Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raikkonen out, Leclerc in at the Scuderia

Old 09-14-2018, 03:01 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Engineering Driver

And this is I think the secret sauce with Kimi. People see Kimi as a reticent imp, but like Lauda was in his day, Kimi is exceptionally good at communicating with his engineers on setup to get the most out of the car. Vettel enjoyed the fruits of Kimi's Friday testing and tuning.

Ferrari may be investing in its future with Leclerc, but it will be interesting to see how well they handle the absence of Kimi's feedback to the engineers.
Ferrari's loss is Sauber's gain.

Sauber isn't just getting a better driver, the are getting a driver who will help them run a better car and a better team. As long as Kimi has fun with this he will be happy.

Of course... I am a big Kimi fan.

Originally Posted by mehoff
Was always curious about this, so may as well ask here: who are the car set-up savants on the grid? I know HAM is exceptional (hence why he was so crusty last year with ROS getting his data), but who else actually adds real value/speed to the car as opposed to just getting in and hitting the go-fast button?

Think the guys that can communicate and find time with the engineers should be the big $$$ drivers and most sought after for mid-tier organizations to "steward" the team
Old 09-14-2018, 03:04 PM
Imola74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toto also really seems to want a third car per team..interesting. Can you imagine the internal politics if that were to happen? Plus, some teams can barely afford to run two cars as it stands. More cars would be great, but I don't know if thats really the ideal way to expand the grid. Encouraging new teams like somebody from the VW group (Porsche) or BMW making a comeback (won't because of formula e) is the better approach. I'm hopeful that when/if the new 2021 regs rid of the MGU-K (i think?) that it will spark interest in new power unit providers.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:31 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Can you imagine the blocking with a 3rd car? Forget defending your line just get bottas and merc Jr. driver to go 2 wide on every turn while Hammy drives off in the distance. No thanks! I already don't know why I watch F1. Basically it is a 3 car race on a good day with 17 other cars as grid filler. Honestly SpecMiata seems more exciting.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:46 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,196 Likes on 1,565 Posts

This thread begs the questions why Bottas has a seat?

Hammy is in the lead for the WDC and Bottas is behind Kimi in the standings. If Kimi lost his seat why is no one talking about Bottas?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:03 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Hammy is in the lead for the WDC and Bottas is behind Kimi in the standings. If Kimi lost his seat why is no one talking about Bottas?
I think it's because he's a great teammate. He does the sacrificial things that will help the team but hurt the driver; his work at Monza is a good example but it isn't the only one. He's willing to come in 4th if it helps Lewis win. Constructors points is one area where 1 + 4 > 2 + 3.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:09 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I think it's because he's a great teammate. He does the sacrificial things that will help the team but hurt the driver; his work at Monza is a good example but it isn't the only one. He's willing to come in 4th if it helps Lewis win. Constructors points is one area where 1 + 4 > 2 + 3.
Bottas is a true number 2 driver, but that being said, Kimi has more points so he is helping Ferrari more than Bottas is helping Merc!

While Kimi is not a number 2 driver, to the extent Bottas is, he is a good fit with Vettel.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:44 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Bottas is a true number 2 driver, but that being said, Kimi has more points so he is helping Ferrari more than Bottas is helping Merc!

While Kimi is not a number 2 driver, to the extent Bottas is, he is a good fit with Vettel.
Agreed, but this year Kimi might have a better car than Bottas does. Last year it wasn't close:

Old 09-17-2018, 03:54 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Ferrari has not been making good strategy calls for some time this season and last. I think Leclerc may struggle for success while also being made a sacrificial lamb like Kimi has been.
Sure you can race in the opening stages but you may be expected to also block, give up driving line on the start, take a less than optimal strategy so the other teams cover...yada, yada. It's hard to also get consistent podiums doing all that.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Singapore really highlighted this question. Finished what, 40+ seconds back from his teammate and couldn't pass a Renault. I'll tell you what, had DR been where VB was behind Hulk I think he would have made a charge on Seb bc Seb's tire dropoff was so severe. I couldn't believe that Bottas on the yellows couldn't make up ANY time on Seb. That was bad...
Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Agreed, but this year Kimi might have a better car than Bottas does. Last year it wasn't close:
I understand your point but if Hammy is beating Vettel and Kimi than Bottas should be right in there if he was an A-list driver.

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Singapore really highlighted this question. Finished what, 40+ seconds back from his teammate and couldn't pass a Renault. I'll tell you what, had DR been where VB was behind Hulk I think he would have made a charge on Seb bc Seb's tire dropoff was so severe. I couldn't believe that Bottas on the yellows couldn't make up ANY time on Seb. That was bad...
Bottas is a solid driver but that's it. He doesn't know how to get his elbows out nor does he ever make a real bold move. You don't feel the same sense of excitement with other drivers because you know he is only going to take a move so far.

Kimi was much more bold. In my opinion Bottas is the driver who should be gone.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:07 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

I understand your point but if Hammy is beating Vettel and Kimi than Bottas should be right in there if he was an A-list driver.

Bottas is a solid driver but that's it. He doesn't know how to get his elbows out nor does he ever make a real bold move. You don't feel the same sense of excitement with other drivers because you know he is only going to take a move so far.

Kimi was much more bold. In my opinion Bottas is the driver who should be gone.
I agree with you! I think he has the seat because Mercedes has found a formula that works, Hamilton as the show, Bottas as the support. If Formula 1 wasn't a team sport Bottas having that seat would be criminally negligent. But there aren't many guys good enough to drive an F1 car that will take a backseat. Bottas and Kimi are probably the two. If Bottas had insisted on racing Hamilton at whatever race it was this year where he settled for second after the restart they both could have Verstappened out of the race, as an example.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:55 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with you! I think he has the seat because Mercedes has found a formula that works, Hamilton as the show, Bottas as the support. If Formula 1 wasn't a team sport Bottas having that seat would be criminally negligent. But there aren't many guys good enough to drive an F1 car that will take a backseat. Bottas and Kimi are probably the two. If Bottas had insisted on racing Hamilton at whatever race it was this year where he settled for second after the restart they both could have Verstappened out of the race, as an example.
"Verstappened out"... haha, I like that.

How that little ***** isn't compared more often to Crashtor Maldonado is beyond me. Yes, Crashtor also won an F1 race and was close on 1 or 2 more occasions (e.g. engine blew up while he was running very favorably).
Old 09-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is his website site still working? That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com

Looks like they took it down. Bummer
Old 09-18-2018, 01:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I guess after the Hammy/Rosberg years Merc doesn't have the patience to deal with two number 1 drivers.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Vettel-ish
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess after the Hammy/Rosberg years Merc doesn't have the patience to deal with two number 1 drivers.
If you took Rosberg out of that Merc. Is he a #1? I dont know that I have the answer. He was solid. Hard to argue when that car was soooooo good.\

Also the "team" does not care who wins. They want the points. Constructors is all that matters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raikkonen out, Leclerc in at the Scuderia