Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins Road and Track for Base 991 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:11 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you like them. Been trying to find a replacement for the PASM shocks on my 997.1 S that are track oriented but can be turned 'down' for the street. These may be the compromise I'm looking for.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:39 AM
Acjtwo
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question..

Originally Posted by Dany Kim
OK, 2 weeks of Ohlins R&T feedback.

My garage intially recommended damper setting of 15/15 clicks from full stiff for both front and rear. For the first few days my impressions were: it’s too stiff for the street. However I decided to give few more days for me to adapt to my new suspension.

Last week I gave up. Decided to adjust 17F/17R in my parking lot. As I turn the adjuster clockwise to full stiff postion, only 12 clicks was made. It was in 12F/13R setting from the garage. I wanted to try a softer setting anyway so went to 17F/17R. I was lucky because 17F/17R felt just like my original factory non-PASM supspension with just a little harsher initial response and less after-shock as I go over a bump. Other than that it was just same which I had driven for 6 years.

Now with a standard point of reference, I tried various settings and now settled at 15F/16R. This is my sweet spot. Perfect compromise between handling and comfort as a DD. I am very happy with Ohlins and the money was well spent. It felt as if I found a lost friend after few years!

Additionally the ride height went down a little. 23mm in the front and 20mm in the rear. A small difference but the car looks right. To my taste this is perfect. Sport PASM option with -20mm in height(or anything equivalent) became a ‘must’ in my next 911 bulid in the future.

Lastly, Thank you everyone for sharing all these useful knowledge and information on Rennlist. There is not much sharing online here in Korea.

Photos;

Ohlins R&T and H&R swaybars.

My new ride height. (Measurement from bottom of each fender to outer rims.)

Corner weight balance. Cross 48.9%. Nothing had to be done.

Welcome back old friend!
I need help please to understand how many clicks would be "the stiffest".. 20 clicks? So the softest 1? I mean.. I really want to go really soft, because here in Mexico streets are horrible, and I really need the softest suspension setup, haven't decided if I should go with olhins or Bilstein or something else.. help thanks..
Old 01-23-2023, 11:04 AM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Acjtwo
I need help please to understand how many clicks would be "the stiffest".. 20 clicks? So the softest 1? I mean.. I really want to go really soft, because here in Mexico streets are horrible, and I really need the softest suspension setup, haven't decided if I should go with olhins or Bilstein or something else.. help thanks..
Note that the Ohlins R&T coilovers (which I have on my 997) have a damping adjuster that primarily controls rebound. In their words, "the adjuster affects the rebound, and also the compression damping to a smaller degree". This adjuster will provide maximum damping (highest stiffness) when it is turned fully clockwise. Each click counter-clockwise will reduce damping (make "softer"). Their recommendations for the different conditions are:

Track 2-7 clicks CCW (from full CW)
Winding Road 5-10 clicks CCW (from full CW)
Street 10-20 clicks CCW (from full CW)

IMO, you will not get a "soft" setting from Ohlins R&T shocks as compared to the OEM system, especially PASM equipped, since you will not have substantial control over compression damping (which is what makes a bumpy road feel harsh).

Hope this helps. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
The Ox (08-30-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 02:39 PM
Acjtwo
AutoX

Default Ohlins T&R vs SPASM & PDDC 991.2 Turbo S

Ok.. so after reading all of your very nice reviews finally decided to pull the trigger for Ohlins T&R.. and soon to be installed, so this is my story..

I live in Puebla, Mexico, and generally speaking we have bumpy roads and highways, I have no problem with my tuned S3 with Bilstein B16, the secret is 18" rims with more sidewall than 19" and "low" pressure 30psi.. I basically love soft stress free fast ride.. I like trackdays but not my priority..

I was lucky to get 2017 991.2 Turbo S.. everything is great about this car.. and I know it's a sport car engineered to be fast and stable, but definitely not designed for Mexico, and thus now being dangerous, because going fast with "stiff" suspension and hitting bumbs upset the car in a very bad way almost to the point of losing control.. I have DSC controller and 30psi tire pressure with MPS4S (Cup 2 where a nightmare, great for trackdays), yes its better ride overall, but still not right where I want..

So I only have 3 things left to try..

- increased sidewall
Going from 245/35/20 to 255/35/20
And 305/30/20 to 315/30/20

- softer tire compound
MPS4S to MPS4S

- Suspension Chance
Hope I didn't make a mistake here.. but I'm here to find out.. can't wait.. I'm excited.. I'll come back with photos I hope and good news..

Alex

Old 03-23-2023, 08:46 PM
Acjtwo
AutoX

Ok.. quick update.. installation was quicker and easier than expected..

Kept the same height.. and set from soft to hard on level 10 from 34 levels.. (0 being the softest)

Not exactly what I expected.. (I need more testing) definitely not softer thank stock, probably about the same, but better absorption especially going fast and not as bouncy..

hard to describe, but I think better overall, much more confidence going faster due to better overall behavior.. not exactly more comfortable (what i was looking for) but happy with the result..

