Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Ohlins Road and Track for Base 991 Carrera (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1092990-ohlins-road-and-track-for-base-991-carrera.html)

awrryan 08-23-2018 03:25 PM

Ohlins Road and Track for Base 991 Carrera - UPDATED!

I decided to pull the trigger and order a set of Ohlins Road and Track coilovers. They are being installed Monday. I read some good reviews, but mostly on Porsches other than a 991. I thought these may be a good fit since I track my car regularly, but it is not a dedicated track car (despite my best intentions). I have a GMG rollbar, Sabelt seat and harnesses and a GMG seat base, but don't want to go too hard with the suspension since I still really enjoy driving it on the weekends. From what I read, even though the springs are stiff (400 lbs. front / 686 lbs. rear), those who have these coilovers appear pleased with how compliant they are around town when the settings are set towards the softer range. Some have indicated that the ability of the shocks to control bumps is what makes these coilovers liveable despite the stiff spring rates. Does anyone have any experience with Ohlins Road and Track on a 991 or a 997 for that matter? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect (even though I am already committed to them).

Thanks,
Ryan.

Jake951 08-23-2018 04:59 PM

I installed the Ohlins R&T on my 997 GT3. It's way better than the factory PASM on both the street and track. To me it feels like the factory PASM just isn't fast enough to react to sharp bumps so the car bounces a lot. The Ohlins just smother the sharp bumps in a way that PASM does not. Being able to manually adjust the damping does give you a pretty good amount of adjustability to cope with track and street conditions. You do feel the stiffer springs in that the ride motions are quicker but the bump impacts are not harsh or jarring.

The rear dampers are easily adjusted from inside the car at the top of the coilover. The fronts require you to crawl under the car because the adjustment is at the bottom, so it's not as easy as pushing a button inside the car. But I would never go back to the factory setup.

awrryan 08-23-2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jake951 (Post 15238508)
I installed the Ohlins R&T on my 997 GT3. It's way better than the factory PASM on both the street and track. To me it feels like the factory PASM just isn't fast enough to react to sharp bumps so the car bounces a lot. The Ohlins just smother the sharp bumps in a way that PASM does not. Being able to manually adjust the damping does give you a pretty good amount of adjustability to cope with track and street conditions. You do feel the stiffer springs in that the ride motions are quicker but the bump impacts are not harsh or jarring.

The rear dampers are easily adjusted from inside the car at the top of the coilover. The fronts require you to crawl under the car because the adjustment is at the bottom, so it's not as easy as pushing a button inside the car. But I would never go back to the factory setup.

Thanks for your response. I saw some reviews on other cars on YouTube and some described the suspension as so good that their cars wouldn’t get upset over certain portions of roads where their prior coilovers would upset the car. The fact that you had PASM and went “passive” says something. I already read the installation instructions and owners manual and see you’re in Boston where the roads probably aren’t as smoot as south Florida. What settings do you adjust the structure for the road? Do you track? What setting for track. Thanks!

Jake951 08-24-2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by awrryan (Post 15239193)

Thanks for your response. I saw some reviews on other cars on YouTube and some described the suspension as so good that their cars wouldn’t get upset over certain portions of roads where their prior coilovers would upset the car. The fact that you had PASM and went “passive” says something. I already read the installation instructions and owners manual and see you’re in Boston where the roads probably aren’t as smoot as south Florida. What settings do you adjust the structure for the road? Do you track? What setting for track. Thanks!

My GT3 has been primarily a track car that sees some street driving. On the track, I adjust the damping differently for different tracks. For example, at WGI I use settings close to the full stiff end of the range (3 clicks from full stiff in front and 4 clicks in the rear) because WGI is very smooth and very fast. I believe there are 20 click positions in total. Even when driving over the curbs at the Glen, the car does not get upset. On bumpy tracks, I back off a few clicks. On the street I'm running 10 clicks from full stiff in front and 12 clicks in the rear.

And I should mention that my GT3 has a full monoball suspension with no rubber anywhere. That makes the car even stiffer, but it's remarkable how well the Ohlins handle bumps despite this.

993GT 08-24-2018 08:41 PM

have around 40k km's on my R&T's on 996GT2 , really fantastic offering (400/800lb for 996 GT) and has a awesome suppleness, sharp/fast impacts disappear

Matt Lane 08-24-2018 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 993GT (Post 15241384)
have around 40k km's on my R&T's on 996GT2 , really fantastic offering (400/800lb for 996 GT) and has a awesome suppleness, sharp/fast impacts disappear

Hi Rob, that's a great recommendation - in this, about how many track days would you say (just to get an idea)? No rebuild yet?

