Sponsored by:

Next DE car

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 06:00 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
To answer a few posts, I already have a truck/trailer, so that's not an issue.

If I went SPC (seems to be what many PCA club members are gravitating towards); how difficult is it to take the first step in RC conversion.
Then build it up over a few years.
This is a terrible idea. It makes no sense to build a car unless you want to do the work yourself and learn about the car so you can support it on track.

I built 2 E36 track cars and am in final stages of the second build to a full race car conversion. The costs are astronomical. I only built the second car because I crashed the first one and all of the high value items survived the accident intact. There is a very poor return on the dollars invested for parts, labor, and time on any race car. Along with all the big ticket items like safety gear, engine mods, suspension mods, aero, data acquisition, there are tons and tons of little parts/things that add up. Take the E36 for example... a supposedly "cheap" car. If you change the 20+ bushings/balljoints/spherical joints on the car, you are easily going to spend $$$$ on parts and a lot of time on labor. Want to reinforce those weak RTAB pockets on the chassis? Sure, the part costs $35, except you have to drop the entire rear suspension and grind out the area right next to the fuel tank. Want to avoid fuel starvation? Buy the dual fuel kit and plumb it. It all starts to add up like crazy and when you go to sell the car, most of these things are expected and add very little value to the car.

My next track/race car is going to be purchased with a very clear view as to all the $$$$ it will take to get it to where it needs to be (they all need work).

For the record, the E36 S54 conversion costs a lot of money if you do it right. $10k+, which is far lower than Porsche motor rebuilds/replacements costs, yet is a lot of money for an old platform. The AER leading E46 last year spent $$$,$$$ racing last year during the season! That first $ isn't a 1 either... for a low cost racing series on an older/cheaper platform running on street tires!!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Race car is the answer. My 265hp base Cayman race car is faster everywhere than the 997.2 GT3RS I ran previously. More fun and safer. Cheaper? Well...who knows. The Cayman gets raced which is inherently expensive. But parts are certainly cheaper even if the labor rate is the same. Blew up a motor in the Cayman this year. Cost around $10k to replace. If I did the same in the RS it would have been $50k.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:32 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

If I went SPC (seems to be what many PCA club members are gravitating towards); how difficult is it to take the first step in RC conversion.

Year one - DIY - Strip and lighten, extend hardnesses/fuse box/control unit; get ready for cage and seats. Have a pro weld in cage. Install seats, harnesses.

Year two, engine tranny stuff - short shifter, tranny cooler, PS cooler, deep oil sump, etc. I'll have a pro do most of this work.

Year three, new suspension to SPC limits, livery, etc. Again, have a pro do most of this work.
I’m doing that with a Boxster right now (SPB) and doing similar labor - stripping and some of the easy jobs, letting a shop do the big stuff and whatever has shared labor. I lost a motor which cost ~$5k and cause me to have the shop do more than I had planned to - “while you have the motor out, why not just....” When I get it back next week I’ll have around $30-35k in the Boxster build in total (we’ll see!) and I still need to get a cage in before it’s ready to race. I’ve seen quite a few used SPBs offered for $22-25k, and I’ve heard shops offer full new builds at $40-55k depending on the options (bare minimum vs. all allowed parts vs. all plus data and such etc). So compared to a shop build the DIY route saves some money for a decent amount of time. If it’s fun for you and your first time it’s probably worth it. And it will always cost more than buying a finished car. I probably won’t do another conversion but I’m also glad I did one. It’s been fun and I’m learning a lot through the process.

For SPC I’d bet the analogous figure would be $60-65k+ for a partial DIY if you don’t have any big issues along the way - a typical donor car will cost $15-20k more than an old 986 and the conversion parts cost somewhat more as well.

So if that all sounds good to you, please make a build thread for us to enjoy!
Old 09-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Spec Boxster, F Class Boxster of Gen 1 Cayman are all good choices. Don't forget trailer and tow vehicle - it's s slippery slope but your learning experience will be awesome!
I want to buy a Cup car, but would need to sell my F class Boxster S first. Haven’t listed it but would be looking for $30k which includes a spare engine. PM if interested.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Story:

In 2005, I took my pristine 1987 Carrera to two consecutive track weekends at Sears Point and Thunderhill. The car was just too nice to turn into a track beast, so I sold it and found a 1996 993 to turn into a DE learner car/track weapon. What a fun project that was - both building the car and learning to drive.

The best part was not caring at all about rock chips, etc. when I was on another bumper or dropping a wheel. It was liberating, and let me focus solely on driving. I also recommend a dedicated car for this pursuit.

That meant when I did the build, I made no compromises on safety because I didn't worry about the long-term value of the car. It's also liberating to take a cut off wheel to your roof to remove the sunroof!.

Alas, it's a change in life circumstances for me, so I'm contemplating selling the track beast. I'm worried that it will be hard to find the "right" buyer, but that's a topic for another thread.

To the OP: Go for it! A dedicated car is so much fun.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:52 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Buy a race car that’s already 80-100% built — don’t build one from scratch unless you can do most of the labor yourself AND have nothing better to do with your time and money.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:22 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

How about a Radical?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:59 AM
russell263
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Year one - DIY - Strip and lighten, extend hardnesses/fuse box/control unit; get ready for cage and seats. Have a pro weld in cage. Install seats, harnesses.

