Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Now, that is some cool technology. i might guess it is measuring rim temperature, unless it has something that measures the air in the tire, like a filament, or some type of orifice that generates an air flow through it.. pressure sensors are pretty common now, as we all have them on newer street cars. Again, didnt mean to start a ruckus, but i thought it was interesting to see a 14psi pressure growth with someone's tires, and was curuious how internal temps were measured. so, Paul might this access to tire air temps? Again, its interesting, because ive polled a bunch of friends today regarding their starting and ending pressures and no one has come back with anything over 10psi. what have you seen?
I forgot to mention a clarification to your comment about never seeing a "140F " tracktemp.... I was talking about asphalt temps. (pointing the IR gun on the asphalt). usually when its about 100 to 110 degrees, you can see this kind of temps on the track. still , tire temps were (surface tread) were under 180-200F in the hot pit area.
Mark, you're making this tedious. Yes, the sensors measure internal tire air temp. Yes, they have a sensor just for that. Yes, some are influenced by rim temp, many are not. I have no idea what Paul has access to. I'm talking from my direct experience and data I have seen. I am friends with a bunch of DAGs that have this data from many teams, levels of racing, and different cars. I am also friends with the people that instrument cars for the tire companies and do the tire testing.

I know all about track temps and it's influence on asphalt and it's grip. I have an IR sensor on my car aimed at the track. I can tell you all about how high they get, where they get it, and what it does to grip levels (in general). Different asphalt mixes perform differently at different temps.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And here is a link to the McLaren sensor specs https://www.mclaren.com/appliedtechn...tpms-ir-array/
Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Mark, you're making this tedious. Yes, the sensors measure internal tire air temp. Yes, they have a sensor just for that. Yes, some are influenced by rim temp, many are not. I have no idea what Paul has access to. I'm talking from my direct experience and data I have seen. I am friends with a bunch of DAGs that have this data from many teams, levels of racing, and different cars. I am also friends with the people that instrument cars for the tire companies and do the tire testing.

I know all about track temps and it's influence on asphalt and it's grip. I have an IR sensor on my car aimed at the track. I can tell you all about how high they get, where they get it, and what it does to grip levels (in general). Different asphalt mixes perform differently at different temps.
Hey, its just a discussion. was curiious as how an internal air temp meter could be accurate. remember, the air temp in the tire, is going to be distributed . You said you know about track temps, then why id you seem to be surprised to here of our 140F track temps mentioned at Thunderhill and Laguna last year? yes, and i think we all know about track temps effecting grip.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
And here is a link to the McLaren sensor specs https://www.mclaren.com/appliedtechn...tpms-ir-array/
sounds like a thermistor.. which would be heavily influenced by rim temps. For purposes of racing, ideal! For this discussion. probably not accurate to predict tire pressure.
Board Temperature

On board PTC temperature sensor

Temperature sensor range -10°C to +190°C

Temperature resolution 0.17°
Old 09-19-2018, 11:07 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I'd recommend a rectal thermometer.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I'd recommend a rectal thermometer.
Is that real Mercury or the fake new stuff? Digital? Medical or motorsports opinion?

Lube or no lube?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually i do. I've seen you drive.... You think you are a racer? you get confused by a simple Gas Law chart, so i suspect you dont have much engineering education.. you being a scientist, (My wife was a scientist/ genetic engineer and didnt know much about tire pressures either, so dont feel bad ) You would think that this would be fairly straight forward for you . But one thing for sure, you dont have manners! maybe you should consider a finishing school.
My racing record stands for itself, it's probably a fare bit better than yours. I've seen your videos too, and you always seem to be holding onto a piece of your car. When are you going to fix that piece of ****? You still haven't answered my question. I know, I know. You don't think anything's wrong with you - it's the rest of us who aren't right.

Everyone prepare for the next graph of why Mark shouldn't have to take his meds.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morsini
My racing record stands for itself, it's probably a fare bit better than yours. I've seen your videos too, and you always seem to be holding onto a piece of your car. When are you going to fix that piece of ****? You still haven't answered my question. I know, I know. You don't think anything's wrong with you - it's the rest of us who aren't right.
Everyone prepare for the next graph of why Mark shouldn't have to take his meds.
Mike, you are delusional. ahhh you dont have a racing record.. Funny, my piece of "xxxx" car is about 10 seconds a lap faster than yours, and 10 years older! Now, if it needs "fixing" what needs to be fixed.?? after all you are the expert. After you knock off a few seconds off your lap times, come back and then pop off. Right now, driving a beautiful 993 at Miata lap times is nothing to be proud of or boast about.
i ask a valid question and suddenly you are a doctor? You act like someone that has a few metal defective issues. Again, crawl back under that rock from which you came. this is a place to talk about cars, not your personal mouth diarrhea dump ground

Now, here is a reality check for you. You are 10 seconds slower a lap, You dont run the Hoosiers in the sizes we are talking about, you have absolutely nothing to contribute, but when you do, please get off your knucklehead 8th grader/internet bully rampage and try and contribute something constructive, or just go away. in other words............ grow up!

