so much fun to create. It has been a fun "retirement hobby' for me.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Charley
Old 09-21-2018, 03:18 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One reason the SR3 is cost effective is because the gearbox is built into the motor. The SR8 has a more traditional gearbox and also a bespoke motor with short maintenance intervals. Plus you have a sequential gearbox with short intervals too.

Thr chassis are good and solid but also have race car maintenance.

Blazing fast car, lots more maintenance than a sports car.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:43 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
If that car is straight and not beat up or used up, that's a solid deal for a car that can do a sub 2:00 lap at COTA
I agree. I called Spring Mountain today to check on this car and they told me that they had this car in their showroom earlier this year and did an inspection on the car prior to accepting the car for sale. They told me that it looked like a very solid car to them at the time. They were very surprised to hear what the current sale price is. By the way, the same car is advertised on Racing Junk for $65k.

Charley
Old 09-21-2018, 04:11 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
That's a great complement, Thank you very much. I have to admit that while I have been creating this site my family held an "intervention" because I was spending 14+ hours a day working on it for months on end. I didn't even realize I was spending so much time on it because it has been so much fun to create. It has been a fun "retirement hobby' for me.

I am glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Charley
wow, Charley!! enjoying retirement!.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:33 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fosbibr
wow, Charley!! enjoying retirement!.
I have also taken several month long trips also, so I am not just working on this

Charley
Old 09-23-2018, 04:19 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have heard the tranny is delicate, specifically gears. I would love to have a center seat SR8 with power steering. Cost new would be about $180k. But... the talk is these are fragile. I dont know anyone that has one tho.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hughp3
i have heard the tranny is delicate,
But... the talk is these are fragile...
Any purpose built race car with be more fragile than a production car used on the race track.
A race car is not designed to last 100,000 miles between overhauls. Every production car is designed to last 100,000 miles.

You don't get sub 2000 pound cars without shaving off as much weight as possible everywhere, including transmission cases and internals.

A typical race car will need 10 to 15 hours in just the basics of track prep before every track event. For HPDE use, the parts will past longer as mentioned earlier as compared to how long they last during racing use. Most expensive gearbox issues are driver induced; racers beat up the clutches and gears when shifting. Most engine issues are also driver induced. 100 hours between rebuilds on an engine is possible if used for HPDE only. If racing, 25 to 40 hours is more normal if you want to be at the pointy end of the field.

Suspensions use rod end bearings, they are chosen to be light and to be the weak link in case of a crash. They need to be changed annually.
Slicks put more stress on the car and the frame will need more maintenance compared to using street tires. This was proven out when several Formula Ford groups went from slicks to DOT tires. Everything on the cars started lasting longer compared to the previous seasons running slicks.

Budget your engine costs and transmission rebuild costs and you will find they are manageable.
$12,000 every 50 hours, 3 hours per weekend, equals about $750 per weekend for rebuilds. $375 per weekend if you limit your RPMs to 90% of redline; and don't money shift it.
If you shift less violently than most racers, than you can triple the life of your transmission as long as you change the fluid every 5 hours.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:30 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I’ve always perceived going from an SR3 to an SR8 to be a transition from a car that’s on the borderline of self-supportable over to a car where trackside support is pretty much required to consistently enjoy the car. Also that great motor is more efficient at transforming money into speed, grins, and cool noises, so it takes and gives more of all of those than an SR3. Is that about right?

$50k isn’t a whole lot of money for the price of entry.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:04 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
I’ve always perceived going from an SR3 to an SR8 to be a transition from a car that’s on the borderline of self-supportable over to a car where trackside support is pretty much required to consistently enjoy the car. Also that great motor is more efficient at transforming money into speed, grins, and cool noises, so it takes and gives more of all of those than an SR3. Is that about right?

$50k isn’t a whole lot of money for the price of entry.
Why do you think that about supportability? I always operated my SR3 as a one man team. The only time I needed help was taking the nose or tail off / on the car.... and there were always lots of People wanting to help. I don’t know why the SR8 would be any harder?

Also so we just added some new cars to the site.

Charley
Old 09-28-2018, 09:03 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

At MMC which has a good chunk of Radicals, I feel that the SR8s have dwindled in number. In fact I haven't seen one on track in a while.
One longer term Radical driver described driving his SR8 as "violent" and I think he no longer drives it. The SR8 is a ludicrously fast car. Ludicrous speed. My feeling is that it would be a bad choice for anyone looking for their first open cockpit or prototype racer (among us mortals).

Quick Reply: Radical SR8 deal