Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Route from Road America to Laguna Seca?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Photos of Mark at Rennsport VI

A few photos of your car on track . . . it was nice meeting and talking with you and your wife at Rennsport . . . . hope the rest of your trip went well . . .
Regards,
Roy T

Old 11-13-2018, 05:55 PM
M_Weining
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Roy,
Great to meet and chat with you too. Thank you for stopping by and introducing yourself. Also thanks for the photos. Perfect timing: Gregg and I will be sharing info about our trip at our regional PCA meeting this Wednesday night. I will add a few of these to the collection of photos we will be showing.

The rest of the trip went well. We took the southern route home and attended the Hallett PCA test and tune and race, which was the following weekend and right on the way. Track was a lot of fun and the region put on a great event. Very glad we attended.

Mark

To all who provided input:
Thank you so much. Input was very helpful. As most suggested we went out (west) via route 80. A few long but generally gradual climbs, at least compared to two of the down hill sections: past Park City into Salt Lake and west of Reno into the first portion of CA. We came back (east) via the Southern route (route 40): relatively minor climbs and descents compared to route 80. Between bad weather and being exhausted from Rennsport we did not venture on to route 66 much other than gas, food and lodging stops. On a trip like this you gain an whole new perspective on just how big the country is and how beautiful and diverse the terrain is.

'02 Suburban 2500 8.1L 165K mile and 24' ATC aluminum trailer did great. No issues other than consuming a lot of fuel (8.5 mpg, regular gas so that helps a little). Total of 6893 total miles. Race car had two mechanical issues: cracked front rotor (which I was kind of expecting so had a spare set ... should have replaced before the trip) and fuel pump failed three quarters of the way thru the 1st sprint race at Road America.

So glad I made the trip. Lots of great memories.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Obviously too late to assist the OP, but the northern route is the one I'd recommend first, followed by the I-80 route through SLC. Avoid LA, it's just a mess unless you have a morbid desire to visit Las Vegas. The northern route can connect you to I-80 and then into central CA after you've gone over the continental divide, you just make a left after you're over and head for Rock Springs (or Evanston). I've hauled horses over that pass for almost a decade, it's an easy one.

At the base of your ascent over the Rockies on the N. route you'll go through Lander WY. I can recommend stopping there and visiting the Cowfish Bar and Grill. Good food, great beer.

Quick Reply: Best Route from Road America to Laguna Seca?