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-20-2018 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:21 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yet again...a constructive thread driven off course & downhill by kibort. Sad...
Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

I’ve also been seeing the same patterns on my R7s. Last three sets, none before that. I WAS getting some rubbing, confirmed with painter tape on the fender, but this makes me wonder. I have a separate thread here on tires cracking, but that was just one pair of tires with a 2017 date code and Hoosier should be looking at them by now.

I also start at about 27-28 cold, trying not to go over 38 to 40 on the first session, and taking it easy on the first few laps. Have to blend down a couple sessions before things are stable at 36 hot, square. But I’ve been doing exactly this for a few years and this pattern just recently started.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

We are talking hoosiers, are you? Maybe its the small size that might be a difference. could be more moist air ... i assure you , I'm going faster than Paul, in a heavier car with more power, so its not a speed thing. It's the reason i asked. In my group of the fastest car out there at the club races, we are not seeing more than about 7-8psi pressure change and im curious as to why . Ill have to ping my spec miata friends to see if they are seeing higher pressure rises. Also, overdriving the tires can introduce a lot more heat too.. there are a lot of factors. its a side issue.. MIke is making it into a fight. i agree with Paul, if he is seeing 220 internal tire air temps, then that explains much of it. my only question is how. not a fight. just a question.
Maybe it’s because Leguna Seca is such a low grip track
Old 09-20-2018, 12:27 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick
Yet again...a constructive thread driven off course & downhill by kibort. Sad...

Rick Here is what is sad....., dont be a small man... Look, it's clearly Mike and his inadequacies posting and d-railing. HE STARTS at POST #20.... all i asked was how those temps were see by a Paul.... I also was giving my experience with about 30 sets this season with my group of racers buds of the same tire and size..... and your post is" on course"??
Old 09-20-2018, 12:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
Maybe it’s because Leguna Seca is such a low grip track
Haha ....It might be, but the fact that we have seen the same temp rise at Sonoma, Thunderhill, buttonwillow, willlow springs auto club speedway AND Road America, might work against that hypothesis.

Originally Posted by Difool
I’ve also been seeing the same patterns on my R7s. Last three sets, none before that. I WAS getting some rubbing, confirmed with painter tape on the fender, but this makes me wonder. I have a separate thread here on tires cracking, but that was just one pair of tires with a 2017 date code and Hoosier should be looking at them by now.

I also start at about 27-28 cold, trying not to go over 38 to 40 on the first session, and taking it easy on the first few laps. Have to blend down a couple sessions before things are stable at 36 hot, square. But I’ve been doing exactly this for a few years and this pattern just recently started.
are you running the same sizes as discussed here? 295, 315 or 335? How do your accross tire temps look? i know we all found that over 33psi, and the centers are hoter than both outside temp measuring points. at 30-32, it is progressive inner to outer about 5-8 degrees per section.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:50 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
Guess its time to post the link to Hoosier's tech note on how to car for A7 and R7 tires ---> http://www.hoosiertire.com/images/co...s/TCTR7_A7.pdf

The highlights -
  • Cars over 3000 pounds should run 36-40+ hot. Hoosier states the tire may 'feel' better at lower pressure but damage is occurring to the tire.
  • Morning temps below 60F require even more pressure than the stated cold pressure's
  • Never lower the tire back down to the cold pressure's. For a 3000+ car they should START at 30-34
People run these tires with to lower pressure in them and then damage them and expect Hoosier to pick up the tab. If your not using the pressure's Hoosier states is required you will damage the tires, period
There is not one guy at the Runoffs that will run this tire at this high of pressure in the sizes we are talking about here.....90% of the drivers will be targeting for 30 to 34psi HOT

Originally Posted by cre8fun
since I started the thread, I'll be clear. Thanks for the info. I get what Hoosier says and I acknowledge that there's a big difference between what Hoosier "recommends" and what the majority of their users do in terms of pressures they run. (I've actually had friends talk to Hoosier engineers at the track and question them on their printed pressures and those engineers have essentially said they quote them high for CYA and to increase tread longevity.)

