Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-car: Start of my stint in the Lambo at Laguna Seca - Race #2...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 01:27 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts
Default In-car: Start of my stint in the Lambo at Laguna Seca - Race #2...

Here's the first couple laps of in-car from my stint at Laguna Seca this last weekend in the Super Trofeo race. It's a cool series... the cars are lots of fun (and work!) to drive and the officials run a nice event. The mandatory pit stop times take a little getting used to, but I understand why they do it.

Approaching 150MPH into Turn 2....... after the first session I was complaining the brakes weren't very bitey and the braking zones felt too long. Then I looked at the data and realized what our approach speeds were into every braking zone. The cars have really good grip, but even more power than grip. Good times!

-mike
Old 09-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 493 Posts

Nice!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

150 into turn 2............cray cray! Great footage too! fllying!
btw, are you on the pirelli's in that series? (DH's?)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

That’s cool, Mike!

Those things are quicker than GTD cars and approaching GTLM lap times. Fun!
Old 09-12-2018, 08:59 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
150 into turn 2............cray cray! Great footage too! fllying!
btw, are you on the pirelli's in that series? (DH's?)
mclaren senna (trofeo tires) was doing 156 to 161 mph towards turn 2 and making the turn the way it was supposed to.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
mclaren senna (trofeo tires) was doing 156 to 161 mph towards turn 2 and making the turn the way it was supposed to.
McLaren Senna isn't doing 1:24.3-1:25.8, though...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-12-2018, 10:11 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
McLaren Senna isn't doing 1:24.3-1:25.8, though...
This is true. I was just referencing the speed into turn 2.

It'll be sub 1:27 on street tires on a day without having to deal with 90 db's and track all to itself. Amateur at an HPDE day driving his car for the first time with very few clean laps did a 1:32.5 .
Old 09-14-2018, 03:02 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks for posting, Mike. AWD or RWD?
Old 09-14-2018, 10:20 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
This is true. I was just referencing the speed into turn 2.

It'll be sub 1:27 on street tires on a day without having to deal with 90 db's and track all to itself. Amateur at an HPDE day driving his car for the first time with very few clean laps did a 1:32.5 .
i dont think there is a chance he will be running that fast on street tires.. the lift at the tower is definitely a half second or so. but not 5 seconds faster. but, i sure would like to see it.. that means it might be 1:25 on slicks? that would be spectacular

Old 09-15-2018, 01:25 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Thanks for posting, Mike. AWD or RWD?
RWD only... it's a handful. :-)

-mike
Old 09-15-2018, 01:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
RWD only... it's a handful. :-)

-mike
How does it stack up to the ferrari? What was your best time for the weekend? one of our drivers from the last few SCCA races was running the older verson (2016) of the Lambo spec car... running 1:27xx's and guess what, only 15 years old! . he ran most of the season with us, and also ran that same time in the new , 2018 Lambo. Nice when Dad buys you some really cool toys! Steven is a nice kid. he is running the Lambo season next year.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Here is a good video of a P7 contender beginning of the race.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:45 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

How does it stack up to the ferrari? What was your best time for the weekend? one of our drivers from the last few SCCA races was running the older verson (2016) of the Lambo spec car... running 1:27xx's and guess what, only 15 years old! . he ran most of the season with us, and also ran that same time in the new , 2018 Lambo. Nice when Dad buys you some really cool toys! Steven is a nice kid. he is running the Lambo season next year.
Car has a lot more power than the 458 GT3 (with standard BoP, not uncorked) and the Lambo seemed that it liked to be over driven a little bit, but not *too* much. It was really good on the brakes, but didn't feel like it had huge downforce... and it was very aero sensitive when following another car through mid-high speed turns. Brakes were really really good. The TC was much better than the 458 GT3, but the newer GT3 cars all have excellent TC. The ABS was very good as well.

I think my best lap was a 25.0 or 25.3, I can't remember. I never really did a quali lap as I needed to save the tires for my co-driver (even in qualifying)... I burned up and destroyed the first set I went out on and got yelled at (in a friendly co-driver way). In race #2 I think I set the 4th fastest race lap which I was happy with being the first time racing the car. It takes a bit of a unique technique to go fast which I'm still learning. Hope I get to drive one again some time... it really is a lot of fun.

-mike
Old 09-16-2018, 10:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
Car has a lot more power than the 458 GT3 (with standard BoP, not uncorked) and the Lambo seemed that it liked to be over driven a little bit, but not *too* much. It was really good on the brakes, but didn't feel like it had huge downforce... and it was very aero sensitive when following another car through mid-high speed turns. Brakes were really really good. The TC was much better than the 458 GT3, but the newer GT3 cars all have excellent TC. The ABS was very good as well.

I think my best lap was a 25.0 or 25.3, I can't remember. I never really did a quali lap as I needed to save the tires for my co-driver (even in qualifying)... I burned up and destroyed the first set I went out on and got yelled at (in a friendly co-driver way). In race #2 I think I set the 4th fastest race lap which I was happy with being the first time racing the car. It takes a bit of a unique technique to go fast which I'm still learning. Hope I get to drive one again some time... it really is a lot of fun.

-mike
that is SO crazy! 1:25s. i remember when some of the prototypes were running in that range in the early 2000s .. aweseome! what a dream to drive a car like that in a race! the little i saw of the "kid" driving one in my race showed that it did most everything extremely well. (but i couldnt stick around very long to see much ) what pirellis are you on, the DH like WCGT or are you on a stickier compound?

edit: such a great video! perfect camera position , watched the entire segment!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:27 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

what pirellis are you on, the DH like WCGT or are you on a stickier compound?

edit: such a great video! perfect camera position , watched the entire segment!
Ya, Pirelli DH. I think PWC is on DHC this year.

-mike

Quick Reply: In-car: Start of my stint in the Lambo at Laguna Seca - Race #2...