Secondary question, who's the NA distributor for these? Best retail?

Cheers

Matt

Matt Lane 08-24-2018 09:01 PM

OK, just one more question - for a compromise setup, 400lbs in front seems a bit light (many run 600/800).

Interested to hear your thoughts. I guess it depends on how these shocks are valved? How do you find the balance, specifically on track?

Cheers

Matt

awrryan 08-24-2018 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jake951 (Post 15240528)
My GT3 has been primarily a track car that sees some street driving. On the track, I adjust the damping differently for different tracks. For example, at WGI I use settings close to the full stiff end of the range (3 clicks from full stiff in front and 4 clicks in the rear) because WGI is very smooth and very fast. I believe there are 20 click positions in total. Even when driving over the curbs at the Glen, the car does not get upset. On bumpy tracks, I back off a few clicks. On the street I'm running 10 clicks from full stiff in front and 12 clicks in the rear.

And I should mention that my GT3 has a full monoball suspension with no rubber anywhere. That makes the car even stiffer, but it's remarkable how well the Ohlins handle bumps despite this.

thanks for you taking the time to reply. Appreciate it. Mine may be softer since I’m still on oem bushings, but who knows for how long.

awrryan 08-24-2018 09:49 PM

Did anyone here install thrust bearings with their ohlins?

993GT 08-25-2018 02:18 AM

Unfortunately due to lack of time I've only got a handful or two of trackdays on them :( they are a couple seconds quicker vs stock at my local track... they need a rebuild but still work well, just don't have the pure silkiness of fresh/new at this point. Ohlins USA is the main.
Balance is always more dependent on alignment/sways but I'd say pinpointing down to spring/damper they lean towards more push on trailbrake and more rotation on coast or throttle... very confident setup..but again alignment/sways playing way bigger factor on balance... key words for spring rate split 'road and track', on a back road there is simply a limit to spring rate particularly in front, wheels on ground = fast :)

Originally Posted by Matt Lane (Post 15241404)
Hi Rob, that's a great recommendation - in this, about how many track days would you say (just to get an idea)? No rebuild yet?

Secondary question, who's the NA distributor for these? Best retail?

Cheers

Matt

awrryan 08-25-2018 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by 993GT (Post 15241914)
Unfortunately due to lack of time I've only got a handful or two of trackdays on them :( they are a couple seconds quicker vs stock at my local track... they need a rebuild but still work well, just don't have the pure silkiness of fresh/new at this point. Ohlins USA is the main.
Balance is always more dependent on alignment/sways but I'd say pinpointing down to spring/damper they lean towards more push on trailbrake and more rotation on coast or throttle... very confident setup..but again alignment/sways playing way bigger factor on balance... key words for spring rate split 'road and track', on a back road there is simply a limit to spring rate particularly in front, wheels on ground = fast :)

Are you planning on having them rebuilt? Have you gotten a price?

993GT 08-26-2018 08:21 AM

I may do it before or after I put away for winter, every 30km is the recommended street interval, or 10 hrs racing
Last I checked, roughly $1000+ for all 4, 24hr return service locally

Originally Posted by awrryan (Post 15242798)

Are you planning on having them rebuilt? Have you gotten a price?

Matt Lane 08-26-2018 08:47 PM

Thanks Rob. When you quote that rebuild turnaround, what's/who's local for you? Ohlins or 3rd party?

Reason I ask is that Bilstein gets busy, interested to see what the alternative is.

Cheers

Matt

AAK GTS 08-27-2018 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by awrryan (Post 15238291)
I decided to pull the trigger and order a set of Ohlins Road and Track coilovers. They are being installed Monday. I read some good reviews, but mostly on Porsches other than a 991. I thought these may be a good fit since I track my car regularly, but it is not a dedicated track car (despite my best intentions). I have a GMG rollbar, Sabelt seat and harnesses and a GMG seat base, but don't want to go too hard with the suspension since I still really enjoy driving it on the weekends. From what I read, even though the springs are stiff (400 lbs. front / 686 lbs. rear), those who have these coilovers appear pleased with how compliant they are around town when the settings are set towards the softer range. Some have indicated that the ability of the shocks to control bumps is what makes these coilovers liveable despite the stiff spring rates. Does anyone have any experience with Ohlins Road and Track on a 991 or a 997 for that matter? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect (even though I am already committed to them).

Thanks,
Ryan.

Did you consider the DSC Sport controller instead of coilovers?

awrryan 08-27-2018 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by AAK GTS (Post 15246598)
Did you consider the DSC Sport controller instead of coilovers?

no. Don’t have PASM.