Sponsored by:

Best 911 Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 04:49 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
For a dedicated track car, you will need a transmission cooler though.
I often wonder how essential this is. I know that almost all race cars have them and most tracked-out cars also do, but how critical is it? I also know that Bodymotion is a big proponent and they've measured ~400*F from 987.1 transmissions.

Here's why I wonder: I've had three 987s and have done 180 DE days among them. None had a trans cooler and none had any trans issues. And I've been pushing them pretty hard for the past few years, even for 45-60 minute sessions in 90+*F. Granted I don't have aftermarket LSD - only stock, weak LSD in my Spyders - and better LSD would create more heat. I asked my race shop if I should get a trans cooler a couple of years ago. His response: "well, you CAN.... it's just another thing that can fail though".

Oh, yeah, and +1 on no oil starvation in 987.2 and 997.2 (and beyond).
Old 08-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I often wonder how essential this is. I know that almost all race cars have them and most tracked-out cars also do, but how critical is it? I also know that Bodymotion is a big proponent and they've measured ~400*F from 987.1 transmissions.

Here's why I wonder: I've had three 987s and have done 180 DE days among them. None had a trans cooler and none had any trans issues. And I've been pushing them pretty hard for the past few years, even for 45-60 minute sessions in 90+*F. Granted I don't have aftermarket LSD - only stock, weak LSD in my Spyders - and better LSD would create more heat. I asked my race shop if I should get a trans cooler a couple of years ago. His response: "well, you CAN.... it's just another thing that can fail though".
Good question - I had a ring & pinion fail on my 987.2 Cayman after an Enduro Race last year when running without a trans cooler. This required a new gearbox. Pulling the gearbox showed the R&P blue. Theory is that short DE sessions are probably ok but longer Enduro races put tremendous heat into these parts. The only thing I heard of ever failing on a trans cooler was the fuse, which is what happened to me.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:51 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Good question - I had a ring & pinion fail on my 987.2 Cayman after an Enduro Race last year when running without a trans cooler. This required a new gearbox. Pulling the gearbox showed the R&P blue. Theory is that short DE sessions are probably ok but longer Enduro races put tremendous heat into these parts. The only thing I heard of ever failing on a trans cooler was the fuse, which is what happened to me.
Frank, thanks for the feedback. Ah, yes, the dreaded R&P in our mid-engine cars..

Quick Reply: Best 911 Track Car