Next upgrade:
- increased sidewall
Going from 245/35/20 to 255/35/20
And 305/30/20 to 315/30/20

Old 03-25-2023, 05:39 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I do about 10-12 track days a year and have outdriven the stock suspension at this point in my ability.

I am also interested in the ohlins r&t but am concerned that my daily drive will be too stiff compared to the stock spams with the DSC.

previously without the dsc the ride was too stiff and crashy.

Have others converted their cars to the ohlins and daily without issue or is the car stiffer than a stock setup controlled with dsc?
Old 03-28-2023, 01:24 PM
Acjtwo
AutoX

Default ohlins r&t

Originally Posted by Rapter
I do about 10-12 track days a year and have outdriven the stock suspension at this point in my ability.

I am also interested in the ohlins r&t but am concerned that my daily drive will be too stiff compared to the stock spams with the DSC.

previously without the dsc the ride was too stiff and crashy.

Have others converted their cars to the ohlins and daily without issue or is the car stiffer than a stock setup controlled with dsc?
I honestly believe after tring ohlins for a little bit, and as other people have pointed out, its really hard to beat porsche suspension engineering..

Nothing wrong with ohlins, yes they are good but not so much better, I feel just about the same, same time in track (a little bit more control), almost same comfort level (I also had DSC)

I'm considering putting bilstein 16 damptronics.. i believe they could be better in comfort..

Old 06-13-2023, 08:18 PM
Acjtwo
AutoX

I'm about to take out the Ohlins T&R, and put Bilstein B16 Damptronics..

Ohlins very good overall until "big" imperfections appear on the road, they bounce too much.. and where I live there's too many imperfections..

I absolutely need Dakar new off road version of the 911 It's perfect for my country.. Sadly there's no conversion kit yet.. I would buy it..

Also about to pull the trigger on these tires:

front 265/40/20
back 315/35/20

less than 1% difference in ratio F/B

more than 15mm more sidewall

Old 08-29-2023, 04:01 PM
Acjtwo
AutoX

Default Ohlins T&R vs Bilstein Damptronic

Fronts.. Bilstein quite larger..

Coils Bilstein also larger and Ohlins are stiffer

Back suspension comparison

​​​​​So Today this is happening..

Nothing wrong with Ohlins at the end I learned to Loved them.. but I'm about to try Bilstein now..

I'll come back later with full review...
The Ox (08-30-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 02:52 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a base '17 Carrera. Just ordered Ohlins (& GT3 control arms), moving up the food chain in PCA DE, in the White group and the base suspension, even with the DSC isn't giving me what I want/need. Am I correct that the DSC is basically useless with the Ohlins since that are passive ?
Old 09-08-2023, 04:02 PM
Acjtwo
AutoX

Originally Posted by The Ox
I have a base '17 Carrera. Just ordered Ohlins (& GT3 control arms), moving up the food chain in PCA DE, in the White group and the base suspension, even with the DSC isn't giving me what I want/need. Am I correct that the DSC is basically useless with the Ohlins since that are passive ?
Well.. the DSC in my car i believe also control PDCC (Active Anti Roll Bar), or DYNAMIC ENGINE MOUNTS,both are optional equipment I think..
Old 09-08-2023, 04:46 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't have PDCC , I'll keep checking. Thanks for the quick reply.
Any updates on the Bilsteins?
Old 09-09-2023, 02:19 PM
Acjtwo
AutoX

Originally Posted by The Ox
I don't have PDCC , I'll keep checking. Thanks for the quick reply.
Any updates on the Bilsteins?
Bilsteins definitely feel much smoother... at the cost of loss of steering response, even in sport mode.. Ohlins felt so much better even at only 17 clicks, at the end they were not too bad, you get used to them.. I need to remove DSC for further testing, I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s.. so that could also change with Cup 2, I also went 1cm higher than ohlins

But right now walking in the other direction making everything smoother.. Dakar mode.. today I will try to fit michelin PS4S 315/35/20 and 265/40/20
Old 09-10-2023, 05:13 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Ohlins R&T owners - has anyone had their shocks rebuilt? Manual says to have them rebuilt after 60k km but I wonder how that translates to HPDE miles/hours or days?

Whats the cost and turnaround time to rebuild the shocks? Is this something only Ohlins does or can I find a local shop?
Old 09-17-2023, 07:38 PM
Acjtwo
AutoX

I would like make a little review about my new Bilstein B16 Damptronic coilovers for 911.. a little summary: well as you know I'm from Mexico and streets and highways are not perfect, so even stock suspension felt in few words: dangerous, decided to first install DSC, and change tires from cup 2 to PS4S, yes there was some improvement, but I also decided to put Ohlins T&R.. I believe they would be perfect if you live in a country with ok roads, for me didn't work, yes they are supreme, stiff but livable, very direct and very responsive, know in retrospective they where better in different way than Bilstein, which I guess it's almost equal to stock.. just better.. I just drove 3 hours to Acapulco, I remember it felt very dangerous before (stock), I would not dare go with Ohlins, and with Bilstein, wow.. there was no danger at all.. jumps, bumps, all in perfect control.. well done Bilstein
BDZ (11-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Ohlins Road and Track for Base 991 Carrera