I've never asked Hoosier to pick up the tab for anything.
I will likely switch brands for a while. Just looking for feedback from others running Hoosiers.
just curious. as all the T2 and a few of the T1 mustang guys are running this size and not seeing issues this past season. early on, they were 2017s, but later, were 2018 so i dont know if there were any changes. but, im still curious as to those edge wear patterns ,and the black rubbing marks on the fenders.... ive seen that plenty of times before due to rubbing. if it itsnt hitting the fender, what is that from? you really dont think that is contributing to the edge wear or that cracking?

My post was not directed at anyone person, but rather anyone using lower pressure's than what is recommended. I use the recommended pressure's, always have. I personally don't see these issue's and neither do my customers that run the correct pressure's. I have customers that choose not to use the correct pressure's and constantly see issues with their tires, just like these issue's here and other issue's. The moral of the story is, use as intended to get intended results. Anything other than that is liable to fail as you and others have experienced.
So, to add to your data point, I have 5 cars running Hoosiers that are fast enough drivers to use the tire and not experience this issue in about 30 sets of tires this year so far. of the 3 that choose to do their own thing, they have had 5-8 tire failure's.
again, i dont think his lower pressures are a factor here , I would think that the higher pressures might be an issue. the fact remains, most everyone running this size tire is running far below that is recommended by hoosier..... I do agree, that there is a wide spread of drivers on the tire and and some might not take care at 22-24psi during warm up to keep from damaging the tire.. but at 30-32psi seems to be the agreed best pressure range for long life and best grip in a variety of conditions. again, no one running in the front group of the runnoffs using this tire will be running 40+psi hot (according to Paul, and his 14psi temp rise), that would mean starting at 26psi starting.. in fact, if you use recommended 36psi starting temps... and Pauls 14psi pressure increase, you would end up at 50psi operating temps,, which IS over the "recommended" pressure...............so, what would anyone with the facts do here?

Old 09-20-2018, 01:36 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I run the 315 tire. always start at 32 psi and cut my first session short to bleed down to 37-38 where they stay throughout the day. This is on a 996 GT3. My tires, at 38 psi, on my GT3 will allow the car to run 1:58 at WGI. I typically get 32-36 HC out of a set of Hoosiers and never have seen these wear pattern's.

And yes, I have seen a 14 psi change in a tire running at WGI before.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:02 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I run the 315 tire. always start at 32 psi and cut my first session short to bleed down to 37-38 where they stay throughout the day. This is on a 996 GT3. My tires, at 38 psi, on my GT3 will allow the car to run 1:58 at WGI. I typically get 32-36 HC out of a set of Hoosiers and never have seen these wear pattern's.

And yes, I have seen a 14 psi change in a tire running at WGI before.
Interesting information. you start at 32psi and end up with 14ps (sometimes, as you have seen), which means 46psi? and then you bleed down from there? what kind of tread temps are you seeing in the hot pits? so,its also interesting you are running 38psi which is a full 6-8 lbs higher than anyone will be running on that tire and size at the runnoffs. (top 5-10 spots... and ill get data for you if you want). BUT the most interesting thing about your comment is that you get 32 to 36 heat cycles? Again, that is a statistic that I've NEVER heard , in fact almost an order of magnitude (or half that) higher than most see. i get 8-10 before the tires are junk. most people are tossing them at 6-7 heat cycles. Why do you think i get so many decent throwaway (used tires) i get them with 4-5 heat cycles? 32-36 heat cycles? really? are you talking about everytime you go to the grocery store, is a heat cycle?

as a note.. this is on the GT3, which is rear engine obviously and with the higher weight in the rear , this might effect pressure required . Are you also talking about your much smaller front tires too?

heck, maybe we *everyone i know* has it all wrong. illl try what you are doing for the first practice session and see how it feels. i have done this before, however.. i forgot to air down, tires were set at 30psi cold and i ended up at 38psi and the car was skaty as all heck........lowered to 32psi and things were back to normal... i think many here have done the same thing, especially the cars we are talking about . Vets, my car, mustangs, etc, that use this tire on all 4 corners.

so you are saying, a 3000lb , 1:58 car at WG can have tires that last a full 8 race season? that is amazing.

Last edited by mark kibort; 09-20-2018 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: have R7's changed? disturbing grooving