Thoughts on Schroth Rallye?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:06 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Thoughts on Schroth Rallye?

https://www.schrothracing.com/products/tuning

A friend introduced me to these as a method of holding you firmer in seat in a street car for DEs. His car is a street driven car, so not really interested in installing cages, seats, harness and HANS. Seems these are DOT approved for street use, and have the advantage of holding you down almost like a proper harness, but with protection from submarining.

Has anyone used these? Thoughts? Snake oil?

Old 08-30-2018, 09:29 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Schroth makes good quality harnesses. You will hear differing opinions about the wisdom of installing harnesses without a roll bar. Harnesses hold you firmly in an upright position, which is of course what you want - unless the car is involved in a rollover and the roof collapses. Though unlikely, you can imagine the problem in that scenario if you are firmly strapped in and can't duck (or be pushed aside by the roof collapsing on you) ...
Old 08-30-2018, 01:41 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

I understand that idea, but this is supposed to be designed to give in a cash allowing a forward shoulder roll preventing submarining and being bolt upright against roof in event of a rollover.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:30 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Depends on the application. Have seen these in some BMWs and have used the Quickfit (same asm technology) in a couple of cars riding along with instructors. The Quickfit felt fine for 7-8/10ths DE. My understanding is they are not compatible with integrated headrest type seats like those in most Porsches.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have those in my Evora S which came with Recaro Sportster CS seats. Quite liked them, though themsafety feeling is very different from a Porsche with Clubsport cage, proper harness and Simpson Hybrid. They hold you better in seat.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:19 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
https://www.schrothracing.com/products/tuning

A friend introduced me to these as a method of holding you firmer in seat in a street car for DEs. His car is a street driven car, so not really interested in installing cages, seats, harness and HANS. Seems these are DOT approved for street use, and have the advantage of holding you down almost like a proper harness, but with protection from submarining.

Has anyone used these? Thoughts? Snake oil?
I used to have Schroth Quick-Fits in my street E36. The belts were specific to my E36 coupe. From the website description, it seems like the Rallyes are generic Quick-Fits and that is where the rub will come from, at least if you try to participate in TX DE events - the only 4 point belts that are allowed are the specific Quick-Fits. Rallyes would fail tech-inspection. I would expect the rules on 4 point belts nationwide to be very strict - perhaps disallowing all of them. The other problem with the Rallye is none of them appear to be Hans compatible. Only the Quick-Fit pro is Hans compatible. The gap between the lap belt buckles is too great on all but the pro which makes the shoulder belts too wide and they will slip off a Hans.

As for my review of them, they were ok with the factory seats. They hold you better than a 3 point, but not nearly as good as a real 5 or 6 points with a proper seat. I don't think they are a problem at all on the street, and likely better than 3 point. On the track, frankly I think it is better getting proper seats, a roll bar and proper harnesses. It is very much no-man's land between stock seats/stock belts and race seats, 5/6 point belts and roll bar. The Quick-fits attempt to be in between, and they are ok, but limited to very few cars.

Before making any belt/seat/rollbar decisions, check with rules of the places and organizations you plan to run with to avoid an expensive oops.

-Mike
Old 08-31-2018, 08:08 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I will pass along. I got the same impression that these wouldn't work with Porsche type stock seats, but my friend considering them has a WRX.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Schroth Rallye?