Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have R7's changed? disturbing grooving

Old 09-15-2018, 12:00 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have R7's changed? disturbing grooving

I’ve been seeing some strange patterning on the R7’s treads that I’ve purchased this year (build dates late '17 and early '18) and I was wondering if anyone else has seen it. I will show you in the pictures below, but on the first heat cycle, I get grooving on the outside of the tire and cracking on the inside. It almost looks like the tread is not properly adhered to the carcass. By the third heat cycle, the grooving on the outside wears down fairly flat, but is still visible till that edge is worn out. Then when I flip the tires on the rim, the crack that formed in the first heat cycle, wears into a groove and then progresses the same way the other edge did till the tire is worn out. It looks like interference with the fender, but it’s not. It appears on first heat cycle and happens on all four tires, inner and outer edges. It happens to the 295 and 315’s I run on the front and the 335’s I run on the back. Did Hoosier change something about their manufacturing process starting mid ’17? It’s a bit unnerving so I’m reaching out for some feedback.

here is what the cracking on the inside of the tire looks like (some picts reflect the tire on the outside only because I'd already run the outer edge through it's life and had just flipped the tire. so that edge has not seen cornering wear yet.)

lastly check out this tear that occurred towards the end of the tire's life. at first I thought this happened during braking, but that part of the tire is not on the ground during braking. then I noticed the tear has material on the inside suggesting it tore from outside to inside during cornering. I've never seen that on my tires before. also, if you look inside the tear, there is a rather smooth surface below the tread. in the past when I've worn a tire past the tread, I'd see the fabric belts, but the tread would be firmly adhered to the belts. here it does not look to be adhered. Kind of making me want to switch to Pirellis for a while till Hoosier shakes this out.

lastly, here's what these tires have looked like at the end of their life. The grooves make their way all the way down. odd

Old 09-15-2018, 01:14 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts

I think that is called a cold tear. It occurs when you go out too hard on the tire before you build heat into it. That's why you see it on the inner or outer 1/3rd of the tire most of the time. You can make that worst with camber setting or going out hard on low starting pressure or a really busy track with less long straights and lots of turns. 8th pic down looks like a popped blister too. Again that is from overheating/overworking a tire. Graining is also related to this. Its the step before cold tear or blister.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:47 AM
cre8fun
Instructor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I think that is called a cold tear. It occurs when you go out too hard on the tire before you build heat into it. That's why you see it on the inner or outer 1/3rd of the tire most of the time. You can make that worst with camber setting or going out hard on low starting pressure or a really busy track with less long straights and lots of turns. 8th pic down looks like a popped blister too. Again that is from overheating/overworking a tire. Graining is also related to this. Its the step before cold tear or blister.
Thanks for input Carl. it's a possible explanation. I've got someone at Hoosier reviewing the picts. will be interested in what they say. what's odd to me, is that I've seen it on my last 5 pair of tires, but never saw it before. as an aside, for each of these, I left the pits 30 psi cold for the initial heat cycle, which is actually higher than what I used to run. as for the track composition (straights vs turns), it's happened at Watkins, Summit Pt and Mid-Ohio. as for camber, Front camber is -3.1, rear is -1.7 and -2.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:48 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Have seen the same in a few recent sets. Cold starts at 26-27 psi followed by immediately leaning on the tire. Worse at abrasive tracks (NJMP). Will be interested to hear what Hoosier says.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:10 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

One thing they won't say is it is their fault! For all we know there is a defect. We have seen hoosier defects before. Hoosier makes the fasted dot-r tire but the worst quality control.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Waiting to hear back in this failure
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was another recent thread about Hoosier tires blowing out at some events this summer.

You should do a search.

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2018, 03:13 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

cant you see the rubber on the blue fender on the pic above. could the fender be touching the tire? it looks suspicious there. I'm running the same sizes you are, but are not seeing this issue. i also see MUCH more tire wear going to the outer rubber mold casing line. its almost like you are running too much pressure.............oh you are. starting out at 30psi is where i end up with pressure btw.
I also see some of that rippling wear sometimes. weird
Old 09-15-2018, 09:26 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thundermoose few years ago had same problem that developed last 10 minutes at the end of my Enduro at Mid-Ohio heard clicking sound as wire rubbed on suspension. Received replacement tire from Bob Woodman after they spoke with Hoosier.

Steve
Old 09-15-2018, 09:59 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by serickson
Thundermoose few years ago had same problem that developed last 10 minutes at the end of my Enduro at Mid-Ohio heard clicking sound as wire rubbed on suspension. Received replacement tire from Bob Woodman after they spoke with Hoosier.

Steve
Thanks. They are with Hoosier right now. We'll see what they say.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Waiting to hear back in this failure
Ah the old wire of death. Seen it on R7s and slicks many many times. One time at Daytona it took out the rear of a 996tt including the intercooler, bumper, and took paint off most of the rear fender. After much hassle and "we have never seen this before" they graciously gave us a new tire. Funny after the third or fourth claim with Hoosier with the same person saying they never saw it before I reminded them that he was the same guy I spoke to the last few times. Then quick deny deny deny but will replace this time.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:01 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Ah the old wire of death. Seen it on R7s and slicks many many times. One time at Daytona it took out the rear of a 996tt e.
It was scary running Hoosiers at Daytona for the Runoffs. Those tires are not for super speedways. My math showed we overload the tires. Hoosier was silent on this. Somehow before Runoffs Hoosier told us to add about 4psi to recommended Hoosier hot pressure 42psi so 46psi! Yeah right...nobody did that! I think SCCA knew what was going to happen and mysteriously we were given 2 warm-up laps before the race started. We all survived...

Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 PM
cajuncroc
Advanced

I've had a similar wear pattern on my R7s. Rechecked camber (front -3.0 and rear -2.0) and toe (front=0 & rear=0) which is my standard setup for the last couple years. I have been starting with slight lower tire pressures, and I figured it was that combined with pushing to hard before they came up to temp and pressures.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:31 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

looks like its hitting the fender, no? over pressure for sure, or too much camber . notice where the wear should be , just hitting the little nubs..
Old 09-16-2018, 12:32 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
It was scary running Hoosiers at Daytona for the Runoffs. Those tires are not for super speedways. My math showed we overload the tires. Hoosier was silent on this. Somehow before Runoffs Hoosier told us to add about 4psi to recommended Hoosier hot pressure 42psi so 46psi! Yeah right...nobody did that! I think SCCA knew what was going to happen and mysteriously we were given 2 warm-up laps before the race started. We all survived...
faster and harder on tires than ACS?? i was running my usual 30psi hot and then followed the consensus of 4 extra PSI on the outboard tires for turn 1-2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: have R7's changed? disturbing grooving