Sponsored by:

Ohlins Road and Track for Base 991 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 12:18 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Have a great track day...I’m at Sebring next Thursday. You’re Ride height doesn’t look lower than stock. My GTS has Sport PASM and sits lower....a GT3 even lower...you have plenty of room to drop it and get that CG much lower. Have fun!
Is this the PBOC event you are going to? I'm doing two days at Sebring Sept 8-9. Have my garage reserved.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:22 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

NASA. PBIR is not as good as Homestead and Sebring, but I still always have a great time with NASA. I wouldn’t do PBIR in the summer otherwise. And price is reasonable. Interested?
I haven't run with NASA in a long time and cannot do two days and the following weekend going to Sebring for two days.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:16 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
You can also adjust front/rear load transfer by adjusting the relative front/rear shock stiffness. Need more grip in the rear? Soften the rear relative to the front (or stiffen the front relative to the rear). Make adjustments in one click increments. Even one click makes a noticeable change.
Great! Thanks. I'm new to this so I'll take all the help I can get. Makes sense to me (need more grip in rear, soften or stiffen front). I'll be playing with it a lot and hopefully will just get a feel for what I want compared to driving the car stock the last 3 years.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:17 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I haven't run with NASA in a long time and cannot do two days and the following weekend going to Sebring for two days.
I have the same problem. my fiancé would kill me. lol.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:25 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Default With track wheels and tires.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
Is this the PBOC event you are going to? I'm doing two days at Sebring Sept 8-9. Have my garage reserved.
Mo it’s a private day...put on by our forum member TrakCar. About 25 of us going and we are running windows up AC on...thank god! ;-)
Old 10-11-2018, 10:42 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Ryan,
What are your thoughts on them now that you have a few track days on them?
Considering these or JRZ RS Pro's and always looking for user insight.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:06 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BF951
Ryan,
What are your thoughts on them now that you have a few track days on them?
Considering these or JRZ RS Pro's and always looking for user insight.
hey. Only had one day because I had to leave early to address a flood in my home. I have Sebring October 20-21 and will report back since that will be the real test. As for what I have experienced so far, which is one day at Palm Beach international Raceway and street driving, I LOVE them! The car definitely does not feel as stiff as the spring rates suggest, and I think that is because of how well the damping is.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:22 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Enjoy Sebring. I'll keep en eye out for your update.
Track days are over for me in the NE, constant flooding and cooler weather have shortened my season. I can only get my fix if I have something to tinker with.

Cheers!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:08 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BF951
Enjoy Sebring. I'll keep en eye out for your update.
Track days are over for me in the NE, constant flooding and cooler weather have shortened my season. I can only get my fix if I have something to tinker with.

Cheers!
thanks. I’ll shoot you a private message when I respond to let you know I updated this thread. Sorry to hear your season was short. This is how I get my “Fix” too. I have Sebring in December too so that gives me something else to look forward to. I’m also towing my car to the track for the first time in a few days. Using a trailex 7451 so we’ll see how that works.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:26 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Default Update

First: Thanks to everyone who responded with answers to my question and to those who posted about their experiences with Ohlins elsewhere on this and other forums. I had bad water intrusion in my home roughly 3 months ago, had to rent an airbnb for me and my fiance and spend a ridiculous amount of money out of pocket because my carrier is (wrongly) denying my claim. I managed to get 1 day on the Ohlins at PBIR and 2 days at Sebring. I agree that changing the settings by one click makes a difference. I was at 13 front and 12 rear from full stiff and the car was better around PBIR than stock and still very very very good on the streets. Stiffer yes, but not in a bad way. I was faster and more consistent around PBIR and my times dropped. Could be because of suspension or could be because I’m getting better with age. Lol. Car was still compliant and completely fantastic on the street, in my opinion. At Sebring, I increased the stiffness 2 clicks to 11 front and 10 rear from full stiff. In my opinion, this is too stiff for the street. Was defintily ok for Sebring. Sebring is a bumpy track. I’m questioning going stiffer for Sebring, but I’m definitely going to try stiffer. I want the setting soft enough to absorb the bumps, but still feel that I have too much lean. I don’t want to beat up the car or the suspension to badly, but think it can handle it and want to experiment. I was not faster at Sebring than my car stock, but i wasn’t really trying either. Was more of a learning session really trying to get a feel for the car. I also plan on doing sway bars soon, just don’t know exactly what yet. Either way, I love the setup. Perfect for Road & Track, pun intended. Happy to answer specific questions, but in short, car definitely feels more planted and higher speeds feel slower in my opinion since car seems more capable.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 AM
SpeedZ
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So four months later, do you still like them? I’m looking to get a coil over setup but debating between the Ohlins, KW, and Bilsteins...
Old 06-18-2019, 01:22 AM
Dany Kim
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you for posting your experience with these coilovers. I finally decided to swap my non-PASM suspension to Ohlins R&T coilovers on my 991.1 base after reading this post over and over again. It’s hard to hear feedbacks from owners or garages here in Korea since everyone prefers to stay with stock settings. Well, I’ve pulled the trigger and hope to enjoy as much as I can with my new coilovers.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dany Kim
Thank you for posting your experience with these coilovers. I finally decided to swap my non-PASM suspension to Ohlins R&T coilovers on my 991.1 base after reading this post over and over again. It’s hard to hear feedbacks from owners or garages here in Korea since everyone prefers to stay with stock settings. Well, I’ve pulled the trigger and hope to enjoy as much as I can with my new coilovers.

I still love them compared to my non-PASM suspension. Granted, my shocks had about 45000 miles of street and track use, but love the handling with these. Let us know what you think.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 AM
Dany Kim
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

OK, 2 weeks of Ohlins R&T feedback.

My garage intially recommended damper setting of 15/15 clicks from full stiff for both front and rear. For the first few days my impressions were: it’s too stiff for the street. However I decided to give few more days for me to adapt to my new suspension.

Last week I gave up. Decided to adjust 17F/17R in my parking lot. As I turn the adjuster clockwise to full stiff postion, only 12 clicks was made. It was in 12F/13R setting from the garage. I wanted to try a softer setting anyway so went to 17F/17R. I was lucky because 17F/17R felt just like my original factory non-PASM supspension with just a little harsher initial response and less after-shock as I go over a bump. Other than that it was just same which I had driven for 6 years.

Now with a standard point of reference, I tried various settings and now settled at 15F/16R. This is my sweet spot. Perfect compromise between handling and comfort as a DD. I am very happy with Ohlins and the money was well spent. It felt as if I found a lost friend after few years!

Additionally the ride height went down a little. 23mm in the front and 20mm in the rear. A small difference but the car looks right. To my taste this is perfect. Sport PASM option with -20mm in height(or anything equivalent) became a ‘must’ in my next 911 bulid in the future.

Lastly, Thank you everyone for sharing all these useful knowledge and information on Rennlist. There is not much sharing online here in Korea.

Photos;

Ohlins R&T and H&R swaybars.

My new ride height. (Measurement from bottom of each fender to outer rims.)

Corner weight balance. Cross 48.9%. Nothing had to be done.

Welcome back old friend!
The following users liked this post:
BDZ (11-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Ohlins Road and Track for Base 991 Carrera