Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins Road and Track for Base 991 Carrera

Old 08-27-2018, 11:04 PM
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: coilovers installed. Fronts sitting too high. Rears sitting too low. Pics attached. Will hopefully be resolved tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:42 AM
993GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will probably have Paragon do them, Ohlins USA can always do them in short order as well... lots of Ohlins rebuilders out there... I kind of want to get into it myself...
there is NO comparison in service response quality/time vs Bilstein....
Originally Posted by Matt Lane View Post
Thanks Rob. When you quote that rebuild turnaround, what's/who's local for you? Ohlins or 3rd party?

Reason I ask is that Bilstein gets busy, interested to see what the alternative is.

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-28-2018, 02:54 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awrryan View Post
Update: coilovers installed. Fronts sitting too high. Rears sitting too low. Pics attached. Will hopefully be resolved tomorrow.
Since you're going to have to adjust the ride heights, you ought to get the car corner balanced if your shop can do it.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:09 PM
hsmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

This is something i'm interested in doing eventually to my 991 GTS (if they release a kit for my car). Probably the only coilovers i'd consider over OEM. Good luck with your setup. I'm sure its going to be awesome. I've only heard very good things about Ohlins.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:27 PM
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jake951 View Post
Since you're going to have to adjust the ride heights, you ought to get the car corner balanced if your shop can do it.
done. Shop is doing it. About to leave with car for the first drive. Will write back with thoughts.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:28 PM
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hsmith View Post
This is something i'm interested in doing eventually to my 991 GTS (if they release a kit for my car). Probably the only coilovers i'd consider over OEM. Good luck with your setup. I'm sure its going to be awesome. I've only heard very good things about Ohlins.
thanks. I heard and read the same about them. Looking forward to trying them. And I have a track weekend coming up Saturday and Sunday at PBIR
Old 08-28-2018, 06:17 PM
AAK GTS
User

thanks. I heard and read the same about them. Looking forward to trying them. And I have a track weekend coming up Saturday and Sunday at PBIR
Who's hosting the PBIR track day?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:47 PM
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAK GTS View Post
Who's hosting the PBIR track day?
NASA. PBIR is not as good as Homestead and Sebring, but I still always have a great time with NASA. I wouldnít do PBIR in the summer otherwise. And price is reasonable. Interested?
Old 08-28-2018, 10:54 PM
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alright. All installed. Corner balanced and aligned. Car is pulling to the right, but not bringing it back until put a few miles on it to get it settled. Now for the good: car rides amazingly well. I am currently set at 13 from firmest setting of a total of 20 settings. More than comfortable for south Florida roads and can see how even rougher roads would not upset these coilovers. Canít wait to try firmer settings at the track this weekend. No harshness associated with the firmer springs at all with current settings. Taking it to work tomorrow which includes a 120 mile round trip to court in the morning. Iím actually surprised that the springs are as firm as advertised. That is how well damped these coilovers are. Now I see why people say that a firmer spring is not harsh if the shock can handle it. Lowered about 20mm all around. May go a little lower later on.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:10 AM
mdrums
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Have a great track day...I’m at Sebring next Thursday. You’re Ride height doesn’t look lower than stock. My GTS has Sport PASM and sits lower....a GT3 even lower...you have plenty of room to drop it and get that CG much lower. Have fun!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:18 AM
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums View Post
Have a great track day...Iím at Sebring next Thursday. Youíre Ride height doesnít look lower than stock. My GTS has Sport PASM and sits lower....a GT3 even lower...you have plenty of room to drop it and get that CG much lower. Have fun!
thanks. Iím doing Sebring in October. Have a great track day as well! Is it a chin event Thursday? I know it doesnít look that much lower, but it is exactly 20mm lower than stock based upon measurements. I may lower it an additional 5mm but want to give it a chance to settle, if it settles at all. I do agree it could be a tad lower. I was also hesitant to go much lower initially until I had a feel for the shocks and the driveways I usually go over for clearance.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:05 PM
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another update. Car must have settled because it started pulling to the right this morning even more than last night. Brought it back this morning. The right rear was slightly out of alignment (went from 0.17 to .20 which was definitely causing the slight pull). Rear tow was reset. Front toe did not change and was perfect. Car is amazing. Extremely happy with this setup.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:35 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car is amazing. Extremely happy with this setup.
Told ya so! I have yet to hear of anyone disappointed with the Ohlins. Be prepared for a bit of trial and error to figure out the track settings. As I said earlier, I use different settings for different tracks, depending on how smooth they are.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:40 AM
awrryan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jake951 View Post
Told ya so! I have yet to hear of anyone disappointed with the Ohlins. Be prepared for a bit of trial and error to figure out the track settings. As I said earlier, I use different settings for different tracks, depending on how smooth they are.
yup. You were right. I love them. PBIR (Palm Beach) is smoooth so I will dial up the firmness a decent amount but will still start low to get used to it. Fun little project.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

yup. You were right. I love them. PBIR (Palm Beach) is smoooth so I will dial up the firmness a decent amount but will still start low to get used to it. Fun little project.
You can also adjust front/rear load transfer by adjusting the relative front/rear shock stiffness. Need more grip in the rear? Soften the rear relative to the front (or stiffen the front relative to the rear). Make adjustments in one click increments. Even one click makes a noticeable change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: