Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolshirt for DE?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:40 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I've used the vest with cooling packs and with a 3 pt belt it's helpful. With 6pt harness I couldn't keep the shoulder straps tight. The packs shift around and as they melt it got looser.
Old 08-30-2018, 10:43 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Built my own cool suit system and currently used for DEs. It makes a HUGE difference. It's amazing how quickly it cools you down. It is also amazing how much heat your body generates as you can very quickly deplete a cooler full of ice.

As for your question about building the system yourself; while it is cheaper than buying the system, if you want to do a nice job, it is not going to be "cheap". There were a lot of trial and error parts I had to buy to get it all work properly. I also bought custom insulation and sleeving for all of my tubing and wires. It was actually a fun project and it is perfect for my car's application. Either way, start with one of the pre-made shirts. Not worth the effort in my opinion to make your own shirt. The cooler, however, is pretty basic and there are tons of guides. PM if you have questions.

As to modern athetlic shirts, I thought they are considered not good for driving/fires due to the synthetic materials?
Old 09-01-2018, 10:20 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 515 Likes on 276 Posts

We sold a lot of the small portable CoolShirt Kart systems to the local Bandalero racers here in Charlotte over the summer. The bigger version, the Club Bag System is a great option for DE cars that don’t want to install a permanent system. Battery operated, has built in straps to make it easy to strap into the car.

honestly...on a hot day I can’t imagine NOT having the CoolShirt on....

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/pr...oling-systems/

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 09-01-2018, 11:51 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
I've used the vest with cooling packs and with a 3 pt belt it's helpful. With 6pt harness I couldn't keep the shoulder straps tight. The packs shift around and as they melt it got looser.
I now run a cool vest with frozen packs for hot weather DEs. What a difference in your endurance and comfort when your core is kept cool. I wear them over a shirt and my 6 point harness and they fit just fine. The inserts don’t thaw much in 30-40 minute sessions They re-freeze in 20 minutes when thrown in 40 degree ice water too
Old 07-26-2021, 03:55 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey all- digging through threads trying to figure out the right thing to do for Thunderhill at the end of the week.

I'll be in a street car so I'm thinking about the coolshirt mobilecool or club bag.

Since I'll be there for three days and the hotel room doesn't have a freezer. How do people manage this? Bring a cooler and buy ice each morning?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2021, 07:01 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by 519Kris
Hey all- digging through threads trying to figure out the right thing to do for Thunderhill at the end of the week.

I'll be in a street car so I'm thinking about the coolshirt mobilecool or club bag.

Since I'll be there for three days and the hotel room doesn't have a freezer. How do people manage this? Bring a cooler and buy ice each morning?

Thanks!
You stay home. That's what you do.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:09 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Thanks!
I've used the portable bag on hot days and yes bring coolers and pick up ice each morning. If you're driving to/from the track you may be limited on cooler size you can bring. One thing I've done is before the event make some ice blocks ( use cut off milk cartons). I'll use blocks + bagged cube ice in the coolbag. the blocks last longer.
The following users liked this post:
519Kris (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 07:41 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
You stay home. That's what you do.
Probably right. I’ll likely split the difference, enjoy the cool morning sessions, then switch to cold beers in the afternoon.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:45 PM
519Kris
Rennlist Member

Picked up a shirt and club bag today from Wine Country. The club bag is a good size, and it'll easily strap into the passenger seat or possible wedge behind it. For what it's worth, don't bother with the mobilecool bag unless you really need to be portable (instructors jumping into someone's car I guess), you might get 1 session of cooling out of it. Will be using a cooler to store ice in during the day.

Kris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolshirt for DE?