Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isolated Change of Camber at Trackside with Longacre?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 05:07 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
One is located opposite the track side of the garages. The guy that drives the Lambo and the Vette at Trackmasters and PCA normally parks either next to, or on-top of it. About 50 meters from the shed where you dump used fluids.
I'm not sure where the second one is.
The second one is 50 FT south and a several feet east of the one described, next to a utility pole for ground power
Old 09-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

I ended up buying a Longacre camber gauge and toe plates and have been playing around changing things back and forth on the car today to simulate a trackside change.
The camber gauge seems fairly accurate as it consistently shows 0.9 positive in the rear and Speedsport usually sets 0.8.
I'm seeing a rear toe in of 2mm which is exactly where it was set this season.
I did find a level spot in my barn to play around with but the gauge does allow you to 'zero' any camber the floor might have. Pretty neat.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coochas
I did find a level spot in my barn to play around with but the gauge does allow you to 'zero' any camber the floor might have.
None of them do allow what you are asking.
If you want a level area for each wheel, buy a box of vinyl floor tiles and a laser level. Pick your alignment area in the shop/ barn. Mark each tire location on the floor and move the car out of the way. Find the high corner, put down a tile. Go to the next corner and using the laser on the 1st tile, add tiles to the 2nd corner until it is level with the first. Repeat for the 3rd and 4th corners. Mark those corners with duct tape boxes around the tiles and write down how many tiles in each corner. Put tiles back in the cardboard box for safe keeping unless aligning the car.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:28 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
None of them do allow what you are asking.
If you want a level area for each wheel, buy a box of vinyl floor tiles and a laser level. Pick your alignment area in the shop/ barn. Mark each tire location on the floor and move the car out of the way. Find the high corner, put down a tile. Go to the next corner and using the laser on the 1st tile, add tiles to the 2nd corner until it is level with the first. Repeat for the 3rd and 4th corners. Mark those corners with duct tape boxes around the tiles and write down how many tiles in each corner. Put tiles back in the cardboard box for safe keeping unless aligning the car.
That sounds like a smart way to approach this. Right now, I am just trying to get the basics and a plan in place to make a rough change trackside. So I'm getting to know my camber and toe adjustments!
I am going to compare a Hoosier to my current Goodyears and the Hoosiers require 0.5 more negative camber. In principle my toe should not change much with the camber adjustment according to my FM guru due to the unusual suspension geometry setup. We'll see!
Old 09-26-2018, 05:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I thought I would give some follow up. And again thanks to everyone who chimed in.

I was having trouble reliably reproducing my toe measurements with toe plates so I bought a Longacre toe gauge (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-79620) and a tire scribe which works super well to give really accurate total toe measurements. As it turns out with my suspension geometry, the toe does NOT change at all with a 0.5 degree camber change. I premarked my camber bolts and using my gauge was able to confirm a change of 0.5 trackside at WGI. So I was able to run a Goodyear 255 and a Hoosier R35 in the same day.

The Hoosier has a stiffer sidewall so I'll need to soften up the front compression to continue testing the tire against GY. I had identical best times with the GY and Hoosier but the Hoosier showed remarkably less wear. I'll need to sift through my data but I have a feeling that the max grip in turns was very similar and the braking was not much different.

I plan on running the tire comparison again at WGI and also at MMC to figure out which was I should go next year.

And for those wondering,....yes, I am going to learn to string this winter. I've already ordered special alignment bars for my formula frame and will ask Santa for Smart Strings.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:35 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

I've already ordered special alignment bars for my formula frame and will ask Santa for Smart Strings.
Safe to assume that the inflatable Mark Taylor doll will have to wait until next xmas?

Old 09-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Safe to assume that the inflatable Mark Taylor doll will have to wait until next xmas?
Doll?
Pam wasn't at the event so we all took turns on Mark. There will probably be a Supreme court nominee hearing about it.
Too soon?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:44 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

And for those wondering,....yes, I am going to learn to string this winter. I've already ordered special alignment bars for my formula frame and will ask Santa for Smart Strings.
If you ordered string bars for the FM, then you don't need Smart Strings too. I assume you bought something like the MK setup http://www.mktechnologies.com/produc...g_toe_bars.htm You also want his "string rectractor replacement" It's a tape measure with the tape replaced with a string. No more ***** of knots!
Old 09-27-2018, 12:40 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Doll?
Pam wasn't at the event so we all took turns on Mark. There will probably be a Supreme court nominee hearing about it.
Too soon?
Oh God.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you ordered string bars for the FM, then you don't need Smart Strings too. I assume you bought something like the MK setup http://www.mktechnologies.com/produc...g_toe_bars.htm You also want his "string rectractor replacement" It's a tape measure with the tape replaced with a string. No more ***** of knots!
Thanks Matt! I'll look into that when it's time to order!
Old 09-27-2018, 01:25 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You also want his "string rectractor replacement" It's a tape measure with the tape replaced with a string. No more ***** of knots!
Fishing reels are great too.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:04 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

So do chalk lines. Sans chalk of course.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:52 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Fishing reels are great too.
So your driving coach told you to take up fishing as well?

Quick Reply: Isolated Change of Camber at Trackside with Longacre?