Year two, engine tranny stuff - short shifter, tranny cooler, PS cooler, deep oil sump, etc. I'll have a pro do most of this work.

Year three, new suspension to SPC limits, livery, etc. Again, have a pro do most of this work.
If you are considering this option, I will have my "almost" SPC build for sale end of this week. Everything is done except the cage and fire suppression.
Will come with JRZ Pros to hold you over until you sell them and move to the SPC JRZ Rs1 coils.
19,821 miles, less then 1000 on track (DE only), less then 500 miles on all of the suspension, fresh build and everything you need for a SPC race car minus the cage (and suspension swap).

I promise you it is not worth building a car from scratch, I know because I see the numbers on how much $ I am going to lose on this sale... Only selling because I just bought a GTB1 racecar.

Havent gotten around to pictures yet, here is one

Last edited by russell263; 09-06-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 05:33 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

BMW e36 M3 or Boxster
Old 09-11-2018, 04:08 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As an alternative to buying a RC; Someone convince me why converting my current 997.2GTS to RC is a really stupid move.
My gut is it's just too nice of a car. Better to sell and buy a prebuilt RC.
Conversion to RC would devalue the car too much.

However, the car already has a full monoball GT3/RS suspension (except dampers) and GT2 CF seats and harnesses, AIM system

If I convert, I'd shoot for Stock class (J)

Sell:
GT2 CF buckets
Half cage
DSC controller

Buy:
Dampers
Strip/lighten/deletes (radio, AC, etc.)
Welded in cage
Halo seats
Potentially lexan windshields.
Weld sunroof.

Thoughts?

I keep high operating costs and don't get a proper manual (but GT4 clubsport has PDK too....); but would be an awesome platform.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:30 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

As an alternative to buying a RC; Someone convince me why converting my current 997.2GTS to RC is a really stupid move.

However...
There's no "however". Listen to your gut. Makes no sense to ADD $$$ to the car in order to make it LESS valuable on the market. Plus, this scenario corners you into a race class that may not have been your first choice if you were starting with a clean sheet and without a car.

In the end, it's your money -- others have spent theirs on much less sensible things. Someone has to build the race cars that other people buy as completed -- that may as well be you.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

However, the car already has a full monoball GT3/RS suspension (except dampers) and GT2 CF seats and harnesses, AIM system

Sell:
GT2 CF buckets
Half cage
DSC controller

Buy:
Dampers
Welded in cage
Halo seats
Weld sunroof.

Thoughts?

I keep high operating costs and don't get a proper manual (but GT4 clubsport has PDK too....); but would be an awesome platform.
It would be a lot of fun and a quick car. You’d lose money and the car would be really neat. If you do it, take photos and tell us about it.

Issues: I bet you’d spend $20-30k to convert it by the time you’re done (your items, a PDK cooler, a good diff, supplemental oiling modifications to protect your motor, brake system improvements, and just dozens of $100-1000 doodads like window nets, harnesses, fire suppression, switches for coolers, exhaust system upgrades, video and data...), and your car will be worth less than as a street car due to the small market for race cars. Total realized loss around $30-50k maybe? And if you were to lose a motor or tranny you’d spend a big pile of money to replace it.

Bottom line, it would be awesome, but your opportunity cost would be high too - you could buy a nice race car even for the same money as the conversion alone, and additionally by moving platforms you could make choices to better manage your financial risks and running costs while getting into a platform you’d enjoy with hopefully a lot of friends to compete with.

To make it fair, look at options for comparable total race car cost. $50-100k will buy a lot of race car. Things like a 996/997 Cup, a GTB Cayman or building your own SPC, a GT4CS, a very nice prototype instead of a sedan... I had a 997 GTS MT and it would have been a great race car but I suspect those others would be even better.

After deciding I want to race eventually instead of staying with DE, to me one driving question was simply what am I willing to risk, meaning if I lose the motor, someone hits me, or I have a shunt and trash the car, what am I willing to swallow? My answer was “not a ton of money” so I’m in a 986. It’s pretty liberating to just not worry at all about the car.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Sell:
GT2 CF buckets
Half cage
DSC controller

Buy:
Dampers
Welded in cage
Halo seats
Weld sunroof.

Thoughts?

Do you want to spend twice as much money to be 20% slower? Step away from the forums and the car parts websites, and enjoy your car.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:15 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I parked almost right next to you in our last track even in Club Motorsport. You have absolute stunning car (except missing a pedal). Please don't mess with it any more and just enjoy it. I can help you to move to Black group and become an instructor if you wish unless you think you must go racing. There is a new 997.2 class now.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:11 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Currently, dual driving (i.e., double duty) my 997.2 GTS as prepped per my signature.

Lately, I've been thinking the GTS is a bit 'nice' for the DE duty.

I'd like to reduce operating costs including DE insurance, and add safety features (full cage, halo seats, etc.).
I'd also like a proper manual rather than PDK.

However, I'd like to keep costs to a minimum. I would keep the GTS, but put it back to street and not track it.

Thinking Spec Boxster or maybe Spec Cayman (too expensive).

Thoughts?
E46 M3 is pretty capable track car. Here's a lap at WGI

Quick Reply: Next DE car